OCEANIC COMMUNITY DISCUSSION: Voice your thoughts

Users who are viewing this thread

Can the *****ing stop hello please.

Everyone contributing has a valid point and I empathise. In this regard however, I don't think a singular instance of Gondor being harassed ultimately has led to a decline and/or affect upon some new players decision to continue playing the game. I believe there is an expectation of a thick skinned nature for internet users, especially in multiplayer gaming.

Since the recent sale on Steam for Warband I have reduced my playtime by a certain amount. My reasoning behind that is because for a small period I imagined that by playing at my level on the battle server it would in fact be detrimental to a new players' experience, therefore I made an effort to let the newbies get some unmolested game time in.

Does anyone have a real concern regarding myself and toad's use of alias? Personally I don't see how it can be perceived as trolling. We simply like to use humorous names at times and I'm not entirely sure how that can be considered the act of malicious players. A few people in the community have made comments about it, however in game in my opinion we have only ever responded to taunts and not initiated it.

I'm also more than happy to get on any voip and discuss issues if you're not shy.

Personally, the only time I have issue with alias's in game is when I can't tell who the actual player is.

Now it may not always matter that I know who I am up against, but it is a bit annoying when things like the above video happen and we have no way of figuring out who it is (other than pestering ACC1 to check the game logs). Also some of the names in the past may have been offensive to some (no matter how thick skinned you think some people are). Most of the time I am absolutely fine with it, though I can't talk for others.

Also: Alias's are the reason that so much blame can be heaped on people, not knowing who the person is may lead to accidentally blaming the wrong person for actions in the server.

Thornmisfor said:
My reasoning behind that is because for a small period I imagined that by playing at my level on the battle server it would in fact be detrimental to a new players' experience, therefore I made an effort to let the newbies get some unmolested game time in.
So why are you and your pals in the server right now dominating everyone and generally being idiots?

Just admit it - you tend to be pretty belligerent. And the thin-skinned point isn't very relevant. People should be able to expect that they can join a server and not have to deal with some moran's self-indulgent antics every single time. I'm sure you can be a reasonable person - just tone down your ridiculous japes and stop irritating the other players. If you did that and stopped ****ing up the public matches, people might actually scrim against you and you could pull your stunts then against people who might find them entertaining.

Not sure why I wrote that since it's incredibly obvious, and you clearly don't care how much you piss off the other players.

The reason it feels like the game (native) is dying is because of cRPG. The mod has drained native of many decent players which were the main player base. The mod cRPG has nearly 20 people playing all the time and I can see them in mumble. While on native there might be 6 maybe up to 20 people playing on deathmatch/team deathmatch. Mord should stop hosting cRPG.

As for KEEN using alias that doesnt affect the player base unless they constantly teamkills or annoy randoms which they don't only Gondor. Generally clan members should limit there skill when fighting lots of randoms when there are specials cause that pisses them off.

After that there isn't really more that we (Clanners) can do

Knightmeister said:
Mord should stop hosting cRPG.

Akkadian is the host, Mordaunt hasn't had anything to do with the server for a month now. It's not like Akkadian's going to shut it down anyway, it keeps getting more and more popular by the day...

"Hey guys, you're having fun on a server that's not native. You should shut the server down." - Knightmeister

Is that what you're implying???

superhit1000 said:
"Hey guys, you're having fun on a server that's not native. You should shut the server down." - Knightmeister

I'm sure that's not what he meant.

It isn't that people are playing cRPG that is the problem. It's probably that we lose people in the process of migrating to cRPG. People most likely go over there to escape KEEN. It's simply not fun playing against KEEN when they spam the chat, TK you, and make everyone else on the server leave, so it's just 4v4. cRPG offers a bit of security as it's less about personal skill and more about how much you play it.

(P.S. Why have you been a bit of a **** recently, Spirit? You used to be nice...)

It's sad that thr cRPG has split the community, be we native fans have no right to demand they stop playing it.

Toad and Thorn's aliases are hilarious. I agree with Thorn's idea to cut back from mercilessely dominating newer players because it probably does scare them off. It's the classic case of the game where people say 'oh it's got a small community and it's been around for ages, so you rock up and just get owned by veterans who you'll never be able to kill'. Then the community stays small. Obivously it's not the only reason, but surely it contributes.

But I'd take a different approach, instead of not playing at all, I'm gonna try playing as much as I can. But I'm not gonna aim for a high KDR, I'll try to just make the game more fun by encouraging teamwork, organising formations (always good fun!), telling people to log on to the GON mumble server, telling people to sign up for clans so they can be mentored. A massive recruitment spree by all clans would give the playerbase a jolt. Cause we all know belonging to a clan vastly increases a player's chance of getting good and getting involved in the community.

As for the Gondor video, bloody hell, sorry to admit but I did laugh. But on the other hand Gondor is a legend and you guys shouldn't have done that. It's just griefing and I hope ACC1 gives you a 24hour ban if he catches you doing that. :sad:

Honestly, Gondor, he should be on the front cover of the M&B: Warband DVD case. Can someone post a screenshot of that guy?

I love you Laszlo.
Btw papa lazarou they weren't "dominating" everyone.
They were running around in cheap peasant outfits with default weapons messing around lol.....

Alec{zacool} said:
It isn't that people are playing cRPG that is the problem. It's probably that we lose people in the process of migrating to cRPG. People most likely go over there to escape KEEN. It's simply not fun playing against KEEN when they spam the chat, TK you, and make everyone else on the server leave, so it's just 4v4. cRPG offers a bit of security as it's less about personal skill and more about how much you play it.

Hah, I doubt anyone truly plays cRPG to avoid dealing with KEEN lulz. Picking on Gondor was no different than picking on the legend that is Akkadian in the beta days; lots of people just seemed to find it amusing.

And if anything, the current cRPG playerbase pretty much shuts out new players due to the large proportion of people wearing plate and wielding the best weapons, which they bought after farming EU servers. Most new-entrants get destroyed by a heavily armoured 'vet' a few times and can't be bothered staying.

I think the lull in activity is from a bunch of things.

Thorn is right about older players making it harder for new players to get into the game. It makes it hard to retain new players when the learning curve is so steep and the gap in experienced players and new players is so small. If there is less than 15 or 20 people in the server it makes it worse too, since a few experienced players will just dominate.

For me, native has become a lot less fun since the latest patch came out. It feels like melee combat has deteriorated with the nerf to kick, and with new players finding melee combat difficult it seems like everyone splits between sword/board and archer/xbow which I don't really enjoy. I'm sure there are several players that feel the same way.

I honestly think the cRPG leveling system is taking warband in the wrong direction. I don't like the grind of cRPG either, but the custom gear is awesome and lately each time I jump in there is 10 or more people in the crpg mumble channel which makes warband way more fun. Also I think most people don't realise that the whole point of cRPG is to level a character to use in 'strategus' which is essentially a multiplayer version of the campaign, with an overland map and player based battles over the towns and castles of Calradia. Which is awesome.

Lastly, are there exams for high school/uni coming up? I graduated a couple years ago so I don't really keep track.

In terms of getting new players to stick around, I completely agree with Lazslo. If we can get newer players to use mumble and jump in channel and talk **** with everyone else it will make retaining them more likely. Also we need to recruit more into the clans. If each clan has a massive roster then scrims and intra clan fights can be happening all the time.

Also thanks for starting this off thorn.

Alec{zacool} said:
superhit1000 said:

I'm sure that's not what he meant.

(P.S. Why have you been a bit of a **** recently, Spirit? You used to be nice...)
This is absolute conjecture.  You have simply thrown a bunch of seemingly "bad acts", and have typically thrown it under the "KEEN" banner.  Completely arbitrary ****, once again. 

We do NOT chat spam, and haven't for a long ******** time.

We do NOT tk, and have never done so.

If running around in default armour with no shield is "making everyone leave", then you can go **** yourself buddy.

You are a foolish kid, you should consider keeping your cretinous 'opinion' to yourself.  Every single post reeks of nothing more than a personal vendetta against us.  You never provide us with anything but conjecture (bull**** you've made up in your own thick skull).  Start by actually playing the game for once -- if your reasoning for not playing it is KEEN, then you are seriously seeing **** that nobody else is, not even us. 

Loads of love for the lot of you rectumrammers though, lots of love to be spread amongst the beer bellied brothers amongst us.  Hmmmmeils!

-JeanVII_the_Amphibious

Well, the community is dieing not because of a Fun mod, that takes people away from "OFFICIAL SERVERS" But becuase of the game's age.

You are of coarse assuming, that people who play cRPG would go back  to Native if it was shut down, even so, those players would not play  native
for longer then 30/1 hour sessions, I my self have become bored of native, so much so that towards the end of native's lifespan (for me) ,
I was using novelty weapons like 1h mace, javelin melee just to keep the game exciting and new.

When  discovered cRPG, it put the spark back into warband, for me anyway, Buy any thing from single player plus many weapons added in from various mods
such as the Iberian mace, flamberge  and ect.

I can honestly say without cRPG i would no longer be playing warband, cRPG is played  by people who come back to the game, after being bored of native.

I don't know you guys remember ongst, he was a aus player in beta that lost interest after the release, I've seen him on the crpg server recently, this is a sign that crpg is bringing players back to the oceanic community not "draining" it.

cRPG is progression based on team-work.

you are given an incentive to work as a team, You get gold/xp for every enemy that dies in your proximity.

There is a mis-conception that entering the mod after people have progressed to where plate and ect is hard for new players,
Not true, people in plate move and swing really slow, i would never buy plate, plate also decreased an archers accuracy.

Blabil at lvl 14 was on top of the leader board, while there was plated he-men in the server, he had something like 14-2 ratio, with his little 2-handed axe and merchants outfit.
Same is true for aleczacool who beat me down in chain mail with a 2handed-practice sword.

tale 1-2 hours to get to lvl 14 then 3-4 to get to lvl 24, lvls slow down dramatically after this.

Give it a try, for more then an hour, and you will soon be saving up for that black lammelar Armour you had your eyes on.

which one of you ****ers is going to report jeanvii_the_amphibious to polesmoker_janus_the_31_year_old_american_geography_enthusiast

can you restrain the utmost HAILS

-Grezby_****emshine_Loyal_7/11_Employee

Yah cRPG's beta predicting the decline in Native's popularity is only like .30.

thakey said:
Btw papa lazarou they weren't "dominating" everyone.
They were running around in cheap peasant outfits with default weapons messing around lol.....
I could dominate the players on that server with default gear, and Keenites tend to score a lot higher than I do. But I guess it wasn't much of a point really - it was just funny to read this thread, where Thorn was apparently taking people seriously, while playing in the server which had pretty much been turned into a KEEN clubhouse.

"i don't hold grudges"
papa_lazarou, september 2010

i like you papa, no joke/"TROLL" mate

minor_blessings from jean

~jeans_honour~ friend

--=|J1MMY|=-_KFC_Aficionado

Ease up toad. I actually wanted this to remain civil, regardless of barbs being thrown around.

Laszlo said:
But I'd take a different approach, instead of not playing at all, I'm gonna try playing as much as I can. But I'm not gonna aim for a high KDR, I'll try to just make the game more fun by encouraging teamwork, organising formations (always good fun!), telling people to log on to the GON mumble server, telling people to sign up for clans so they can be mentored. A massive recruitment spree by all clans would give the playerbase a jolt. Cause we all know belonging to a clan vastly increases a player's chance of getting good and getting involved in the community.

Those are great suggestions. It'd be great to encourage more players to join the GON mumble, unfortunately the KEEN vent is private.

Phallas said:
You are of coarse assuming, that people who play cRPG would go back  to Native if it was shut down, even so, those players would not play  native
for longer then 30/1 hour sessions, I my self have become bored of native, so much so that towards the end of native's lifespan (for me) ,
I was using novelty weapons like 1h mace, javelin melee just to keep the game exciting and new.

When  discovered cRPG, it put the spark back into warband, for me anyway, Buy any thing from single player plus many weapons added in from various mods
such as the Iberian mace, flamberge  and ect.

I can honestly say without cRPG i would no longer be playing warband, cRPG is played  by people who come back to the game, after being bored of native.

cRPG is progression based on team-work. you are given an incentive to work as a team, You get gold/xp for every enemy that dies in your proximity.

And thanks for the input Akkadian. I understand your point that some players find refuge in cRPG simply because of its attraction that native is lacking.

One other thing. In terms of actual recruiting and/or promoting Warband itself (obviously I comprehend that its not our 'job' to promote Warband, but if we want a larger population sometimes we have to advertise), what are some popular community hubs that you know of that we could start flooding.

toad is a dead man, baby

jean is the new era

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11299938

fellas, we've got to get this sorted

heading over now, "because she's a little beauty"

i am civil as a ****sketball, bouncing up and down, just ready to be dunked in the ****skethoop

dealt with/dealing chronic blows to all testicular regions of the ****sketfans, hails all!

leaving this thread for now fellas, you guys can be civil, i will laugh at you, even THORN

King_Jean_of_Grezbyshire

Back
Top Bottom