not every weapon should be able to be sheathed, like pikes

Users who are viewing this thread

large weapons like pikes, great axes etc should be dropped when switching weapons

killing an isolated target with mass pikes is a great example of teamwork but it has to have a counter like being vulnerable to ranged weapons,

by adding a mechanic that lets you store any weapon players avoid the realistic problem of archer support when taking a 2-handed large weapon to battle

in melee this also presents a problem,

if at any time your opponents can all switch to a long pike when out of your melee range but switch to a fast sword and shield when you are in melee range it is almost impossible to win a fight where you are outnumbered

they could theoretically do the same tactic while dropping their pike and then picking it up manually but that would take a lot longer and would be easier to deal with

i know archers are very overpowered right now (IMO) so having a shield is necessary for survival, but hopefully when/if arrows receive a damage reduction against heavy armor we can see the melee meta develop where these changes will become more beneficial

realistic weapon management would be a step forward in better combat mechanics

Last edited:
Interesting, but this will not make a good gameloop. People with throw stuff, then get back to stuff... It may have worked in large-scale formation battles, but in skirmish or captain (kek!) it will make zero sense.

However, I'd see spears disappear (pun intended) when changed, because having long polearms attached to the back looks extra dumb and is not physically possible.

Inappropriate behavior
Yes, just no. Did you ever visit a doctor as you keep spouting ridiculous ****

Weapons that can't be sheated will become instantly useless because by definition they are unwieldy. Being unwieldy means they have a niche use and are switched often. 2 handed weapons make you insanely vulnerable against anything ranged (as recruit and brigand spam is the norm there is a lot of ranged) and couches. Pikes are even worse for this as they have to be switched for melee combat meaning that you instantly drop your cav defense.

Why tf would you introduce an utter useless feature that no one but an incapable forum warrior wants? Well knowing TW they will probably implement this but this is in the same category as crush through and simply ridiculous. You miss the entire point of this damn game, no one asked for this in Warband for a reason.
Please for the love of god return to singeplayer and stop talking.

Well that seems like a huge nerf to infantry because unlike them, there's little reason for cav to drop a lance/spear. So sure, why not. I'll thoroughly enjoy infantry mains' tears.

large weapons like pikes, great axes etc should be dropped when switching weapons

killing an isolated target with mass pikes is a great example of teamwork but it has to have a counter like being vulnerable to ranged weapons,

by adding a mechanic that lets you store any weapon players avoid the realistic problems of archers support when taking a 2-handed large weapon to battle

in melee this also presents a problem,

if at any time your opponents can all switch to a long pike when out of your melee range but switch to a fast sword and shield when you are in melee range it is almost impossible to win a fight where you are outnumbered

they could theoretically do the same tactic while dropping their pike and then picking it up manually but that would take a lot longer and would be easier to deal with

i know archers are very overpowered right now (IMO) so having a shield is necessary for survival, but hopefully when/if arrows receive a damage reduction against heavy armor we can see the melee meta develop where these changes will become more beneficial

realistic weapon management would be a step forward in better combat mechanics
This game is not real life. If you want to experience a real life scenario then go sign-up for some medieval combat club.

Good Gameplay > Realism

Maybe in the future when there is more gamemodes this mechanic might fit in well.
i was thinking for when battle mode is a thing and a 200 player battle is normal,

having people with specific roles in a 200 player battle is more fun where as in a 6v6 multiple lives capture the hill skirmish mode it isn't, or tdm/siege where it is more casual

i imagine pikemen following a shield wall and 2 handed swordsmen with heavy armor (heavy enough to negate most arrow fire) leading the charge

these formations or situational combat variations will not occur if everyone can hold any sized weapon behind their back

i just dont think it would make for good combat if a cavalry unit surprises an archer unit from behind just for them to all pull out pikes from their back to completely counter all the good tactics and command need to get that cavalry in that situation (it would be fine if they had the pikes on the ground and they had to manually pick them up but that would take enough time for the cavalry to get a charge in) (and i know pikes are not an option for archers, but in battle mode i think other players would drop weapons for them like in warband)

i hope battles have a place in matchmaking 1 day, mount and blade is meant for 200 player large battles, not 6v6 skirmish mode or 6v6 with bots IMO

Last edited:
I saw this made in some warband mod. I think it was named vikingr. Was pretty cool actually.
i think this was a thing in crpg if someone else could confirm,

great lance was dropped if you tried to switch weapons along with pike,

i think it is a good thing, but i am pretty sure taleworlds will not put it in vanilla so i hope some private servers will include this

The only way I would ever support such an obvious buff to cavalry players is if you guys have your lances break the first time you get a kill. You want realism? It would make the game harder for you guys if it was realistic lmao.

The only way I would ever support such an obvious buff to cavalry players is if you guys have your lances break the first time you get a kill. You want realism? It would make the game harder for you guys if it was realistic lmao.
I've actually always lobbied for this lol, I'd love to see durability on lances. Turning the lance into a limited-ammo 'rocket launcher' kind of slot would be the best of both worlds. You could then have a "2nd lance" perk and all kinds of cool builds based on lances and it wouldn't feel like absolute bull**** to be killed by one.

Back
Top Bottom