Team Deathmatch Nord Town

Users who are viewing this thread

nordtown.png

Please leave all map-related feedback for Nord Town in this thread.

minimap_NordTown.jpg

Last edited:
There's too much elevation and access to rooftops, just like the original Nord Town - the TW version; not the fixed version the community made.

On one of the rooftops, it can be very awkward getting onto it when pushing an archer that's already there. It looks like cavalry can make it onto some of the out-of-bound rooftops. There are also some spots that cavalry and/or infantry can get stuck on.

But everything else about it seems good for a TDM map.

Please split the spawns up to opposite sides of the map. The current 'center mass' spawn point system in TDM just means everything is a steam roll. You spawn in with all your friends on top of 5 stragglers and freight train them, or visa versa. Where you run is just sort of random hoping to find where people are currently spawning in.

It is nice fighting in different sections of the map when the fight gets dragged outside sometimes. With fixed spawn locations you could vary up the clash point (point where when you press W you come in contact with the enemy), but might be able to just swap how the map is playing depending where you start spawning in players. I know this can lead to some bad gameplay as well, if there is one chokepoint and everyone's endlessly shooting into it, it would be no fun, so as long as the landscape between both sides is open up enough and the spawns are scattered along their side, people will still get mixed experiences depending on the layout.

Another thing that could be done is landing players in different sections as the match progresses, might start on opposing sides outside the town, then later move inside the town after enough points are scored etc.

I like TDM for the quick time to action, so I can see how having some jogging before you get to the action could be an issue if the spawns are too far apart, so maybe there needs to be some spawn areas closer to center depending where the center mass of players are.

Either way, with 50 vs 50 it's a snowball when you spawn in, and only if you survive that snowball do you maybe get a minute of reasonably level fighting if you are lucky enough to run the right direction. But that fight will just end in death as their team spawns in on top of you and you are just freight trained by numbers.

As a final aside point, please try to make the servers work like regular servers and endlessly play after joining. I hate having to quit out and jump into the next match, I'd rather just connect and play until I'm done.

you could make 12 spawnpoints and rotate them clockwise after 1 minute it goes to the next one. So 1 team starts at 12 the other at 6 or something like that

Hey, while looking at the front gate from the outside, you can go to the right until you get to the broken wall. There is an invisible wall preventing people from climbing, but if you swing outside to the red 'out of bounds' area you can get past it and get back to in bounds before it kills you, then jump to the outer wall. I find it a lot of fun, but also figured you'd probably want to fix it. So there you are. If I find any more breaks on any maps I'll pass 'em on.

The first change I would like to see on Nord Town is its lighting. In its current state, much of the map is covered in shadow, making it generally feel very grey.

SjelvI5.png
6zC7rzz.png

In comparison, here are some screenshots taken in SP with a bright early afternoon sun.

oB2qMa6.png
pzsvI1f.png
nChclgK.png
xyqtMyn.png
JHObytE.png

In my opinion (others may obviously disagree), this lighting makes the map look better, and I imagine that it might be preferable to play on this map when it is lit like this. I also think that this makes the map quite a bit more reminiscent of Warband's Nord Town as it brings out the green more strongly.

The next set of changes that I think should be made, something others have brought up as well, are to the many vertical sections of the map.

7bs4D9I.png
This is a good vertical area for gameplay: it provides a bit of defense for archers to shoot from, but other classes can easily push up to them. The screenshots below all show vertical areas which are too strong for archers.

1ThggYV.png
JDPYzbe.png
rQKfNkq.png
NlfbgFk.png
XWV4xqq.png
bndUE7R.png
The spot in the first screenshot is really annoying but not something I have a definite answer for; ideally, I would like to see a path up to that central area so that a player in the lower area could actually do something about being shot down upon, but I'm unsure as to what that would look like.

The wall is also just an irritating spot on the map, and I would like at least its left (as you face it from within the walls) side to be inaccessible.

The balcony shown in the third screenshot could just be closed off, either by removing the stairs, if those are a separate asset, or by blocking the area off at the top of the stairs. The same goes for the balcony in the fourth screenshot; if the stairs are separate from the building, I would rather have them turned around and leading up to the wooden platform on the right side of the building. The ladder on that wooden platform should also be removed, as getting shot from up there leaves non-archers fairly helpless.

There should definitely be stairs up to the walkway shown in the fifth screenshot; again, there is no way for a player to respond without using ranged weapons or hiding.

The final area that players should have readier access to is the balcony on the tavern as shown in the fifth screenshot; a walkway across from the left would solve this, and might also mean that the tavern gets used for fighting in more often.

v5fFtXR.png
Personally, I really don't mind having areas in which players can glitch out of the map and get into areas they shouldn't; as long as the map is being used for a casual mode like TDM, glitching out of it is fun. Of the glitches I'm aware of on this map, being able to get into the building shown above is the one that I think should be removed before it becomes more well-known, as much as I enjoy messing with people from inside.

NO0F3Ql.png
aJ4yfVw.png
Fiqx57P.png
oxBTDuy.png
RcBRbXG.png
TbC0lH6.png

The first screenshot here shows a small bit of earth poking through the floor of the tavern's basement. You can hardly see it on higher settings, but on very low, as the screenshot shows, it is quite noticeable.

The second screenshot shows roughly the position of a spawnpoint which, when I spawn there, has my view covered by the yellow cloth hanging behind it (looking something like the third screenshot).

The fourth and fifth screenshot show some wood which pokes through the floor and often looks like the shaft of a weapon.

The log pillars in the final screenshot make the sound of straw when they are struck, instead of wood (they are also quite annoying to fight amongst and I would prefer that they sat on the very edges of this walkway).

In the thread discussing TDM I described how I don't think that the gamemode will work when it is designed to accommodate 100 players, with one of the main reasons being that the maps will be too large - I feel the same about DM, which I imagine Nord Town will be used for in the future. Even when considering TDM as a 100 player gamemode, I think that Nord Town would very much benefit from a reduction in its size.

fJPGMZ5.png
c34CABV.png
gVtlbZU.png

I would suggest creating a path between the areas shown in the first and second screenshots here, and blocking off the area shown in the third screenshot (including much of the area around the far side, towards the space shown in the first screenshot) so that it becomes just a small courtyard-like area. This would link up the different extremes of the map far better than they currently are, allowing players to find others to fight more readily.

Hope to see some of these changes made to the map; alongside team damage - even set to very low - I think that I would feel a lot better about playing TDM on this map. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
In terms of the visuals, I think they're really good, although some periodical changes to seasons and weather effects would be welcome, for the sake of variation.

I really dislike that players can walk onto the thatched roof in the centre. If you fight on there, the gameplay gets really bad - worse than underwater gameplay in Warband. But obviously the archers go on there all the time. I've even seen them on the other thatched roof nearby. Since it can be difficult accessing the roofs in some places, it almost seems like boundary breaking.

1ThggYV.png
I don't mind the large wall at the centre, even though at first I thought it seemed silly. It's fun how people can drop to their deaths in the middle of fights, which is fine in the context of TDM. It's a shame you can't push archers on top of the wall from below without taking a long walk around, but if it was made so that archers couldn't go onto the thatched roof, then that should limit the line of fire from there to a reasonable standard.

bndUE7R.png
I don't mind the balcony in this screenshot, even though you can't push it as infantry without going around inside. You can jump onto the balcony pretty easily as cavalry, which makes for some fun epic moments. It really surprises the archers, since they think they're safe with no steps leading up to the balcony from the street. It's also quite nice that it makes people go inside the building, because the atmosphere of Bannerlord's interiors while fighting feels great, even though the camera can have some problems.

JDPYzbe.png
rQKfNkq.png
NlfbgFk.png
XWV4xqq.png
I can tolerate the first level floors (although it would still be better without them) but the higher elevation all the way over the gate tower and the second level floors is really ridiculous. I know it's tempting to put in these features, but you have to have some restraint, even for TDM. It's just really annoying getting shot by archers in such high places. They might as well be in flying saucers.

I really dislike that players can walk onto the thatched roof in the centre. If you fight on there, the gameplay gets really bad - worse than underwater gameplay in Warband. But obviously the archers go on there all the time. I've even seen them on the other thatched roof nearby. Since it can be difficult accessing the roofs in some places, it almost seems like boundary breaking.

I can't believe I forgot to include it! That roof area is the worst offender of them all and should just be made inaccessible; it can see far too much of the map from relative protection, and, as you say, trying to get up there to stop someone is awful when navigating the ridges of its thatched roof.

It's also worth noting that horses can get stuck under some stairways, and people can move through some stairs from underneath or float up onto them from the side.

@NIN3
It looks like the issues with the barriers on Xauna may be occuring on the central thatched roof here; in offline testing, the roof is now inaccessible, but I was able to run straight up there when playing online.

Elsewhere, the map looks much improved, especially the improved access to elevated areas, the new lighting, and the renovated outside area. If the map is updated further, I think that removing the ladder in the lower area of the map and adding a staircase in the area shown below would offer major improvements to how the map feels.

XWV4xqq.png

I'm a big fan of the winter version of this map, and I would keep it in regular rotation along with the regular mode unless it's going to be saved for holiday events. I completely agree with the post two above that you should be able to access that balcony from there, as it's a massive pain having to make the minute or two trek around back to access it to take out an archer or turtler.

Overall my favourite TDM map as it seems to have a good amount of plays for infantry, cav and archers alike. I would just make some of the high-points a bit more accessible as a lone archer can decimate entire teams from up there.

Back
Top Bottom