Noob question thread!

Users who are viewing this thread

crim

Recruit
hey, great mod.

Uh, I have a question. I've gotten 600 reknown already and my strategos still hasnt given me any extra fiefdoms. What do I have to do to get more attention from my lord, and how do I gain new lands in this game?

thanks.

1)wait for one of your peers to die, and then fly to your lord like a jackal to claim the fief\s

2)conquer the enemy capital, see who's going where (at the war council) and then choose the side with less peers, and enjoy your lord giving you a thousand fiefs.

3)cheat: become lord of your faction and assign fiefs yourself.

4. Capture enemy castles, if you cannot yet conquer their capital.  Castles are the villages that have the little tower on them.  If you get back to your lord quickly, I imagine you would get the castle.

Unfortunately i don't think it works that way :cry: at least in my experience.
You get to really own a castle in a certain province just if you conquer the province's capital.
Otherwise, the fief would keep being an enemy's possession.

I've found that fiefs tend to be a liability.  Sure, you get the feudal levy (for a week) and a little income (never enough to keep up with your lord's insatiable demand for more).  And you gotta ride all the way over there to get your men and money.  It seems lately my time is better spent hiring mercenaries (who don't have to go home), looting towns (for food and certain special items), attacking caravans (to get tools and iron mostly) and thumping enemy war parties (for prisoners and swag).  And occasionally breaking an enemy siege of my hard-won castles.  I was finally awarded another fief recently - just got there at the right time, I guess.  Timing is everything...

Two things we could really use:
A chest in our castle to store stuff.
Recruit from prisoners (why let perfectly good Norman knights go to waste in a slave camp?).

Nikephoros said:
Unfortunately i don't think it works that way :cry: at least in my experience.
You get to really own a castle in a certain province just if you conquer the province's capital.
Otherwise, the fief would keep being an enemy's possession.

Regular villages cannot be captured, only looted.  Castles are the ones that can be taken before you've eliminated the faction.

Thanks for the replies everyone

The problem with capturing castles/capitals for me is that I have an old pentium 4 and the castle sieges lag horrendously for me, and the battle size slider is already all the way to the left and it doesnt seem to matter. There arent supposed to be more than 14 troops on the field at once but there are regularly much more than that in siege battles.

Thats why I cant capture any castles, all I can do is loot villages. :sad:

try lowering the graphic details.

You know, when you start M&B, and you get the configure----->Graphics screen.
It helped me a lot when i turned off pixel shaders and bump mapping.
Also, try with the texture details.

Meh, those paynims from Enna have lost some 300 men trying to retake a castle I've conquered: I've destroyed the first siege party, but they keep sending others (and I keep stomping them in the dirt). :razz:
I could tell my good liege Roger to attack the capital, but I want to raise my reputation a little more, so I'll be higher in the pecking order when time comes to assign fiefs :razz:
And besides, fighting 100 men parties it's great fun. Not to mention the pleasure of taunting those saracen leaders before sticking a lance in their chest at the first charge!  :mrgreen:

Btw, I have started this game not as a son of an aristocrat but as a simple soldier of fortune; so, to earn what I needed for a decent horse and equipment, I've played as a merchant for a little while. Well, trading in this mod it's really enjoyable! In the vanilla game is so boring; here, instead, you have lot of goods, a dynamic economy, certain goods available where you would expect them (historically and logically). In the vanilla game I've tried trading only once and got really bored... in BfS I could do that for hours and never get tired of it :wink:

I'm a veteran in Native, but a noob in BfS so here are my questions:

1) Are there any Borcha, Marnid, Rolf and Ymira equivalents i.e. NPCs which you can get which are unkillable?

2) The advisor at the start is obviously an NPC, but can he die? Is he meant as a one man substitute for the Native NPCs?

3) Does getting a fixed amount of renown mean that a lord will offer you a fiefdom to join his faction? If so how much?

4) What are the best items in BfS? i.e. the best armour, boots, gloves and helmet?

5) Is the bastard sword still the biggest and most deadly one-handed sword? Is there a watered-stel variation of the bastard sword?
(Can it be found in BfS? By it I mean the bastard sword. I've seen new weapons in BfS which have the watered-steel prefix and so I was wondering if the bastard sword could be found with the prefix.)

6) Is the battle shield still the biggest shield? If it's not there anymore then what replaces it?

7) Is there a warhorse or charger for BfS? If not what has replaced them as the most durable and powerful horse?

That's all for now...

1) No

2) He can't die, he'll be your advisor, and help you through alot of things. You'll learn about him as you play.

3) Afaik you won't get an invitation to join a faction, but you'll have to chose a faction yourself. When you get enough renown (Been a while since I played, but I believe it was around 500) you tell your lord you're a loyal vassal and he might give you a fief.

4) Depends... I always used something pretty light and that axe with 45 or something chop damage.

5) Most of the swords in Native don't exist in BfS. My tip is to just travel around and look around what you can find. Swords aren't very good in BfS though.

6) I believe there's those big round shields which I always had, can't remember the name, but just look around and you'll find out.

7) Go check shops and look. There's no heavy horses which you can use to charge through a huge crowd of people with though. I've always fought on foot anyway.

Most of your questions could be answered by playing BfS for 30 mins.

Back
Top Bottom