Nordous' Sceners Guild

Users who are viewing this thread

Blobmania said:
For a first scene I think you've done a really nice job. You've got an attention to detail that a lot of map developers can't be bothered with.

One tip - it looks as if you're using full opacity terrain textures. You usually get a more realistic effect if you layer different textures, for instance starting with a 100% opacity grass texture and then giving it a very rough & patchy work-over with low opacity Steppe and Dirt textures. It breaks up the repetitive tiling and makes the terrain textures seem more natural. (If you've already been doing this, then possibly try playing around with the setting values to make it more apparent).
I will definitely do that, thanks for the feedback and the tip :smile:

Hello guys I am newbie scene maker and I am trying to make scene of Bloody Gate for a world of ice and fire mod.
I have worked hard for few last days and I will finish it in few hours, but there is one important thing that I think it should be there - openable gate by winch. I have seen it in few castles in native. I put it into my scene, but it didnt work (things I have tried yet - reload the game, attack the castle after relading).I have tried winch_b and portcullis. Any ideas? Does it work only in some native castles and multiplayer? Or i have done something wrong ?

I guess some of you would want to see how my first work looks, so I took some screenshots :grin:

PNFEZYh.png

7FtQswv.png

scFfT9q.png

6owdU9C.jpg

for comparation this was my very very first try (last wednesday)

5VtMDhx.jpg

QCpsrqP.jpg

When I changed video quality to high some more trees appeared (right in front of the gate)
Is it possible to delete them ?

And last problem is with people that was in "original" scene of bloody gate that I edit.
Is it possible to delete them ?

If you can't help me with any of these problems, please look at least at screenshots and tell me if it looks good for newbie

- The wench only works in multiplayer.
- Some old native scenes have trees and other flora that can't be deleted (to my knowledge),
so avoid using those scenes. Always start with a 'clean slate'.
- If there are no entry points the NPCs will all spawn at the centre of the scene.

Oh, and avoid making almost vertical landscape/cliffs. The texture gets stretched to a blur.

Adorno said:
- The wench only works in multiplayer.
- Some old native scenes have trees and other flora that can't be deleted (to my knowledge),
so avoid using those scenes. Always start with a 'clean slate'.
- If there are no entry points the NPCs will all spawn at the centre of the scene.

Oh, and avoid making almost vertical landscape/cliffs. The texture gets stretched to a blur.

Thanks for informations.  :smile:

It's a pitty that winchs work only in multiplayer.

I dont know if they are native. As I work on a world of ice and fire scene for bloody gate i have created new terrain using tool on world map(i dont know the name of button, but it was on the bar next to camp menu) , copied code , pasted in scenes.txt in line for bloody gate castle id and started with almost plain terrain. On my graphic settings i set for work (low {my laptop had problems with editing scenes on higher settings}). And on low settings some of those trees didnt exist (f.e. those right in front of the gate :grin: )

And is it possible to delete those people from map? Because they were in pervious "version" of bloody gate that i belive was from brytenwalda :grin: Or where can I find entry points for people in castle scenes so i would put them on one of corners of map with ai barriers around them :grin:

I know, I shouldnt do it unless I want to make cliffs...

jacobhinds said:
It's possible to delete those trees by editing the scene code. Put it into http://mbcommands.ollclan.eu/terrain/ and set vegetation to zero.

Interesting. Won't it change ground elevation? Or every hole, every hills has its place in the code? Or it is "coded" in different file?

dykjozo said:
Interesting. Won't it change ground elevation? Or every hole, every hills has its place in the code? Or it is "coded" in different file?

The scene code is a string of hex numbers that don't affect each other. So unless you try to do it manually, each slider works independently.

The changes you make afterwards (added trees, added ground elevation and scene props) are controlled via the .scn files. holding the middle mouse when using the elevation or terrain tools reverts that area back to the original hex code.

dykjozo said:

To be 100% brutally honest, the stretching of the walls and bridge of the second layer look rather bad.  Don't take it too personally though! :mrgreen: 

I understand that the walls probably aren't tall enough, but there is a way to get around that.  What you do is place the original set of walls, elevate them slightly off the ground.  Then place another set of walls directly underneath of the first set.  Now with the 2nd set selected, invert the "Z" coordinate.  Now all you have to do is line them up.  Once they're lined up perfectly you can select both sets of walls and raise them together to get the look of a taller wall without the texture stretching.

This system works, cause I've done many times in all of my castle scenes.  If you need further guidance let me know and I'll post a quick video at some point.

If you're going to be making tall walls consistently it's also a good idea to make your own scene props. Easy mode is just duplicating and realigning the originals in openbrf and then creating the appropriate entry in scene_props.py. Ironman mode (but with fewer polys and no potential "Z-fighting") is to go on wings3D or something and adjust the model there. For something as complex as a wall section however, it'd be a better idea to choose the latter.

Either way you get more predictable results in future scenes, potentially saving you hours of tediously aligning little wall pieces with the fiddly controls. Prime example of this is the angry_wheat prop i borrowed off the totsk team, which literally makes the placing of fields 128 times faster.

hiner said:
dykjozo said:

To be 100% brutally honest, the stretching of the walls and bridge of the second layer look rather bad.  Don't take it too personally though! :mrgreen: 

I understand that the walls probably aren't tall enough, but there is a way to get around that.  What you do is place the original set of walls, elevate them slightly off the ground.  Then place another set of walls directly underneath of the first set.  Now with the 2nd set selected, invert the "Z" coordinate.  Now all you have to do is line them up.  Once they're lined up perfectly you can select both sets of walls and raise them together to get the look of a taller wall without the texture stretching.

This system works, cause I've done many times in all of my castle scenes.  If you need further guidance let me know and I'll post a quick video at some point.

Your opinion has been noted :grin: I know it isn't perfect, how it could be ? It's my first (second if I count my first version of it that was deleted because my firewall settings :grin: ) Criticism is good for me (as I am newbie), so I would make my work better. I will try to do that with walls next time I will edit it. Video would be great, because I am not sure if I know what you meant. And If you had more advices for me ...

edit:
I just wanted to make the 2nd wall bigger connected by "bridge"

jacobhinds said:
If you're going to be making tall walls consistently it's also a good idea to make your own scene props. Easy mode is just duplicating and realigning the originals in openbrf and then creating the appropriate entry in scene_props.py. Ironman mode (but with fewer polys and no potential "Z-fighting") is to go on wings3D or something and adjust the model there. For something as complex as a wall section however, it'd be a better idea to choose the latter.

Either way you get more predictable results in future scenes, potentially saving you hours of tediously aligning little wall pieces with the fiddly controls. Prime example of this is the angry_wheat prop i borrowed off the totsk team, which literally makes the placing of fields 128 times faster.

It's good to know, although I wont do it often, but when I will, I will know what to do to make it easier :smile:

Hi guys, i'm totally out of subject and i am sorry.
i have a big problem with the entry points in a scene that i make.
i can't place entry points as they are deleted every time i quit.
i save the editor every time, and after that i quit, but when ireload the
scene the only entry point it shows is number 1. the scene i create is for
single player, and the entry points i placed before seemed to be alright,
i have this problem only for a couple of days.
it also doesn't save changes in the scene, like changing the a.i mesh, or placing a.i barriers.

i am extremelly frustrated and i really would apreciate it if you helped me.

sifis172 said:
Hi guys, i'm totally out of subject and i am sorry.
i have a big problem with the entry points in a scene that i make.
i can't place entry points as they are deleted every time i quit.
i save the editor every time, and after that i quit, but when ireload the
scene the only entry point it shows is number 1. the scene i create is for
single player, and the entry points i placed before seemed to be alright,
i have this problem only for a couple of days.
it also doesn't save changes in the scene, like changing the a.i mesh, or placing a.i barriers.

i am extremelly frustrated and i really would apreciate it if you helped me.

Did you do something with firewall, or installed antivirus program or something? Because i had problem with it. Everytime i changed something and exited and then started again it looked like before edit... try to move game out of prog. Files. It worked for me

Thanks it helped me a lot, actually it is close to what i meant you meant :grin:
Would it look good if i didnt invert it and just put one wall on another levaing only squares between them ?

-A7Mj.png
hOzme.png
HGya9.png
uHUQq.png
xnTqj.png
7GV0D.png

Been working on a map for that WH40k mod out of boredom, and because I like 40k. Creating a proper hive city with the tools at hand would take an literal eternity, so this is more of a modern city in ruins, which does the same job. I replaced a few textures out into a ruined concrete texture already in the mod, which gives the ruins and castle pieces a great feel to them. I've also used the methods mentioned above to make some of the ruins seem bigger than they are in reality.

7GV0D.png

nice sharp & pointy mud you got there

Back
Top Bottom