O&O Software: Great HD management Software (30 day trials, full functionality)

Users who are viewing this thread

Instag0

Sergeant Knight at Arms
I haven't been very content with how Windoze handles harddrive stuffs, so I've been questing about looking for good programs. Well, needless to say I've found a company with a bunch of great software. (Click "products" at the top if you're wondering where to find stuff. The stuff I'm using is under the "System Performance" section.)

The Defragger is extremely easily to set up and it runs very smoothly in the background. It also defrags things very well. In addition to it, I've been using their CleverCache 6 program. Like their Defragmenter, it's also very intuitively designed and is very easy to set up. Now, normally I wouldn't trust it to actually work, but I've seen some rather nice results with Company of Heroes.

Before using these programs, Company of Heroes would become very sluggish and stutter quite a bit as maps progressed. However, after using their Defragger and CleverCache programs (yeah, bare with me with this before & after crap), I noticed Company of Heroes no longer had so much damned stuttering. It's a lot more fluid now, and even though my graphics card can't run it extremely fluidly, the two programs have helped tremendously.

I'm looking forward to using other games that I have stuttering in, to see if there's any problem

The best part about all of this, though, is that they offer COMPLETE FUNCTIONALITY FREE (for thirty days :wink: ).

I suggest you guys test 'em out if you've been having any stuttering problems. Oh, and the Defragger Wizard actually can set up things for Gaming computers :O, so I think that may be another reason they work well. They have gamers in mind :smile:.

How much are they paying you?  :razz:

I'll check it out, sounds good for modelers, since Wings seems to drain ram if you're working for a long while.

They're paying me in berliners & frankfurters which Hamburgers deliver.

The other thing is, I have a thing for the German culture and O&O is a German company (been studying the culture & language in class, and know of the history a bit, and I've been there and liked what I saw :smile: ). Plus, it has a 30 day-full functionality trial, and I like what I see. If you don't, just uninstall the bastard and don't worry about it :wink:.

Oh, and there are some interesting settings within CleverCache that you can configure (they give good descriptions as well) so look around. I think there's specifically a bit about how the computer's processor should prioritize its workload-- for programs or for file access.

Anyways, Buxton, make sure ya report back about how Wings3D does. I don't know though, I'm not too optimistic. The program may only help things like games which have to access lots of files on the fly.

Instag0 said:
Anyways, Buxton, make sure ya report back about how Wings3D does. I don't know though, I'm not too optimistic. The program may only help things like games which have to access lots of files on the fly.

I only ever experience a small amount of trouble when I have say, Wings, 3DS Max, Paint.Net, Audacity, Photoshop, Internet Explorer, Msn, UTorrent, WMP and M&B running for say about 6 hours. Then I get a bit bored and want to play S.T.A.L.K.E.R., but it begins to slow.

I usually just do a quick reboot, but I'm thinking this software will just restore my ram, so I wont need to  :smile:

Making a shortcut that does this:

Code:
%windir%\system32\rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks

seems to help when its been running for a while and everything's been driven into the mud.

Oooh, that's helpful. But sometimes, like when playing file-heavy full-screen games, you can't have the time to do stuff like that. CleverCache seems to do its job well enough for me, and I might end up wasting my money on it anyway :wink:.

Warning: I messed with just one setting (processor one) in it, though, and stuff started to go haywire. I told CleverCache to have the processor strongly favor foreground applications, and stuff like my sound and firewall started going wonky. I had to reinstall CleverCache to fix the problem. Just be mindful when changing settings, and know that they could potentially cause harm. Probably best to just leave it on its system defaults.

Update: I've been having a few odd sound issues which disappear when I disable CleverCache, so I think it's causing a problem. I think it may have been doing so because it was prioritizing the file system over my memory. I'm currently setting it to the "Maximize Memory" profile, so hopefully that'll work. I wasn't having ANY problems for a day using it, though, so I could probably fix it by just completely uninstalling the program and installing it again (reinstall through its setup.exe didn't work).

Back
Top Bottom