npc speech ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Voice acting?
There were audio files for some wanderer's in the beta data, but in the game none of them talk.
Don't know if anything will be added later, probably bottom of priority list.

Why the f*ck aren't they adding voices? Even Skyrim has voice acting, and every new release has it as a matter of course (e.g., Red Dead Redemption 2, Metro Exodus, etc.). Yes, you have to record voice lines, but the developers have had 8 years to hire actor/actresses to do that, and given the level of interest in the game you'd think it would be an obvious thing to do. When I ran into Istriana I was shocked, thinking that somehow I had muted dialogue for the whole game. Even though her dialogue is half-assed it is such an obvious "must-do" that I can't believe they didn't spend the time and money to voice at least the NPC dialogue. I'm used to having the hero be silent in first-person shooters, but f*ck it would be great to have an Arthur Morgan-like experience in Mount and Blade.

It's the same thing with upgrading villages: Instead of finding creative ways to work around the issue they just gave up on it. I am afraid this game is going to be very average, it will be mods that make it decent.

I agree with @stevehoos, a simple "my lord" would suffice.
I really hope TW will make a toggle or even better drop the voice acting all together!

Modders will surely save the day, but WTF, do they ALWAYS save the day? Gratis??

I guess they're moving to a Skyrim model: "We're happy to take your money but f*ck if we're going to update this sh*t for you. Let those college students in comp sci fix everything for us with mods for free." Really sad, given that we have studios like CD Projekt Red killing it with Witcher 3 and now announcing that Cyberpunk 2077 is delayed until November 2020 because (and I paraphrase) "even though the game works fine now we want to spend another three months working out any remaining bugs before we release it." This early-release cr*p feels very much like a Windows update -- let's let the masses act as test subjects for us, because millions of people testing our software for free is the easiest way to make it work. I could sort of understand if the studio did an early release of a game that mostly worked, and then incorporated whatever cool things modders added to the game, but Bannerlord has been on early release since April and we now have four months of millions of people playing it, and it's still constantly crashing. Not to be a d*ck, but whatever happened to releasing a product that actually works as intended?

Not to be a d*ck, but whatever happened to releasing a product that actually works as intended?

That practice disappeared in the Early 90s together with common sense, critic sense, good manners,culture, patience, sense of responsibility, courting and manhood...I am missing many, but I am sure I made you sad enough already:wink:

What you wrote is the forbidden text nowadays, you speak of facts and logic, heresy!!
I kind of understand these Companies, with customers who eat, praise and defend any trash you throw at them, what incentive do they have to do better? I see it also in my RL business and in any other Industry in the Galaxy.

That practice disappeared in the Early 90s together with common sense, critic sense, good manners,culture, patience, sense of responsibility, courting and manhood...I am missing many, but I am sure I made you sad enough already:wink:

....Jesus Christ....courting... you literally used the word courting... I'm not getting into that discussion... just... whoa...

will there be npc speech in game
like istriana ?

There was a number of files suggesting they have already lined up what type of actors they want for each role. Bare in mind audio files are the LAST thing that gets added. Why might you ask? because the text might need to change beforehand; nothing in this game is finalised and everything can and will be changed.

So yes some audio will be coming, no it won't be coming soon, yes this is completely normal and logical for game development. You do the thing you can't change last...

Apart that I am not native English speaking, are you able to elaborate your concept in a more educated manner?
I'm just baffled by your rose-tinted view of the 90's like it was some golden era... and the idea that Courting was a tradition of the 90's... maybe the 1890's...

I'm just baffled by your rose-tinted view of the 90's like it was some golden era... and the idea that Courting was a tradition of the 90's... maybe the 1890's...
Maybe...and only maybe...we had different life experiences and education, what do you think? You know? We are all different and all...
What a useless remark you did, it would have been more constructive if you would have kept the topic.

I agree even a simple one liner like something from baldurs gate 2 a 20 year old game would be nice.

....Jesus Christ....courting... you literally used the word courting... I'm not getting into that discussion... just... whoa...

There was a number of files suggesting they have already lined up what type of actors they want for each role. Bare in mind audio files are the LAST thing that gets added. Why might you ask? because the text might need to change beforehand; nothing in this game is finalised and everything can and will be changed.

So yes some audio will be coming, no it won't be coming soon, yes this is completely normal and logical for game development. You do the thing you can't change last...

I'll be really psyched if you're right and the devs have a surprise Easter egg of voice acting to drop on us in 6-7 months fully integrated into the game. I just did the scene with Istriana again and I thought, okay, that's half-baked but pretty damn good considering. So if they get 50 more notables with voice lines and have a mix of voiced and silent (a la Fuz Ro Doh) I would be happy with that. Not satisfied, because I think they really should go balls-to-the wall and have every line voiced and then add a ton more dialogue options and regional music, but again maybe they are just being sneaky and waiting to announce those plans.

I'm amazed at the amount of folks who purchased an early access game and don't understand that early access means unfinished.... Yes.... we literally paid to be allowed to test an unfinished game... that's what purchasing early access means. TW did a really good job of pointing that out on their Steam page as well.

The main reason I bought an early access game was that I find it fun to test and contribute to its maturation. And also hoping I got it at a discount from what the full release will cost. And being that I've already gotten 200+ hours of enjoyment out of it, I've more than gotten my return on entertainment dollars. I imagine I'm far from alone in that.

But back to the topic actually at hand: fully voiced main quest and some of the side quests would be pretty sweet. But having to listen to the same voiceover repeatedly doing the "radiant" quests would get old really fast. I already click through the dialogue without reading it as it is, since it's always the same. No real point in a voice over the player is only going to listen to once and then rush through every other time. Not worth the time or money it would cost. I can't imagine many folks playing this game interested in much else besides the sandbox gameplay, which is mostly the point. Everything past that is just side dressing. I'd rather the devs spend all their time polishing the sandbox/campaign/simulation/battle aspects, as those are the core of the game and their previous titles.

A little flourish with NPCs reacting to your character's level/renown/clan level/kingdom status/even character traits would be cool, but full voice acting to the level that wouldn't be repetitive or immersion breaking probably isn't worth the investment when that time could be spent on the core, hell it wasn't even worth it to Bethesda with Skyrim. Just imagine having to listen to the guard tell you about the arrow he took to his knee everytime you drop into a tavern for some rumors or talk to a notable. Kill me now.

I love the regional music idea though, can't imagine that being too costly to implement and would be a nice addition when running around the world.

Back
Top Bottom