Odd Tactics due Reinforcements

Users who are viewing this thread

Marche

Squire
Apologies if this has been addressed before. I couldn't find it.

So I just started playing this Mod and noticed some weird things happening during battles. I put off the morale system in hopes that it would be solved. It did solve some of the oddities I found, but one thing remained:

Mainly, when reinforcements arrive, the troops seem to return to the reinforcements instead of everyone charging ahead. Normally, the reinforcements just charge ahead to continue the fighting. Now, it seems like they carefully advance in line formation again, until they are close enough for a charge. Did I notice that right? This led to some odd situations, where melee units retreated from their battle with ranged units to catch up again with the reinforcements who carefully advanced. I could almost hear the ranged units cheer, as they grabbed their crossbows again and started to happily fire on the retreating units :smile:

Is there any way to solve this?

I realize this might seem like an inane question, but I don't see it mentioned anywhere in your post.

Are these YOUR troopers that do this, or ENEMY troopers?  Enemy AIs routinely try to regroup when reinforcements arrive, regardless of the wisdom of that decision.

Allied Troopers even !I'm fighting with the Swadians against the Rhodoks. The Enemy Troopers don't do it in the few battles I played, due I assume the fact that they are holding position near their Spawn (So their Orders would be to Hold That Position, which they already do). The Allied Troopers are trying to regroup indeed, but I never noticed this in Native or some other Mod. Hence I'm wondering if it's something that was added to this Mod and if I can put it off somehow (ie. Force the Reinforcements to always Charge).

If you are marshall or otherwise in command of the allied forces, you should be able to stop that behavior by simply reissuing the charge command.

If you're not, then that's just part of the idiocy you've got to deal with when it comes to working with friendly AIs.  It unfortunately happens a lot and I started noticing it in Native after I applied the Battle Sizer myself.  I don't notice it quite as much with enemy AIs because I like to flank positions a lot, so typically when reinforcements show up, the bulk of their main force is hopelessly bogged down among my flankers.

The difference is because formations are not in Native. Troops are trying to get back in formation with the reinforcements. If you keep your troops out of formations this problem is solved for you but the AI it won't.

Aye. I figured that. However it results in very odd situations, where the melee guys, having finally reached the ranged units and finally capable of putting a sword through their heads, move back to get shot by them again. Is there a way to put it off?

Marche said:
Aye. I figured that. However it results in very odd situations, where the melee guys, having finally reached the ranged units and finally capable of putting a sword through their heads, move back to get shot by them again. Is there a way to put it off?

Up your battlesize. Cut down on your respawns and the problem will be minimized, but you can't fix this for the AI without telling them not to use formations.

I'm pretty on my max for battlesize at the moment. My poor pc can't handle much more.

It would be nice if we can somehow disable this new formation script in the game settings in future versions. I really like what I'm seeing in this Mod, but the battles really have some odd things. I noticed some other stuff too after several battles with troops ignoring others, troops trying to fire their crossbow while units are hitting them with melee weapons, troops keeping their formations even while the enemy kills off their mates a few meters away etc.

Marche said:
I'm pretty on my max for battlesize at the moment. My poor pc can't handle much more.

It would be nice if we can somehow disable this new formation script in the game settings in future versions. I really like what I'm seeing in this Mod, but the battles really have some odd things. I noticed some other stuff too after several battles with troops ignoring others, troops trying to fire their crossbow while units are hitting them with melee weapons, troops keeping their formations even while the enemy kills off their mates a few meters away etc.

There is no pity for those that break formation...

Back
Top Bottom