Official 3D art thread - Warband

Users who are viewing this thread

Okay If you dont make alpha's at least bake some of that stuff. Some of that stuff does not need to be moddeled out, it can easily be in a normal map.

xenoargh said:
A 20K model for something like that is very reasonable, basically, if anything, he might want to spend more on areas like the deck so that he can use vertex AO, because it'd really help performance if as much as possible can be tiled or use mirroring.
Yes,that something I am yet deciding; if I uv the deck into one texture sheet or I just throw a tilled texture on it.
making it in fit in one texture will be good for adding details such as computed/fake AO and dirt.but putting a tilled textures will let me get higher resolutions in a cheaper way,right?

OrangeKnight said:
Okay If you dont make alpha's at least bake some of that stuff. Some of that stuff does not need to be moddeled out, it can easily be in a normal map.
A lot of other stuff will be on the normal,but all the things I modeled are necessary for a good looking(the ship is very big)
And I am not wasting polyigon by any way,just trying to put more detail where its needed.

xenoargh said:
Hey, that's cool, though; at least I finally understand it, kind of :smile: 

Thanks for spending the time answering my questions :smile:

No need, I'd like to think you can ask me about this kind of thing any time with no hesitations - after all, i've done the same to you with scripting on a couple of occasions.

OrangeKnight said:

Modeling would probably be cheaper in this case. Imagine how much texture space would need to be used to get any remotely sharp details on the ropes? If they're five or even four sided they'll be perfectly sharp and can be mapped to a 32x32 section of tiling rope texture with no problems. If you wanna map a netting of ropes, for it to not look like ****, it needs to be roughly the same size or slightly smaller pixel-for-pixel that it would be on screen, which could be in excess of 800x800 tris or something. Modeling them is actually more efficient in this case.

BTW xeno, im pretty sure in most modern engines, 1 bit alphatesting is free. That doesn't change the texture space you'd need to use though, so it's still a bad idea to make them on alpha'd planes.

Yeah, I alpha'd the ratlines on my ship and they take up a big chunk of the 2048 texture for the ship and don't look very good. I've been meaning to make them 3d instead and use the texture space for other details.

So here is my barrel, I have some other work but I want to keep it to show you in a better presentation. I know there is a normal Issue in the bottom, should be fixing that. Also the lighting is not great so try not to focus on that. Also I did fix the issue were the top and bottom and metal is darker.
2012-05-04_2304.png
BarrelDiffuse.png

Docm30 said:
Is there a normal-map on that. If so, can we see it?
Sure, The reason it goes a little out of bounds is because I baked it.
2012-05-05_0012.png
Didnt normal the wood or anything because textures are not final yet. But my hi-poly bake normal is there.

OrangeKnight said:
Docm30 said:
2012-05-05_0012.png
Didnt normal the wood or anything because textures are not final yet. But my hi-poly bake normal is there.
The normal map for the sides looks pretty good, but the rest looks sort of broken (did you paint on it at all in photoshop or something?).

Either way, it doesn't seem to be showing right in the 3d image you posted. What program is that rendered in? Could be that one of the channels is facing the wrong way, or that the program in question just isn't working right.

OrangeKnight said:
Docm30 said:
2012-05-05_0012.png

well i guess normal map have inverted green channel
so i just recommend rebake it with R+|G-|B+ (when you are baking here should be such option)

atolest said:
hey guys this is what I've been working on on past 3 weeks:
Render_WIP_3.jpg

OpenBRF_Pre-view.png
it's really wip and it's about 20k polys.I can't whait to start texturing and baking it.

and here are 2 other ships that  I did for a warband project witch will probably never go somewere:
render10.jpg

Woah, very,very good, atolest! Mr. af Chapman would be proud (it is one of his merchant ships, right?). But I see a lot of unnecessary faces, especially midships and below the whales. If you want, send me a pm with a sideview wireframe and I can give you a more detailed comment :smile:

I am wondering how I open one of the games models in wings3d, Because I have no clue how large I should make the body armour im working on

teun557 said:
I am wondering how I open one of the games models in wings3d, Because I have no clue how large I should make the body armour im working on
With OpenBRF, you can open the game's model files (Mount&Blade Warband/common_res/x.brf), than export them as obj to open them at Wings 3d.

I got bored, than made this simple helmet.
resmighelm.png

rgcotl said:
well i guess normal map have inverted green channel
so i just recommend rebake it with R+|G-|B+ (when you are baking here should be such option)

rebaking to flip a channel?  :lol:

Bava said:
atolest said:
hey guys this is what I've been working on on past 3 weeks:
Render_WIP_3.jpg

OpenBRF_Pre-view.png
it's really wip and it's about 20k polys.I can't whait to start texturing and baking it.

and here are 2 other ships that  I did for a warband project witch will probably never go somewere:
render10.jpg

Woah, very,very good, atolest! Mr. af Chapman would be proud (it is one of his merchant ships, right?). But I see a lot of unnecessary faces, especially midships and below the whales. If you want, send me a pm with a sideview wireframe and I can give you a more detailed comment :smile:
Thanks Bava.
Actually it's a 50-gun ship,more precisally the HMS Leopard.You probably thought it was a merchant ship because de lack of cannon holes,the rest of the cannon holes I didn't model because they will be closed,so I will just put it on the texture :smile:
And yes,in the hull there's a lot of unnecessary faces,as I followed the plan.I am probably thinking on making a lower poly model for the hull and use the actual one for putting details and bake(the same for the cabin with is currently kind of high poly)

Docm30 said:
OrangeKnight said:
Docm30 said:
2012-05-05_0012.png
The normal map for the sides looks pretty good, but the rest looks sort of broken (did you paint on it at all in photoshop or something?).

Either way, it doesn't seem to be showing right in the 3d image you posted. What program is that rendered in? Could be that one of the channels is facing the wrong way, or that the program in question just isn't working right.
UDK, Yeah I'm pretty sure its the green channel I had inverted it but it had a problem were it then made one thing go concave. Yes I did paint some things because their was like 1 small error in the bake.

Edit: I painted over my old normal, this one is completly fresh.

OrangeKnight said:

I really can't understand why you people are so afraid of polygons.

A too subdivided mesh with lots of 'idle' vertices are something to worry about; more detailed stuff? Nah.

Normalmaps are a great tool, but not a damn rule.

OrangeKnight said:
So here is my barrel, I have some other work but I want to keep it to show you in a better presentation. I know there is a normal Issue in the bottom, should be fixing that. Also the lighting is not great so try not to focus on that. Also I did fix the issue were the top and bottom and metal is darker.
2012-05-04_2304.png
BarrelDiffuse.png

That's a good example. If you 'wasted' a few polygons to extrude those metal strips a bit it would look far better, without much a hit on polycount  :wink:

@Tatari_okan:

Nice work on the feather.

Don't know if it's a WIP, but it needs attention on the mail/helmet transition, just make an extrusion or something, so the mail will look like it is slightly in other plane than the helmet.

The details are lined black, and are very pointy. Round them and try to blend the color of the lines with the metal below it.

Adding some depth to some parts (such concavities) would give it a more interesting look.

Also, try working around the feather insertion. Adding a noseguard would be good too.

I would but the thing is, looking at refrences the metal rings are very thin. Theirs just no point because it would look odd if it was extracted to far. Thanks for the tip though I'll consider it.

long time no see, never thought i was gonna use zbrush - but stuff happens.

skull for modeling heads, gonna use it as a guide. i consider it done, since it's just gonna help me get better results in head modeling.

aB7BB.png

CurtisWS said:
long time no see, never thought i was gonna use zbrush - but stuff happens.

skull for modeling heads, gonna use it as a guide. i consider it done, since it's just gonna help me get better results in head modeling.

aB7BB.png
o_O really nice skills

A little trainingon a rock
ROCK.jpg

Back
Top Bottom