[NW][M]Iron Europe - WWI Mod (RELEASED)

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Connzcdf said:
hudson57 said:
Will tranches have underground bits like the one in blackadder.i know the Pvts sleeped in what ever offed cover but officers had underground huts to sleep inside.will those be in the mod?
They were called dugouts some were deep, others literally just shelter. I felt that I needed to add the end information.
Back in the days of that other WW1 mod, I made some of those shelters. I'll see if I can hunt down the screenshots.

Nope, cant find them. They seem to have disappeared along the old sub-board. Pity.

1230086408349kb7.jpg

yes it is. He's wearing his pack in what militaries call "existence" configuration (or maybe in that period, marching) which probably isn't entirely correct. This style of rig is almost impossible to fight in - it would be worn on the march and unloaded when encamped.

If you look at photos of ww1 soldiers (and really, almost any soldiers from any era) the rucksack and camping gear would usually be shown while marching or while posing for a photo before being "shipped out."

If you check combat photographs you will almost never see a full pack on a soldier.

This is a good example of what i mean.
wwi1color.jpg

Usually the french would, like other armies, remove the rucksack and leave the magazine pouches and gas mask, and maybe a haversack on the rig. It was only early in the war that fighting was conducted with full kit on - they probably realised they might as well unload everything once the fighting became static.

Around 1918 you are more likely to see soldiers wearing full rigs because - you guessed it - the fight was finally moving again

They also used a so called "assault roll" later in the war. People familiar with the ww2 soviet army will know what i mean. This was a canvas sheet (probably usually the tent) which had gear rolled into it, and the resulting "tube" was wrapped around the torso. From 1917 onwards this would be the more common method of carrying supplies up to the next trench on "limited operations."

assaultroll88br.jpg

The problem i suppose, is that often they would be required to take the full backpack if moving up to the next trench permanently. Likewise in photos you can find where troops are moving up, often some will be wearing the full rig while others will wear the roll.

I suppose in an MnB mod no troop movement is ever going to exceed a kilometre - so it's probably most appropriate to use the assault roll or just minimalistic combat load.

on another note - the french horizon blue was notorious for having no real consistency in colour. You should see if azrooh will write you a script to randomise the "armour" to different coloured skins :wink:

So thts what those tubes are. You see them in nw and mm and after a while i just assumed they were blankets or roll mats

That must've been pttetty uncomfortable thouhh

Cosmic_Nate said:
So thts what those tubes are. You see them in nw and mm and after a while i just assumed they were blankets or roll mats

That must've been pttetty uncomfortable thouhh

it would most definitely be more comfortable to run and crawl and shoot with than a full marching load :grin:

@Harry, I've seen several photos of men wearing the whole pack into the battle along with men wearing minimal gear. Like you said, leaving most of their gear behind posed a problem when men were trying to take permanently capture trenches. Which is why the plan is to have men with full gear and men with minimal gear. French uniform color inconsistency is already something we were thinking of doing.

@Harry, I've seen several photos of men wearing the whole pack into the battle along with men wearing minimal gear. Like you said, leaving most of their gear behind posed a problem when men were trying to take permanently capture trenches. Which is why the plan is to have men with full gear and men with minimal gear.

That should work, as long as the majority are in light gear as no amount of serious marching is gunna be done on a MnB map.
This is probably crazy, but itd be interesting if you could pick up and drop your pack at any point. If you have a stamina system, stamina could drop super quickly when wearing the full load (as well as maybe a small speed decrease) but if wearing a full back you could capture trenches faster, as an abstracted way of portraying being in "good supply." So you could risk getting tired or being an easy target in no mans land for a small bonus at the other end, or travel light and work like a true trench raider.
I dunno, maybe theres something already in place for that kind of thing.

chargerz43 said:
I wonder why their uniform was blue..

Reportedly the light blue worked pretty well once it faded a bit and had some mud rubbed into it. (plus, the actual delivered cloth ranged from grey blue to an almost greeny colour as well as a kind of navy blue) The choice for blue might be a case of tradition - they just picked a more muted shade because well... if you check the uniforms most the french were wearing in 1914 you'll know why.

the foreign legion and colonial troops wore khaki

Cosmic_Nate said:
In NW and MM they're greatcoats. Some countries like Russia and Prussia issued greatcoats specifically designed to be rolled like that. A lot of officers from other countries rolled their coats like that to carry things in (like the assault rolls of later) as they weren't issued knapsacks.

Harry_ said:
@Harry, I've seen several photos of men wearing the whole pack into the battle along with men wearing minimal gear. Like you said, leaving most of their gear behind posed a problem when men were trying to take permanently capture trenches. Which is why the plan is to have men with full gear and men with minimal gear.

That should work, as long as the majority are in light gear as no amount of serious marching is gunna be done on a MnB map.
This is probably crazy, but itd be interesting if you could pick up and drop your pack at any point. If you have a stamina system, stamina could drop super quickly when wearing the full load (as well as maybe a small speed decrease) but if wearing a full back you could capture trenches faster, as an abstracted way of portraying being in "good supply." So you could risk getting tired or being an easy target in no mans land for a small bonus at the other end, or travel light and work like a true trench raider.
I dunno, maybe theres something already in place for that kind of thing.

Wow, I was literally thinking the exact same thing. Even with the stuff on capturing trenches faster and speed decrease.

Well I've seen some photos from the war, of soldiers carrying their full kit as they go over the top. Mostly of the British and Canadians, but I don't know how frequent it was. I'm sure it slowed them down, but like you guys say, there was the benefit of having all of your supplies with you when you (hopefully) took the opposing trench. Anyways, I'm just rambling, trust Harry on this matter. :razz:
a11_world_war_1_trench_warefare_13.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom