Off to London

Users who are viewing this thread

Corndawg

Grandmaster Knight
Hallo all. It's been way too long since I've been on TW and I missed you all, but life tends to get in the way nowadays. That's not the point of this post though.

You see, on Saturday I'll be boarding a plane to Heathrow to spend a week in London. I'll be going on excursions with my Drama director to several theatres as well as to Bath. Our schedule leaves us with a good deal of free time and I was wondering what are some places you guys recommend seeing? We'll obviously be stopping at Stonehenge on our way to Bath, and we'll also be going to Windsor and Stratford to see Shakespeare's place, but I was hoping you'd have some suggestions seeing as how many of you have been to London and a few of you live there. So yeah, thoughts?

Also, I missed you lads/occasional lass.

I hear Bath sucks. Then again, that was from a crazy Scottish bus driver.

Victoria and Albert Museum!

No? Just me then? Alright...

Aside from that all I can really suggest is the West End for theater, but since you're going with your Drama coach thingy, I assume that's a given.

Oh and Baker Street (and Madam Tussaud's) just for the sheer novelty/lameness of it. :3

Just stay away from the London Eye, cause it's boring as ****.

Leofric_TheLucky said:
The Imperial War Museum in London is pretty cool. Its free admission and a pretty good time sink, but only if your interested in that kind of thing I guess.

I highly recommend it, it is far better than the British Museum (of pottery, seriously, it is like 90% pottery). The Roman baths in Bath are pretty interesting too.

Another vouch for the Imperial War Museum, as well as the Natural History Museum. The British Museum changes display every now and then. When I went down last year they were running Ancient Egypt shizzle. Madam Tussauds is crazy-expensive and typically suffers from large queues, spend money elsewhere.

I'm going to tell you now; Shakespeare's house in Stratford is going to be a huge let-down*. Infact, to save you the fuel costs, here is a picture - it's all you'll need. But given that you're American and into drama you'll go anyway.

ShakespeareHouse.jpg

* No really, don't go. You can spend better time elsewhere. Stratford is a ****hole, there's not much else to look at or do for that matter.

Oh that reminds me. You can check out the Globe theater. It isn't the original one per se, but it's built in the same style on the same spot (I think). Open-air amphitheatre-esque.

When I was at the BM in 2008 they had a large Ancient Egypt exhibit too, but they charged quite a bit ot get in so we skipped it. I'd say go to Egypt instead anyway, it is incredibly cheap and fairly safe afaik (just avoid Cairo, its a filthy city anyway)

I believe a few museums are part of our schedule. My director says that Stratford does indeed suck, but I can opt out if I want to. I do hope that the trip lives up to the hype I've built up for myself.

Sure, you can take an all-day long tour of Big Ben if you want.

(Big Ben is what the guy who sleeps outside of Big Ben calls his penis)

Bgfan said:
I'd guess the Globe Theatre would be a pretty cool place to visit. Are people allowed to tour Buckingham? How about Big Ben?

The Globe is definitely something we're doing. It's a loosely guided 7 day trip centered around theatre and we'll be seeing the Globe as one of the main highlights. Probably St. Paul's Cathedral as well. Big Ben I'm bot sure about, and I doubt Buckingham though Windsor is on the schedule. I think we might actually take an acting workshop at the Globe...

Back
Top Bottom