OCEANIC COMMUNITY DISCUSSION: Voice your thoughts

Users who are viewing this thread

Was that last night when you logged in Mord? That was a slaughter. Sarranids spawning and pretty much getting insta-killed by swarms of enemies charging downhill from a superior position.

Loved it.

The games getting old that's all it is. A few guys running around spamming abuse, ruining the flow of play etc... Doesn't kill a game. Truth be told I like a bit of smacktalk ingame, people just need to relax a little and not let it get personal. If you can say ****e ingame and then jump in mumble and be mates with the guy who cares?

Regards the games longevity, Australia/NZ gaming has an awful rate of player retention, as soon as a new "big title" comes out the masses swarm to it for a couple of months until the next one. Very few games have kept a decent sustained population for longer than a year or so in my experience. I think MB:Warband has done well considering it's an indie game in a fickle oceanic gaming community. Just look at the spike in players after the steam release and its subsequent decline... I think the best way to keep the game going is via Mod's. I hate cRPG personally and choose not to play it, but I'm not averse to other mods).

But we can't fight the inevitable, you will always have the hardcore vet's sticking around but don't expect the general gaming community to stick around forever.

Btw, I am the Cuttlef1sh (Got this account before I took the name)

Sadly its quite true about the retention rate. Still some classics around like Day of Defeat and Counterstrike though getting a solid few servers every night, bit of a shame that Warband just hasn't quite attracted as much as it could. Pirates and Vikings / Age of Chivalry still manage to score some players.

Mordaunt said:
I'd just like to point out that months before cRPG came along and "split" the community the community was already "split" between Native and... PWMOD!!!

I spent a few hours on cRPG last night running around carving it up ninja style with a balanced katana and having a great time - then after the second time I got pollbanned (**** you vaim & brodwyn) I joined games_on_net_Battle (finally it's not a test server) to be ganked at spawn repeatedly by 7 KoS khergit horse archers. Not their fault, it was a **** community created map (as a pro mapper I'm qualified to judge), but still not fun.
Variety is the spice of life and mods provide that. Perhaps you guys should migrate to cRPG too - I hear Chadz is in discussion with Taleworlds about a staff position so Warband might head in cRPG direction anyway...

Even I would stop playing Warband if the native game started to go in the direction of time invested grinding becoming a larger factor vs player skill.

I don't mean to say that everything related to cRPG is of a lower standard, its just that once a mod has persistent rewards/advantages that are given out affecting actual gameplay it becomes less of a situation where individuals can stand a relatively fair chance.

We can be pro-active about matters though not all is lost. We have some interesting mods to play around with and they're minute downloads too. The problem is in order to motivate casual players to downlaod these, you need to get them active in the community, which is where clans are important.

Would be good if we had an exernal Oceania only forum to be honest.

Brytenwalda - http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,135589.0.html
Mount&Musket - http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,117110.0.html

Why has this thread turned into a battle about MP mods? :???:

Anyway, I can't speak for other people, but I'm more and more disinterested in the game because it's getting old; as most games do. That and the community is full of *horrible people. At this point I can barely stand playing for an hour, during which there is generally a stream of immature, inane babbling coming up in the chat.

In conclusion, Warband's glory days were in the beta. We're never getting those good times back.

Deal-with-it-Shepard.jpg

*not saying that they are definitively horrible people, just horrible to put up and irritating in the way that they detract from the game with their behaviour; in my personal opinion.

Ah the "Glory" days when i was poll banned 20 times a week from the server.
The game for me went downhill after 0.630 patch.

- they never gave us a decent chat system.
- they made the Server browser WORSE,  i didn't know it was possible to make it WORSE.
- they never advertised the POll starter (crpg tells people the poll starter)\

I could go on..... but i wont.

The GON server setting made things worse for me, Reflective fire, no Free roam and ect,

EVERY-SINGLE server outside of Australia has FUll-FF + Free roam, not to mention proper and ACTIVE admins who disable polls when it is necessary,
and also limit map change polls to 1 every match. I was "Accidentally" admin  banned twice for about 2 days each.

And again, i could go on.......

all those negatives PLUS the lack of server population and its a wonder we have 20-50 daily active members.

MnB native is DEAD to me, But hey it was great bang for the buck while it lasted.
The sole-blood of MnB is MODS.

When people DO get bored of native, and they eventually WILL, It's better for them to try a multi-player mod and stay active outside of native then to
completely leave the game.  MODS are the key to "retaining" oceanic players.

It certainly DOES NOT help to retain the community when we play  LARGE-RANDOM-PLAINS for a full 30-mins. All the vets tried to poll it off but the majority of voters don't know whats going on, while newbies are running around aimlessly.

Thorn, of all your talk of  not scaring off newbies, you sure tend to target them, today you where the most annoying player you runaway-backpeddled for about 30 secsbefore the last  poor bloke alive got close to you and then you back peddled again, and we are all waiting, JUST END IT ALREADY. Don't toy with noobs, i know you enjoy it.
( there are many other OMGWTF THORN moments where you absolutely frustrated the newbies, but i won't go any further.)

Lets congratulate GONDOR shall we, he came into the game at a late stage and amongst vets he was pooned alot, not to mention the chat talk and stupid harassment by certain people,  he stuck it out and developed some skill, Its only hes DETERMINATION that has kept him playing the game. If only others had that trait it would have kept alot more players online.

But eh who cares they bought the game for $10 they played it for a few hours, and that's it, these people have no connection to the game
but what they do have is plenty of reasons to get frustrated and leave.

In conclusion it is inevitable that people will lose interest in native,  but before you  leave the game, Try a mod.

Summary:

Blah people dont like me blah blah
Blah blah blah mount and blade should be like this blah blah blah
Blah blah blah attack against GoN server blah blah blah
Blah blah blah blah blah I understand people thats why i know its like this blah blah blah
Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah Come play cRPG blah blah blah
Blah blah blah Personal attack against Thorn blah blah blah
Blah blah Gondor Blah blah blah
Blah blah come play cRPG

Sometimes if the game doesn't appeal to someone, they're not going to play for long. There's nothing you can do about it.

Nice screenie, that was pre Dojo days for me :smile:.

A high rate of retention isn't gonna happen, a high rate of recruitment *may* happen (steam sales are a good start). Just enjoy the ride.

*is waiting for Akka's inevitable lengthy retaliation*

Hehe, Roman, harsh but you're quite correct :razz:

Shame about mods is that there isn't really any worthwhile ones imo. cRPG is Grindy McGrind (though it does admittedly contribute a different form of gameplay which is probably good if you're into that kind of thing; but I am not), 1866 was a novelty theme that got tired quickly, same with MM and they never really added anything to the game; they sort of just gave it a new coat of paint. Invasion was a good idea but it was the same thing over and over and was pretty unpolished imo (occasional map crashed) and was not tailored to Oceanic clans, so the fascination with it died pretty quickly. Classic PWMod was worthwhile because it actually gave the game new gameplay elements, but the spirit of it was ruined by griefers and it's not up on any servers now because people prefer Fantasy PWMod for some reason. Don't know about any other mods so I can't comment on them personally. Vanilla Warband is still the best game type, imo, but it's just old by now. Adding new maps on the GoN servers was a good move, freshened things up and got me interested in Warband again for a few nights.

Another frustrating aspect making new players leave might be the learning curve for developing any skill, and the fact that for most people their abilites are going to plateau somewhere south of players like Toad, Thorn and the other more adept clan players. I know I'm still rather terrible despite having played since before we even had Aussie servers and I can tell you it's frustrating at times knowing you're pro-bait and you ain't gunna get any better :razz: Another drawback is that with Warband, being a skill based game (rather than say a point and shoot FPS), is that if you stop playing for a little while you lose any edge you may have developed; which is also a drag for casual gamers. New players who got the game for a dime on Steam also arent going to feel the same attatchment to the game that we vets do who nursed it along through the beta days.

Regardless, I doubt the community is the main reason behind the decline, even if it probably is a contributing factor; there are plenty of other reasons for fresh recruits to leave that are probably more influencial. Unfortunately they aren't things we can really help. :???:

saregona said:
Regardless, I doubt the community is the main reason behind the decline, even if it probably is a contributing factor...
Maybe not for the drop in the general population, but I'm pretty sure a lot of clan members (of KoS, SPLH, Rawr, and probably some of Dojo) were discouraged by problems in the community. Same stuff that killed the campaign - people taking things too seriously / assuming evil motives in the other side (and I saw this personally from members of least 4 of the clans).

Butbutbut, Dojo is EEEEEEEEEEEEEVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIL! :sad:

Also: Good post Saregona, pretty much my stance as well. Well, except for the skill bit! I resent the implication that I can't kick names and take ass. :eek:

AlsoAlso: I approve very much of this thread. For once we have done a good job talking about the issues and problems in the community without it turning into an immature argument thread (well, except for Akkadian's posts.)

Back
Top Bottom