Official 3D art thread - Warband

Users who are viewing this thread

xenoargh said:
Found time to redo one of Mackie's OSP axes this evening.  I think it's Varangian; please let me know if anybody happens to know precisely what we're dealing with here.  Model by Mackie, uvmap / skin by me.

OpenBRF preview.  600 triangles, 500 verts.  512 skins, about an hour and a half to paint, but it took nearly an hour to fix up the model and redo the uvmap.

mackie_varangian01.jpg
mackie_varangian02.jpg

...aaaand Mackie's two-hander.  608 tris, 480 verts, 512 skins.

mackie_bastard01.jpg

AWESOME  :shock:

Xelvod said:
currently working on roman armor and learning also about texturing, so this is still wip need lots of fix on normal map and texture but this is it for now .

This armors could be good for a total war because of the low polycount, about the texture, it needs lighting and the normalmap is inverted, it seems. however very good work :grin:

Korgoth said:
Maяcel said:
I dont know what i made, but i guess it could be some kind of power generator or storage, guess thats up for your imagination. Its around 680 poly's, will texture it soon :grin:

ogc48w.jpg

To me it looks like a futuristic barrel of beer :grin: That tab is where is comes out
haha, i wouldn't want my beer from this old barrel tho:

generatork.png

I probably should have used 2x1024 texture maps tho, but it looks alright from 5 feet away.

xenoargh said:
Found time to redo one of Mackie's OSP axes this evening.  I think it's Varangian; please let me know if anybody happens to know precisely what we're dealing with here.  Model by Mackie, uvmap / skin by me.

The thicker grip part, the size of the blade and the ball at the top don't look historically convincing and classifying an undecorated axe more accurately than looking like types originally used in scandinavia is rather difficult. Additionally, the weren't really any specific "Varangian axes". They may have borrowed decorations of Roman/Greek design but the mix of Greek and their respective native equipment made them (if at all) look like "Varangians", for example Nordic round shields and two handed axes in combination with byzantine lamellar armor and plumes.

Yeah, I don't know how to classify it either.  The ball, the details of the handle construction, etc., didn't strike me as being period;  that said, I'm not a weapons historian and at the end of the day, it's cool-looking enough to stick into Blood and Steel, so I'm happy  :lol:

@Marcel:  nice!  I really like the plinth!

Bayard-X said:
*Dramatic Music*
*Waves washing sounds*

"Ship ahoy!"

I needed some creative break from doing Renaissance things, so I ventured a little at sea. This model is somehow inspired by mid 17th century French and Dutch ships. I used the following to get informed:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b0/La_Couronne.jpg
http://history.mediaquell.com/files/2009/11/800px-batavia_02-300x225.jpg
http://www.ekkehard-ekki-eumann.de/batavia.jpg
http://www.cocatrez.net/Water/RC_SquareRiggers/GondesenZevenProvincien.jpg

But that's also for it - and since this modell is rather messy at about 9000 polies, I stop working on it. Who ever feels entitled to attempt on some nice texture is free to ask for the file. I return to do Renaissance stuff.

hooo nice!

xenoargh said:

OpenBRF preview.  600 triangles, 500 verts.  512 skins, about an hour and a half to paint, but it took nearly an hour to fix up the model and redo the uvmap.

mackie_varangian01.jpg
mackie_varangian02.jpg

...aaaand Mackie's two-hander.  608 tris, 480 verts, 512 skins.

[
img]http://www.wolfegames.com/TA_Section/mackie_bastard01.jpg[/img]
Axe is not varangian, it has a lot of the elements of different indo/persian tabar axes.

Hmm.  That's an Indo-Persian axe?  The ball looks right, I agree.  But the mounting and the handle feel wrong, and a lot of them look like they're solid iron.  IDK what Mackie was referencing there; I guess I'll have to ask him if he still has the photograph this was sourced from, perhaps it's just not painted correctly and will suddenly look period if it's done in iron, and I'd have two versions of the axe to use, so it's a win-win.

Oh, and:

mackie_basehuitl01.jpg
mackie_basehuitl02.jpg

Fear the basehuitl!

466 tris, 388verts, 512 skins. Model by Mackie, skins and stuff by me.  I hope he's not annoyed that I didn't stick with the baseball theme, but I wanted to see if I could get the pitch to look decent.  It's OK'ish.

Cool house! i would assume that the roof is mainly wheat, if so i think you should definitely add a few planes sticking out here and there to give it more depth.

My first attempt at making some markings on a sword. I think it looks awful. Can anyone give me some tips please?

Uploading to imageshack made it looks really dark :/ Its not that dark

unled1zm.jpg

The black lines are too strong. If you took those outlines to a new layer and multiplied them, that'd probably work a lot better.

Xelvod said:
i made some changes on armor and cloak and few other stuff, it looks better imo.

looks much better, but some parts are just not logical in real life
for example shoulders - if you try us show that this is bronze armor then it must be flex on parts like shoulders other way this man cant fight
another one thing with isn't much historical is the flat end of bottom armor
roman-commander-cuirass-the-eagle-replica.jpg
just look at breastplate armor references if you trying to do it

gaham1 said:
all i got to say to all you art people DAMNNNNN!!! thats good
Agreed! Being able to see the amazing talent of this community in a singlethread is just great.

Korgoth said:
My first attempt at making some markings on a sword. I think it looks awful. Can anyone give me some tips please?

Uploading to imageshack made it looks really dark :/ Its not that dark

unled1zm.jpg
I think it looks really nice!

Back
Top Bottom