Notes and strategies on factions and combat

Users who are viewing this thread

Elara

Sergeant at Arms
I've been pretty interested in this mod for a while (it's such a nice change from regular M&B stuff) and I've decided to try to write up some things about the various factions. (this was originally posted on MBX. Interested in new fresh feedback).

THE GOOD GUYS:

The GoTT:

The Guardians of the Throne are a small, but elite faction that wears blue. Their focus is on heavy melee troops using heaving mail armour. They have two main lines of troops : the guardians and the guardian paladins. Paladins are mounted. They usually don't go far into enemy territory, but are easy to raise from inns.

Tactics: The GotT is mostly a mixed force. Everyone is heavily armoured, and they use heavy, two handed melee weapons in combat. It's always best to have some paladins mixed in with the infantry. Paladins will break up troll charges, and then infantry will come in to finish them off.  A guardian army is deceptively powerful, but is slow. It will devastate some troll units such as brutes and cyclopes, but if faced with strong orc boar calvary or heavy axe and spear throwing units, it's speed will end up getting it killed.

Fighting Against: they're slow, and their calvary has no lances, or ranged forces. Trollish players should use ranged weapons and have axe or spear throwing units.

Strengths: Good armor. Great weapons. Good mix of calvary and infantry.
Weaknesses: Slow, vulnerable to counter calvary charges and ranged attacks.

The PotF:

The Protectors of the Frontline wear yellow and focus on lightly armored, spear armed foot infantry. They have neither mounted units nor ranged units. The heaviest armored PotF soldiers wear a sort of light mail. As their name suggests, they are usually seen near the front lines.

Tactics: The PotF is good at savaging any orc calvary, and they have good speed for foot soldiers. They use spears and halberds and typically have a fairly high agility, giving them good speed. When they mob up and use their spears, they can act as a primitive, badly synchronized phalanx at times. Unfortunately, while very good against orc boar calvary and the lighter , weaker trolls, they are no match for brutes, cyclopes, or war trolls.

Fighting against: Horse archery. You can solo huge PotF armies since they  have nothing to catch you with. But if you charge them, they *will* bring you down and pinion you to death. They have shields, so it will take some time and a lot of arrows. The best units to bring against them are spear throwers, war trolls, and brutes. Remember that the larger a PotF army is the more likely they are to swarm you and spear you to death.

Strengths: Fast, good weapons, effective against both calvary and infantry.
Weaknesses: no calvary, crap for armor, and dead against mounted ranged attacks.

The KotA:

The Knights of the Alliance wear red plate armor and focuses on mounted combat with light swords and shields. They are incredibly powerful when used properly, since most of the army is mounted, and trolls can't handled mounted forces well. They are swift, fairly well armed, and tend to roam all over the map. I haven't been able to raise any for my own use yet. They do have some very strong foot troops again using one handed weapons (maces, swords) but with no shield.

Tactics: just let them go. Calvary charges end up as total bloodbaths, unless troll spearmen are deployed in numbers. Unlike the slow plodding of the Guardians, the Knights are fast, and they are good at circling and cutting troll units to bits. They also handle orc boar calvary well. They don't have effective infantry, just low ranking ones, so they are vulnerable to massed spear men. The infantry they have is rather slow, and without shields are too easily killed by axe hurlers or even orc boar riders.

Fighting against: There aren't many easy answers here. Troll spearmen, lots of them, and lots of axe hurlers. Leave expensive units such as cyclopes and brutes at home. Take their horses out, and what remains isn't very impressive.

Strengths: Good weapons. Stupendously good armor for the calvary. Fast. Flexible. Usually fast enough to cut apart ranged attackers.
Weakness: no strong infantry to handle spearmen, armor makes them slooow once off their horses. Infantry wears paper-thin armor.

The Elves:

The elves fight without a stock standard. Most of them wear green, although there is highelven armor available with gold as a color of choice. They use a radical mix of weapons: huge two handed blades, the most overpowered bows ever, disgustingly light but powerful armor, and shorter swords that are faster than daggers. The latest version has a sword of elven broadsword that is absolutely sick.

Tactics: Elven armies have a complex advancement tree that basically breaks down to swordsmen, archers, and mounted death machines. In battle, the archers are the most dangerous thing. I've been hit for 84 points of damage from elven archers and seen cyclopes go down in two arrows. The elven swordsmen are very, very fast, and can stunlock enemies with ease if they gang up on them.

Fighting against: Luckily, elves are not invulnerable. Although they have the advantage over most other armies, they are WEAK. They boast very low HP levels and typically have low STR, so they can be knocked out easily. While fast, they don't have any spearmen (that I have seen yet) and are vunerable to orc boar calvary. The mounted elven warriors are almost overpowered but are rare.

Strengths: way overpowered weapons. Strong armor. Fast. Incredibly powerful archery , good infantry, and strong calvary.
Weaknesses: low Hp and no defensive spearmen.

THE BAD GUYS!

The Trollz!:

Trolls don't have livery, usually, but like blood red, brown, iron grey, and black. They are big into spiky bits. They focus mostly on one handed hacking blades, light spears, and thrown spears and axes. The occasional war troll wields an ugly morningstar. They mostly wear light mail, and have no calvary.

Tactics: Trolls go for brute power. They're fast enough, incredibly strong, and their weapons HURT. While the lower ranking trolls are not all that impressive, troll spearmen will happily handle most calvary. Axe and spear hurlers can kill charging knights and even kill off elves. They have high strength and thus, are hard to kill.

Fighting against: Trolls are not pushovers, and will usually need specific tactics, outlined above. The main rule to remember is that the trollish aspect of the army will always be heavy weapon and good armor on a tough footsoldier, so archery and calvary wins the day.

Strengths: good weapons, armor, strong health, fairly fast, good spearmen, decent ranged attack with axes.
Weaknesses: no calvary , vulnerable to archery.

Add in Allies:

Orcs, Minotaurs, and Cyclopes are not separate factions but are add-ins to troll armies, and each one plays it's own role.

Orcs are mounted warriors, usually riding on boars or war boars. Although lightly armored, they are fairly strong, and can use bows and spears, or long trollish swords, to good effect. Boars have a huge charge value and will smash infantry aside like kindling, while mounted archers are death to some alliance forces. For all of that, orcs have low armor, low health, and once dismounted, die screaming. Orc foot archers are strictly rabble from what I've seen, and have no place in a serious war party.

Minotaurs are fast, strong heavy melee warriors with limited armor. They favor two handed weapons and can close swiftly, taking a good deal of punishment. they are perfect for breaking PotF armies with. No matter how fast they can run, however, they are still vulnerable to calvary.

Cyclopes are the supermen of the trollish invaders. Take everything about minotaurs and expand it. They are VERY strong, if rather slow, and can take a phenomenal amount of punishment. They can crush even calvary if they have enough constrained space, and always fight with the very heaviest of twohanded weapons. Unless being hit with heavy elven archer fire, arrows just seem to piss them off, and trying to lance them more often then not gets your horse's skull crushed and your face pounded into pudding. I end up just throwing infantry at the things until they die.

General Considerations:

Balance is a key part of playing this mod. In stock M&B, everything was simple because both sides were balanced to a degree. In FantasyMod, they are deliberately unbalanced. The Alliance player has a better selection of army types to choose from, but his armies are equally one-trick ponies. The GotT are the closest thing you have to generalist troops -- the PotF are too lightly armored to stand toe to toe with brutes, but the KotA are no good against spear chuckers. You have to balance your forces.

Elven players raising an all elf force have an attractive mix of forces, but elves are hard to recruit, slow to level up, and are stupidly fragile. A group of 50 swift bows will pincushion any attacking force, but it takes a LONG time to gather that many.

Always try to mix your forces up as the alliance player.

Conversely, the trolls don't have as much choice in types of army, but their basic choices make things simple. Troll troops are much more generalized and capable of handling themselves than human troops, but aren't rare like elven ones. A mixed force will always be able to deal with problems.

Guardians strategies:

As indicated above, the Guardians are the heavy melee guys. This is a more detailed strategy for them.

TROOP TREE:

Novice Guardian: Level 4, cloth gambeson always, knife and/or staff, throwing rocks (confirmed)
Low stats all around, tends to die quickly but can typically hold their own against barbarians.

Can be picked up at most inns.

Upgrades to Guardian or Guardian Cavalier.

The Guardian is the infantry, the Cavalier the calvary.

Guardian / Guardian Cavalier: level 9, cloth gambeson or padded leather (about 60/40 split), shield, sword, cavalier is mounted.
The infantry version is not too impressive -- yet can still deal with enemy infantry fairly well.The calvary version has enough mobility to harass low level trolls.

Comparison value: the guardian has very little too offer at this point, but is at least better than the novice. The cavalier is more bang for your buck.

The two paths continue on, to the Elite and the Paladin.

Guardian Elite / Guardian Paladin : level 20, blue padded leather or chain(seems about 50/50), shield, one handed sword, helm (sometimes), Paladin is mounted
At this level there are some changes between the two. The elite , curiously, is a high AGI fighter with powerful shield and ironflesh skills, while the Paladin spends more points on riding and strength.

The Elite is very good at breaking up troll charges, and is heavily armored enough to take on brutes (although not very well). The Paladin is an excellent all around unit, more than a match for orc riders as long as you have them en masse. Still fragile enough, even at level 20, to die from just a few well placed thrown axes.

Comparison value: Elites and Paladins are both very useful. Their armor is a bit light for such a high end unit, but they are more mobile than the highest tier of troops and have the HP and skills to deal with serious threats to your line like brutes and cyclopes. The slight edge goes to the Paladin simply due to his mobility.

Finally, the top level upgrade is actually worth the wait. The upgrades go to the Champion and the Knight.

Guardian Champion / Guardian Knight : Level 25, either guardian mail hauberk or guardian coat of plates (about 30/70 split), two handed weapon sword (usually bastard sword or a baron), helm (always) , Knight is mounted
Both have 10+ strength and agility, and lots of skill points (although some are inexplicably wasted in leadership).

The Champion in particular is an unholy killing machine if used in large numbers. Heavily armored enough (on average between 20 to 25 points of armor) and using a high damage two handed sword with good amounts of strength and power strike, he can cut down light to medium trolls instantly, and doesn't take that long to cut down brutes or cyclopes either. I have seen them, battered and bloody, be outnumbered by war trolls and come out on top. The drawback? He moves sloooow.

The Knight is just as heavily armed and armored -- but is on a fast horse. Great for shredding the lines, but he just lacks some of the punch of the Champion, particularly in hilly ground or in a large battle with lots of turning. Very good at breaking the troll lines, but oddly not so quick at crushing orc riders. The Knight, once dismounted, although he has the same loadout as the Champion, is not nearly as efficient at slaying, since so much of his skills are invested in riding and not in power strike.

Comparsion Value: If you can keep a good force of Paladins, you should definately try to gather up some Champions to anchor your line.

TIPS FOR THE ALL GUARDIAN FORCE:

Really, I think that the best mix of soldiers is including all three human war groups into a combined arms army with elven archer support -- but hey, that's boring. Making an all Alliance or all Protector army is pretty easy and doesn't really get too hard, since those groups are just mobs anyway. But building an all Guardians army is a challenge if only for the fact that it's slow and can be tricky to keep alive.

- As guardians, your job is protecting the leaders. The entire composition of the Guardian forces is designed around this -- heavy armor, heavy weapons, and sheer hitting power. Use them as designed -- anchor your infantry and charge with the calvary. Drive them into your heavy infantrymen and let them destroy the enemy through defense. A Guardian army that rushes the enemy will have a lot of straggling -- the horses first, then the lightly armed novices, then medium armored guys, and last the heavily armed champions. As such, trolls (which seem to move at all the same pace usually) will pick you apart piecemeal if they can but tie your calvary up with those annoying orcs on boars. Keep your army together!

- You don't have standoff weapons , either ranged or melee. No spears. No bows. Nothing except novices with rocks. Quickly kill axe throwers -- your lower tiers are good defending with shields, but have no bodily armor to stop a thrown axe. Use your heavily armored calvary if needed to take the axe hits.

- The trolls are brawlers and so are your soldiers. In a straight fight between top tier units, the Guardians will take apart the trolls. The problem comes when your top tiers are still 8 seconds back, running to catch up, and your calvary is all dead and your PC is holding the trolls off by himself. Don't advance too far from your lines because your rescue may take a while.

- Guardian Champions cannot be overstated. I saw in testing last night a champion cut down two cyclopes -- fighting them both -- then take on two brutes. he was knocked unconcious but not killed by a orc on a bloodred boar. I don't think my char could take down two cyclopes at once, and then go on to tackle brutes? Ugh. Building up a force of Champions will tear through the higher-tier troll enemies much better than the high level calvary.

GUARDIANS AND OTHER USES:

Combining the heavy calvary of the Guardians with the outstanding spear weapons of the Protectors can be deadly. The calvary disrupts the attacking force, and the Protectors space them out so that calvary can slash them to death in drive bys.

Guardians and the Alliance aren't much of a match. Alliance Heavy Calvary is even more heavily armored than the Guardians and a bit faster too. However, Alliance Calvary and the heavy Guardian infantry, especially Champions, is disgusting to see in action, becoming a meat grinder for troll armies.

I HATEZ THOZ GAURDIANZ: FIGHTING THEM WITH THE TROLLISH ARMIES

Your best weapons against the boys in blue are Cyclopes and Orc riders.

Orc riders are more nimble and faster than the Guardian calvary at all points, and so you can tie them up. The whole point of Guardian strategy is the calvary gets your trolls all confused and then runs over your guys with superheavy infantry -- prevent that, keep your trolls in a line, and you can win .

Cyclopes can murder a LOT of lower level Guardian infantry and can usually drop some horses too. A Cyclopes will probably get killed fighting a Champion, but anything other than that and he can win as often as he loses , if not more.

Read it all, all I can say is 'friggin awesome, stickied, linked in the FAQ, etc.

Great post, and what I really really love about it is to finally see that most of my plans actually managed to work out. You got pretty much all the strategies I had in mind spot on. Simply brilliant. Thanks. :grin:

The Orc Archers, even if they are not upgraded, can be very annoying and deadly. I have as a Alliance member mostly Cavalry backed up by some Infantry/Archers (And whatever the NPC's armies bring) Since those Orc Archers usually come in 3/6 at a time its not very easy to charge them. Especially not when they are backed up by their own Mounted Units or Spearman. They are not so good as the Elves, but that is to be expected. However they shouldn't be underestimated. Orc Archers manage to get a lot of kills on their name.  The Cyclops are strong, but if they are attacked by multiple units they have it difficult. A few Cavalry Units or a few Arrows can take him out to.

Marche is absolutely correct... ugh, I hate orc archers.

The thing you have to remember about them is that orc archers are rabble, but that in numbers, rabble can kill you. Against the Guardians, orc archers aren't much of a threat, and in ANY confrontation with tier-4 troops (frontline protectors, alliance knights, guardian knights) orc archers are just about dead.

In a fight with tier-1 and tier-2 units, or against the more lightly armed, less calvary centric Protectors and Alliance, they are going to massacre a lot of your boys.

I'm still working with a Guardian's force, seeing what else I can find out. I'll move on to the Protectors and the Alliance, and then the Trolls, and finish with the Elves.

I would like to see more backstory development, I may have to write some. I've got some material but now I have to match it to the changes in the elven parts..

Detailed Strategy: the Trolls (Part One of Two)

The upgrade lines of the humans and elves are simple, the trolls are really for a more advanced player who understands how to use combined arms. This will deal with the trolls and the minotaurs -- the next section will deal with orcs and cyclopes.

1: A few key things to remember about trolls

- Trolls will have, typically, worse equipment and protection at the tier 1 and tier 2 levels, but much better on average protection at tier 3 and 4.
- Trolls will ALWAYS have at least a couple of points of iron flesh and typically a higher strength than humans, thus they can take more damage and deal out bigger hits.
- Trollish armor is on average slightly better than human armors -- the gambeson shirts in particular are crap when even some tier 2 troll units have chain shirts.
- Trolls are NOT a calvary force and will not handle calvary forces well. Beware the Alliance in particular.

2: The Minotaurs

Minos have four major points: they are VERY strong, VERY fast, hit VERY hard, and are VERY expensive to upkeep. The highest level of minautaur costs over 200 dinars a week to support for one unit.

Minotaurs are best used to handle calvary forces. All minotaurs wear hide armor or furs, leather boots, and rarely have gloves. They invariably fight with heavy two handed weapons -- mostly axes.

Amusingly,the lowest level is the Calf.
Calf: Level 8, ST 10, AG 12, 5 athletics, two handed axe.

Note the very high strength and agility, and the astonishing athletics score. Most calves and brutes can move fast enough that slower horses are a liability. A good hit with that axe on some of those walking gluepots you see in the Guardians and the riders WILL go down. Alliance horses are all armored and will require moar lulz (mostly half your army being pwned all over the place) to put down, usually calves die in battles like this.

Calves are still , for the price, very good units. They upgrade swiftly.

The gentle calf is upgraded to the unthinking brute
Brute: Level 20, ST 12, AG 12, 6 athletics, two handed axe.

More of the same -- faster, stronger, more able of reducing Protectors to chunks. The Brute boasts 2 points of ironflesh on top of his 50 or so HP, I have seen them take direct lance hits and stay on their feet.

Brutes become Blood Horns
Blood Horn: Level 25, stats remain the same , all weapon skills above 85, 3 points iron flesh.

The bloodhorn is not much of an upgrade, really. Typically, they may have heavier axes by this time.

Blood Horns become True Beasts
True Beast: Level 30, ST 11 AGI 14, Athletics 7, 4 points ironflesh, 4 points power strike, all weapon skills above 100

True Beasts don't look like much of an upgrade, but they are. The AGI increase makes them much faster , they hit harder and are just really hard to contain. They are capable of taking down elven sentinels -- which is pretty damned impressive, if you've seen sentinels at work. A true beast can take on a Guardian Champion one on one for the first time and be guaranteed to win.

True Beasts upgrade to the most horrifying killing machine ever produced, the Blood Minotaur
Blood Minotaur: level 35, ST 15, AG 15, Athetics 10, Ironflesh 7, Powerstrike 6, 150 + all weapons skills, lusts after the blood of the innocent.

I thought Sentinels were bad. I thought the Alliance Knights were overpowered. I thought the War troll was disgusting. I though the Guardian Champion pwned.

I was wrong, and I have been made to see the error of my ways.

I've just seen a Blood Minotaur chase down an Alliance Knight and kill him from BEHIND. Him AND his horse.

I shouldn't really have to say anything else, except they cost a lot to maintain and it's hard to keep one alive this long. A blood mino is the top of the upgrade tree for minotaurs. They are fast enough to make calvary not very much of a threat, and are simply too fast and strong to pin down with anything except very heavy spearmen. This is definitely a unit that if you have it, will clear out the enemy in record numbers.

Fighting it? I don't recommend it. Never faced one, and don't want to.

ANTI MINO TACTICS:

1. Run like you are on fire.
2. If you can't run away, get the biggest damned bow you can and arrow them to death. Quickly.
3. Unfortunately, if you don't have either,then you have to get in and kill them yourself. Yes, your troops can do it. If you don't mind losing 2 troops PER UPGRADE level of the thing to it, that's fine. A calf will kill one or two of your guys...a blood mino might kill a dozen or more before he's taken down. Take them down yourself. They are big axe guys, use a spear if you can, or get behind them. They are FAST.

Proper use of the mino:

The minotaur is one half of the troll heavy assault -- the other half is the cyclopes. Minos are really the trollish answer to heavy calvary. A mino can gut a horse and kill it's rider pretty well. Used properly, minos do well. Don't send them into masses of spear men -- they will not be able to get close enough, get stun locked and killed. Avoid archers. For gods sake, a mino can take a single sentinel, but avoid masses of them.

Minotaurs are not really designed to fight heavy infantry, that's the job of the cyclopes.

3: The TROLLS

Trolls are complicated little guys. Their upgrade path has three main branches

|--> Axe and Sword Heavy Infantry
Grunt -----|---> Spear Light Infantry
              |---> Axe and spear throwers

Everything starts with the grunt. Unfortunately.

Grunt: Level 2. Complete crap. Upgrades to Savage Troll. Not much to say.

Savage Troll, level 4. More crap, and what's so savage? At least it has some kind of armor. Usually carries an axe. Upgrades to Trollish Fighter or Skirmisher.
The Savage troll is a grunt with wasted mail and a chipped up weapon. Not very interesting.

The AXE and SWORD INFANTRY LINE: Typically, not very impressive. The earlier units are just utter trash. They are all pretty strong but still end up getting cut down in droves. The best use for these guys is pinning down units for the minos, orcs, and cyclopes to handle.

Troll Fighter, level 9. Usually wears a chain shirt, hauling an axe, might have a shield. Fairly tough, 80+ in all weapons skills. Upgrades to Troll Warrior or Spearman.
The fighter has chain armor, and so can finally really match most tier 1 units.

Troll Warrior, level 14. 9 ST, 2 Ironflesh, axe and shield. Upgrades to Marauder. Basically, equivilent to a tier 2 unit.

Marauder, level 16. ST 13, AGI 8, chain hauberk, metal shield, bigger axes, helm. Ironflesh 3, atheltics 3, and 100+ all weapons skills.
Finally, the maurader is the first *serious* troll infantry unit. Fast and strong, the Marauder can handle several foes. Upgrades to the Trained Troll.

Trained Troll, level 20. 13 ST and 10 AGI, 6 ironflesh, 130+ in all weapons skills. Wears slightly better chain hauberks than the maurader, often packing a good troll sword and always with shield and helm. These guys are a good match for most tier 3 units. Upgrades to the War Troll.

War Troll, level 22, 15 ST, 10 AGI, 7 ironflesh, 4 atheltics, 150+ in weapon skills. Wears heavy chain hauberk, good shield, good weapon. The top level trollish infantry unit. Not a match for most tier four units (alliance and guardian knights, frontline protectors, sentinels) but can handle almost anything else. The thing about the troll warrior is that it's easily gotten to. Most units are hard to get to tier-4, the trolls are pretty easy.

War Trolls are not teh uber like , say Guardian Champions -- but they are still fairly frightening. They will decimate Protectors of all kinds.

The SPEAR INFANTRY line: Much much better than the other kind of infantry, but more limited in development. You won't see many of these guys in the main armies but they do pack a punch. Spear infantry is tougher, hits harder, and is the main troll answer to light calvary such as Guardians.

Spearman, upgrades from Troll Fighter. Level 10, 10 ST, chain armor, spear and shield. Good stand off unit. Upgrades to impaler.

Impaler, level 14, 11 ST, 11 AGI, 3 ironflesh, 3 power strike, chain armor, spear, shield, helm, 80+ in all weapons skills. Bit more sturdy than the Spearman. A solid unit that lasts longer in battle than most and can handle the calvary better. upgrades to Elite Impaler.

Elite Impaler, level 17. 11 ST but 14 AGI, 5 athletics, 100+ in all weapons skills. A fascinating and flexible unit , almost as fast as most minotaurs. The elite impaler is very , very good at taking down even heavy calvary if used properly. Told to stand fast, they can form a killing zone for fast moving calvary. They typically have the large shields and can handle incoming archery fire pretty well. Upgrades to the Glave Warrior.

Glave Warrior, level 22, 11 ST, 15 AGI, 6 atheltics, 6 ironskin, 4 power strike, 130+ in all weapons skills, heavy chain, heavy shield, halberd, heavy helm. Pretty much the last damned thing you want to see on the field against you is this guy. His glaive WILL tear through horses quickly and is more than capable of chopping up even heavy infantry. Fights between these guys and Guardian Champions take FOREVER. They are tough, very very fast, and very hard hitting. top of the spear chain.

The AXE and SPEAR THROWERS line: ahh, yes. These are the nightmares you fear in your dreams. Are they impressive in melee combat, no. But I've been hit by a spear and taken 110 points of damage, an axe to the head and taken 80 something damage, and I've seen a line of Alliance Knights go down to massed axe throws. Used PROPERLY, axe and spear throwers can decimate even elven sentinels.

Basic unit is the skirmisher, level 10, chain mail and javelins or throwing axes. Upgrades from the savage troll. A good basic throwing unit that is roughly on par with the savage troll as far as power in melee. Upgrades to the Axe or Spear Hurler.

Axe/Spear Hurler: both are level 16, with a strength of 14 , ironflesh 2, power throw 4, and chain armor and shield. The axe throwers do more damage. Spear throwers seem to be more accurate and have more ammo. They upgrade to elite versions.

Elite Axe/Spear Hurler: both are level 20, with 17 ST, 15 AGI, and 3 ironflesh. 5 power throw, 3 atheltics, chain armor, helm, shield. Better weapons skills and gear than the standard hurlers. Elite Axe hurlers can use the thrown great axes -- spear hurlers tend toward the throwing spears or jarids.

TIPS:

You *cannot* make a viable all Minotaur force. Minotaurs have no ranged capability, and move so fast they scatter all over the field, and cannot hold a line. So don't even try it.

Trolls are combined force by nature. Spearmen deal with calvary so the infantry can swarm them, the axemen and spearmen handle the ranged work, the minos and cyclopes burst the enemy line and the orc calvary pulls them apart so you can finish them. They are all parts of a machine. They don't operate in a vacuum the way elves and humans do -- so don't TRY.

Troll spearmen can manage to hold a line best when supported by infantry. Keep your lines mixed up.

More later.

Work is pressing a bit, so still working on the Orcs and Cyclopes.

Orc archers are still rabble...but oddly effective rabble. Cyclopes not as impressive as hoped. Hopefully have the next part out by Friday.

Back
Top Bottom