SP - Battles & Sieges Non-polearm mounted combat is basically useless

Users who are viewing this thread

Best bet is making your character as short as possible... puts your closer to enemies heads.

It's silly but playing a midget is about the only way to reliably melee on a horse.

Mongol genetics FTW !
You joke but try it lol. It made the difference in my whiffing 3/4 swings to basically being unable to miss.

I think most people likely play medium tall to tall male characters. Cause it looks cool. I bet this is 90% of the issue. God knows my max height character couldn't hit the broad side of the barn on his horse.

You shouldn't have to use only the longest weapons if you want to play cavalry. These aren't giraffes we're riding. On a typical horse, the rider sits around 4.5 to 6 feet off the ground. That puts his butt at about eye-level or lower. A rider should have no problem smacking an unmounted guy on the face with his bare hand. Any weapon should be long enough to hit with no problem, even a dagger. So I don't know if its the animations or the hitboxes, but something's a bit off with the mounted combat.

The same way that the footsoldiers time their attacks perfectly is the same way you need to time your attacks on horseback. If you just couch your spear and charge a unit on foot, who also has a spear, you're probably going down. But if you pull some janky turns, get your speed right and let your spear loose just as your grounded opponent walks into it, then you're butter. Same goes for every weapon in the game, horseback or not. I've made two campaigns since release so far, ones a sturgian whos horse, sword, polearm. I mainly use my polearm on the character, I never couch, why? cause stabbing gives you a bit extra reach. My other playthrough is a khuzait, who's bow horse and one hand. I wreck with a one hand on horse back, (plus having 40 ****in cav archers helps, ps devs khuzaits are op af) I use the sword, the same way as my pole arm, except I never stab, I swing. Use it for charges, aim your cav charges at the outskirts of enemy forces, never diver right in always arc your movement, target stragglers, aim downwards for foot soldiers, swing straight across at enemy mounted archers and cav, cirlcular movements are a cavs best friends. As long as you swing BEFORE you're beside your target, you should hit (still a longer 1h is better/easier), timing is everything.

More often than not, the weapon will just sweep right above the head of the target and miss.
I thoroughly disagree. I find it way easier to hit troops with a sword while mounted than it was in Warband.
Yes it felt a bit odd in the beggining, but if you actually put some effort in getting the new system, it turns out to be way better than Waband's.

Tl;dr
It's a matter of getting used to it.

Last edited:
I thoroughly disagree. I find it way easier to hit troops with a sword while mounted than it was in Warband.
Yes it felt a bit odd in the beggining, but if you actually put some effort in getting the new system, it turns out to be way better than Waband's.

Tl;dr
Is a matter of getting used to it.

Maybe it is a matter of height, I can guarantee that with a tall character is more difficult.

Tl;dr
Is a matter of getting used to it.
It IS a matter of getting used to it, and definitely gets a lot easier with practice, but there's no way its easier than Warband. In Warband, you just swing in the general vicinity and you'll hit someone. Here you really have to aim and time your strikes well. But you shouldn't need to use a long sword to hit. Shorter axes and maces should be viable cavalry weapons, like they were in real life.

Maybe it is a matter of height, I can guarantee that with a tall character is more difficult.
My character is taller than average and I'm doing pretty good with a not-so-long blade.

It IS a matter of getting used to it, and definitely gets a lot easier with practice, but there's no way its easier than Warband. In Warband, you just swing in the general vicinity and you'll hit someone. Here you really have to aim and time your strikes well. But you shouldn't need to use a long sword to hit. Shorter axes and maces should be viable cavalry weapons, like they were in real life.
For me it's easier, while in Warband I would never know why I missed because I hadn't too much control over the swing, in Bannerlord it feels more fair and I know what went wrong when I miss, so it's easy to correct my blows.

Now if you think this should be identical to Warband and keep swinging randomly hoping for hits... well, what can I say?

My character is taller than average and I'm doing pretty good with a not-so-long blade.

For me it's easier, while in Warband I would never know why I missed because I hadn't too much control over the swing, in Bannerlord it feels more fair and I know what went wrong when I miss, so it's easy to correct my blows.

Now if you think this should be identical to Warband and keep swinging randomly hoping for hits... well, what can I say?
I don't think it should be identical to warband, but it should be easier to hit with shorter weapons than it is now

As much as I value polearms' historical presence, I have to agree with this somewhat. The fact that I can make a very long one-handed sword and still struggle to hit enemies is a bit odd. Especially when the bandits, peasants and 0-level Vlandian foot soldiers all have sticks/spears that can stop my horse at full charge.

This means I've had to get really close and then point my camera as far down as it will go (looking at my horse essentially) in order to hit someone on foot. Something is mechanically wrong with this.

In Bannerlord the slashes fly over their head. I hit them easier when they are running down a hill, otherwise I hit over. It happens rarely in foot combat too.

Best bet is making your character as short as possible... puts your closer to enemies heads.

It's silly but playing a midget is about the only way to reliably melee on a horse.

This is false. Melee with a shorter weapon on a horse is all about the camera angle and timing. I have a giant of a character and all I have to do is tilt my camera down to reliably hit enemies with even a short mace. For a shorter weapon you just have to tilt the camera down and make sure that the enemy is really close to your horse....just like real life by the way. Shorter weapon, you would look down and bring the enemy closer to your horse.

Polearms with a cut ability wielded in two hands makes it easy though, almost too easy. One interesting thing I noted since I figured out how to tilt my camera down to hit things closer to me is that if you take a shorter, say 150 length polearm with a cut ability is that by tilting the camera and looking straight down, much like I do when engaging with a short 1hd weapon, you can absolutely wreck infantry standing right next to you so by using a shorter polearm with the cut ability, you get the best of both worlds, you can take advantage of the extra range of a polearm while still being able to kill enemies in close without having to switch to your sword.

True. I've resulted to using a Menavlion for all forms of combat. Both on horse, and on foot. Has great range, and decent damage. Can be a hassle in tight spaces, but find an open spot and you're good to slice them for days :smile:

Yup. Menavlion is an universally great weapon here. it is perfect on horseback and readily usable on foot.
Especially mounted with two hands it can dish out one hit kills at long ranges with easy hits thanks to the swing attack.
It is however a bit on the slow side, depending on which menavlion we talk about that is, and to an extent can be superceded by a long poled two handed axe (which is my fav on my viking themed warrior)

Oh yes. I loved my Polearm: Rhomphalia Swing D.: 169 cut, Lenght: 203 ...I can kill anyone in one shot. + bow 2x 36 arrows ...Ideal combination.

Back
Top Bottom