#nobattlenobks

Users who are viewing this thread

I doubt there will be micro-transactions in any form on release. However, I'm a fan of strictly cosmetic items as they usually work well and I wouldn't be opposed to TW or user-created cosmetics having a place in the game.

Many people have asked for some way to be rewarded for simply playing the game, so I think it would be a great incentive for some to have cosmetics you can earn through game-play. For example: kill 100 enemies, kill 1000 enemies, defend 50 sieges, ect. These'd be color or style changes to weapons/armor. Additionally, tournament winner cosmetics would be fantastic.

Another idea is to have an badge/emblem (or three) next to names in the scoreboard earned by doing the same sort of thing or based on rank in the ranked matchmaking mode.

I like to float the idea of "rewards" for tournaments/contests (modding or otherwise)/events in the form of implementing heraldry and other cosmetics submitted by the community (and vetted by TW). I.e. win an official tournament and you can request your clan heraldry or another heraldry of your choice (that fits the setting and quality standards) to be added to the game as a customization option. Doesn't have to be the only reward, obviously.

Duh said:
I like to float the idea of "rewards" for tournaments/contests (modding or otherwise)/events in the form of implementing heraldry and other cosmetics submitted by the community (and vetted by TW). I.e. win an official tournament and you can request your clan heraldry or another heraldry of your choice (that fits the setting and quality standards) to be added to the game as a customization option. Doesn't have to be the only reward, obviously.

Tournament cosmetics would be excellent and fitting with the theme of the game, so I think very few people would have grounds to complain about them and for most it would be either extra motivation or something to really make you feel like you won afterwards. Either way, would be very cool to see some sort of reward, be it heraldry or a unique weapon/armour skin, for tournaments and potentially for seasonal leaderboard rewards. It's something to keep people using the mode for the swag gear and I don't see many people responding negatively to the top --- getting a reward of some kind; definitely an incentive to keep grinding.

I concur, cosmetics are a good way to implement 'goals' which can distinguish players on a non-gameplay intrusive level. In game clan system/heraldries like in the Deluge or BoE would be awesome too.

Duh said:

Solid pink heraldry when?

>Level UP  :razz:

No worries, John. It seems like Battle (or sth akin to it) will be in the game:
There will be no single-life game mode in matchmaking, but there will be one for custom games (among other game modes, such as Team Deathmatch). The final design for this game mode isn't set in stone yet so you shouldn't expect to see a Battle mode which is identical to the one we have in Warband. Naturally, we will take community input on these matters into account as we strive to create an experience that is enjoyable for our fans.

The big concerns now are - Why is this single-life mode not in matchmaking? Is the item system super limited? Can we get WB item system as an optional choice? What about large field battles in MM? Why is skirmish 6v6? and some more.

Oh and Happy Birthday man.

Duh said:
The big concerns now are - Why is this single-life mode not in matchmaking? Is the item system super limited? Can we get WB item system as an optional choice?

Yeah I think a lot of people missed Callums post about battle. We got that victory, but now its item selector. Maybe someone should open a new thread for that topic specifically? Including a poll too :?:

Dethikus said:
We got that victory, but now its item selector.

what victory? Maybe I missed a post somewhere, but from what I saw the only issue was miscommunication prompted by a angry reaction to a dev blog about MM modes. When things cool down Callum posted about how there will be TW servers for MM with some modes, and TW servers without MM for some other modes, plus the normal servers ran by the community (vanilla or not). Something similar to battle should be possible on non MM servers (specially on custom vanilla servers using server settings).

Did they change anything this week?

If it was just a miscommunication I don't see why it took so long to get a proper reply. More likely they were taken aback and put it back in and claimed it was a miscommunication

*takes off tinhat*

_Osiris_ said:
If it was just a miscommunication I don't see why it took so long to get a proper reply. More likely they were taken aback and put it back in and claimed it was a miscommunication

*takes off tinhat*

they replied with a official statement on Monday. Things exploded on Friday. Then weekend. Then reply. Thats about 24 hours in business days. I don't see that as "took so long". If that is such a long time, then they will need to stop with blogs on Thursday and publish then on a Monday instead, so any issues can be clarified in 24-48 hours.

Well if you already know that battle is included why should it take business days to respond instead of saying " no there is battle this was just about our matchmaking modes" I mean it's not like there was no response it wasnjust about taking our concerns to the office

_Osiris_ said:
it wasnt just about taking our concerns to the office

why not? The PR guy handles PR, he can't make decisions nor he knows everything about the game. If a surprise issue pops up, then they need time to discuss internally how to respond to it, right? That includes talking with the big boss, the mode boss (in this case, the people that makes decisions about MP), and so on. Those people may not be available promptly, they may be out for the day, they may be doing something else, etc. Then they need to write the reply, read it 10x to make sure it won't just create more issues (as we - players - love to read between the lines), and have that translated in multiple languages (if doable), because their current communication strategy relies on 10+ languages across the world.

In my opinion taking a few hours to do that (office hours, as in, working hours) is just fine. But you may disagree of course, and expect all that to happen faster.

Anyway that was, as I stated on my question, my impression of the situation.

kalarhan said:
but from what I saw the only issue was miscommunication prompted by a angry reaction to a dev blog about MM modes.

I am sure they will be more careful when writing a blog in the future (to prevent leak of information or something like this week to repeat). I am also sure they will fail at that multiple times, regardless, but they will at least try to minimize it.

Make no mistake.

Because Battle is on a server browser doesn't alleviate the concern nor the main issues. I can make a mod, call it SPAGHETTIWARS and it can be on the server browser as well. I am not interested in a server browser as long as there is a matchmaking functionality that will be the crux of competitive interfacing.

If Skirmish is the main competitive mode, it needs be Battle's successor in every sense. As it sits, they aren't even step-cousins; the only similarities being are that there are swords, bows, and horses, and that's where they end.

Skirmish mode is still not an acceptable state of affairs, in my humble -- 2500 hours since the Warband Beta launched, 3x Nation's Cup Captain and caller, Caller of arguably one of the best teams to play Warband in it's history -- and clearly uninformed, ignorant opinion.

Multiple lives a round is simply unacceptable. Not worth talking past that point or compromising on smaller points if that isn't changed; I don't give a damn if it makes the other modes like Siege easier to have the continuity. I'm not arguing for taking it out of those modes. The arguments I'm hearing is that keeping it this way keeps it contiguous to their other game modes, providing some form of ease, but I don't do things a certain way because they're easy, I do things a certain way because they're correct. This is not correct.

Rhade said:
Multiple lives a round is simply unacceptable.
This and the objectives are the dealbreakers for me with Skirmish being the main focus of competitive matchmaking. Oh, and 6v6. Why 6v6? Competitive Warband has been rolling 8v8 in big tournaments for years. It's only been dropping recently because of decreasing interest.

I get that objective-based game modes are the focus of other games, but players just lack the necessary mobility in Mount & Blade to make multiple objective game modes viable IMO. Take a standard MOBA map as an example, with its near mirror-image balance, three lanes, and connecting pathways. If you took such an innately balanced map concept as that and plopped an objective into each of the three midpoints of the lanes, then sure, it's still totally balanced. The thing about MOBAs is that players will almost always have some item or ability that provides additional mobility, to let them get into advantageous positions or escape traps or just traverse the map quicker. Some even have abilities that can be used globally, at any point on the map. The key concept here is that competitive MOBA players know how important it is to maintain a presence on the map (even if they aren't there all the time), and the game gives them the tools to do that.

Mount & Blade is fundamentally different. The only mobility enhancers are horses, of courses, and the only way to maintain a presence in part of the map is to physically be there unless you're an archer. You can't project force without major commitment in Mount & Blade because the heavy lifters are slow infantry. What I see happening is teams picking one objective to strongly contest, a second objective for a one- or two-man take, and if applicable a third objective to scout with cav. Any further division of the team leads to insufficient bodies in any one place to repel a focused attack, and any less division means the team is too concentrated and will face whatever penalties are incurred by surrendering objectives. If everyone can respawn then this gets even worse, because a team that contests an objective and loses because they're outnumbered at that objective will take fast-moving classes on their second spawn and play the other objectives, devolving the fight into a rolling skirmish & kite fest.

You might say the obvious solution, then, is to take an attacker/defender approach to the objectives, where some teams start with control of objectives and it's the other team's job to capture or destroy them as appropriate. That forces conflict, right? Scenarios like these are prone to ties or marginal victories, and these are more difficult to validate in a competitive setting because there are multiple ways to achieve a partial victory. In Warband's F&D, for instance, teams scored 1 point at the end of each round for the objectives their team either destroyed or defended, or 2 points regardless if they killed the entire enemy team. What happened was defenders would surrender one objective immediately, and then just fight over the last one to try to kill the entire attacking team. If the defenders won, they got 2 points even though they lost an objective. If the round timer ran out then both teams got 1 point (attackers for destroying the freebie objective and defenders for having one surviving objective). Naturally, it's in the attacking team's interest to score their freebie kill and then skirmish for the last objective or attempt hit & run attacks to destroy it with minimal risk. At worst, if they're careful then they get a tie. Defenders don't have a viable option to split their forces for defense of both objectives because the attacking team can and historically did fully commit to one objective at a time. In a tournament setting, how do you look at reported match stats and determine what was an actual, legitimate, fought-til-the-end tie and what was one team sniping an objective and kiting for the rest of the match? How do you deal with the fact that one team must go all-or-nothing on an objective and their scoring potential is entirely dependent on the enemy team's willingness to fight?

Improvements to battle and the equipment systems in warband is exactly what TaleWorlds should be looking into. Having a matchmaking system that allows a both a competitive and more casual settings with dedicated official servers is a move in the right direction to keep people playing.

The worst I fear is Bannerlord will end up like War of the Roses. There's a lot of lessons that could be learned from that game, and if they aren't applied I can see this game going down the same path. TaleWorlds already has the right concepts with Warband. Creating a new engine to improve the mechanics, empowering modders to do more with the game, and fostering a competitive scene with ideas from Warbands community would make this game a hit. If we go down the route with strict classes and limiting matchmaking to skirmish, we'll have nice singleplayer game I guess.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Orion said:
You might say the obvious solution, then, is to take an attacker/defender approach to the objectives, where some teams start with control of objectives and it's the other team's job to capture or destroy them as appropriate. That forces conflict, right? Scenarios like these are prone to ties or marginal victories, and these are more difficult to validate in a competitive setting because there are multiple ways to achieve a partial victory. In Warband's F&D, for instance, teams scored 1 point at the end of each round for the objectives their team either destroyed or defended, or 2 points regardless if they killed the entire enemy team. What happened was defenders would surrender one objective immediately, and then just fight over the last one to try to kill the entire attacking team. If the defenders won, they got 2 points even though they lost an objective. If the round timer ran out then both teams got 1 point (attackers for destroying the freebie objective and defenders for having one surviving objective). Naturally, it's in the attacking team's interest to score their freebie kill and then skirmish for the last objective or attempt hit & run attacks to destroy it with minimal risk. At worst, if they're careful then they get a tie. Defenders don't have a viable option to split their forces for defense of both objectives because the attacking team can and historically did fully commit to one objective at a time. In a tournament setting, how do you look at reported match stats and determine what was an actual, legitimate, fought-til-the-end tie and what was one team sniping an objective and kiting for the rest of the match? How do you deal with the fact that one team must go all-or-nothing on an objective and their scoring potential is entirely dependent on the enemy team's willingness to fight?

That's why I modded F&D to end the round after one objective was destroyed (and made trebuchet and catapult have equal health, also much higher health than base native. Why they had different health levels and needed to both be destroyed I'll never know and why I don't trust any of TW's balancing of game modes).

What you would end up with then, if attackers were given enough cover, is the defenders forced to maintain some level of split in order to scout both objectives while attackers would attack in force on one objective. Once there, defenders would need to rotate and use all their numbers on a retake. Warband isn't like CSGO though, in that one defender can take out 2 or 3 attackers quickly or an attacker can get 2 quick entry kills (not without significant mistakes anyway). So the application of numbers is a much higher priority than in a shooter, and the positioning becomes less about angles and more about how much map control you have. A retake on a site in Warband would be very different if both teams were reaching each other around the middle, vs a team taking control over site and blocking the enemy at the entrances.

I think you're right that multiple objectives has the problem of lack of mobility, but I think current Battle lacks complexity also in that because Warband is all about numbers, the ultimate approach is simply to apply all 8 (or 5, or 6) of your troops at the same point and whoever does that first basically wins, all other things being even. Sometimes this can come down to seconds of difference, and this definitely takes skill both individually and from a team cohesion standpoint, but it also can leave matches a bit up in the air coming down to whoever's cav gets the first bump off.

Attacker/defender still encourages the fighting over one spot, but it has complexity over which spot to fight over and how to approach it. The problem now of course, is that Bannerlord is likely going to split the community between matchmaking skirmish and community battle, leaving less opportunity to test out this other new asymmetric mode (which I hope is similar to how I've described above. If it's not, then that would need modded creating a further barrier). I hope we get a chance to test them all and I hope TW is open to changing their matchmaking mode which currently serves nobody imo (even though the idea is good).

I still think that might lead to an attacker advantage, but what you describe is certainly better than what Warband's F&D offers. Your assessment is also correct in that positioning and the speed & numbers with which one attains it is often the deciding factor between two equally matched teams. What worries me, then, is that the health on the objectives must be high enough to allow defenders to attempt a retake of an objective before the attackers can destroy it without being so prohibitively high that the objective is ignored for being unachievable in most cases. Striking that balance is a combination of tweaking the objective health directly and designing maps in such a way that defenders have fairly direct routes between objectives. Also, attackers should have multiple routes they can use to reach any given objective which offer trade-offs between speed, exposure, and adaptability.

Since you brought up CS, their maps can be generally conceptualized as series of rooms connected by paths, with paths often intersecting and rooms rarely intersecting. Paths sometimes offer vantage points into rooms or other paths aside from entrances but are very exposed in this case (think short A on dust2 overlooking the paths from bombsite A to long A, from CT spawn to bombsite A, and the bombsite itself being a room). An intersection of paths without any vantage points would be like dust2 tunnels, with a route from mid to bombsite B intersecting the route from T spawn to bombsite B. Conceptually, the paths act as funnels and the more convenient a path is then the more likely it is to be risky ("convenient" meaning less funnel-y or faster to take). Short A on dust2 is very short but it's very risky because it's exposed at various points to mid, tunnel, double doors, bombsite A, long A, and the path from CT spawn to bombsite A. This is also convenient because it means a team that is taking short A can quickly divert at any point to adjacent paths. On the other hand, tunnel is also short and very isolated from the rest of the map which makes it safer to be in, but it does terminate in easy-to-defend chokepoints. The final major path, long A, takes the most time but offers the fairest fight for Ts. The objectives on dust2, bombsite A and B, are both closer to CT spawn than to T spawn, and have a direct path between them that is relatively safe unless enemies are in the path. One will note that there are 3 entrances to both objectives, 2 each from the mid-line of the map and 1 each from the periphery of the map. The reason most entrances are to paths through the middle of the map is to allow for easier transitions from one objective to the other for defender retakes, while periphery paths are almost exclusively for the attacker's benefit (being the longest but safest paths in the case of dust2). If you're unfamiliar with dust2 (how, tho) then you may remember Desert Town in Warband (I think that was its name anyway), which is a near-identical reproduction of it. I can describe the Warband map's analogues to the CS map if you'd like, or provide pictures.

This conceptualization of maps is distinctly different from Warband, where we've come up with our own categorization of maps based on how open they are. I know in the European scene it's been just open & closed, but in NA we also had mixed for a while (Ruins being the sort of posterchild mixed map because it had a fair amount of open space but also many chokepoints, obstacles, and building interiors). Closed maps in Warband typically fit the CS conceptualization, but open maps and mixed maps--if you're into that--do not. Field by the River is a map where the two teams can see each other practically 100% of the time, and can potentially inflict casualties within the first few seconds of a round (I've done it). Because teams can see each other all the time, attackers immediately show their hand when they pick an objective to play for & give the defenders plenty of time to rotate. This is disadvantageous for the attackers because it means playing the objective is impossible and all rounds will be decided exclusively by a pitched battle. On the other hand, can you imagine rotating as a defender from one gate to the other on Village because the attackers hugged the wall all the way up until they scaled it? Defenders on site would be fighting a 2:1 battle and would probably die or allow significant damage to be dealt to the objective before their teammates could rotate in. If they died, then the rotating defenders are now at a significant disadvantage because--as you said--numbers are very important in Warband.

Neither map would strike a fair balance between attacker and defender in the F&D mode you described unless the objectives were either low health (for FbtR) or high health (for Village), both of which can't be true. This isn't necessarily the fault of the mode, and in my opinion probably isn't, but it does mean TaleWorlds would have to be conscious of competitive balance on all of their maps for the mode if it were implemented in Bannerlord. I don't really trust TaleWorlds to offer up such fine-tuned maps, not because they aren't capable but because it's a very nuanced thing that they haven't really focused on in the past as all of their maps are used for multiple modes except for siege maps. Also, it would hurt aesthetic variety because wide-open spaces would be a no-no. That precludes open field battles or siege environments where the attacker's approach is visible early on from battlements, which would both be conspicuously absent given it's a medieval RPG. We also couldn't just leave it up to the community to make competitive maps because then we have an awkward distinction between TaleWorlds' ranked matchmaking and what the competitive community considers more valid. This is also a concern I have about the matchmaking & custom game mode discussion, as players trying to move from ranked MM to tournament play may find it not to their liking if/when they have to play a different game mode to compete in community tournaments. I think it runs the risk of sidelining either matchmaking or the community-driven competitive scene.

A lot of the map design in CSGO is balanced around the idea that if you can see someone you can kill them - many weapons are one shot kills and it's hitscan, meaning any pixel angle can be death, or any obscure corner can change the round. Warband is different in many ways, not least being the magic barriers everyone carries around, coupled with relatively slow projectile speed and third person viewing around corners. So our balance will need to be different from CS even on closed maps (and I think the closed/open distinction will no longer viable). It becomes more about - how much cover for approaches do you give, to allow attackers to move without being easily countered, whilst not allowing cheese rushes too often? To what extent does the area around the objectives benefit certain classes?

If we had 2 sites one closed and one more open for example, the defenders would need to take a balanced loadout, whereas attackers could choose (even switching it up between rounds) to go for a heavy open set up or vice versa. That map would therefore need to be balanced to give as much warning to the defenders as possible so they know the loadout, so a large open approach might actually be the best balance there. We can afford this in M&B because instant vision =/= instant death. The meta then becomes a kind of rock-paper-scissors of different builds. I agree TW need to be very much on the ball with map design because it would be very easy to unbalance any of this, although the recent gif (https://www.taleworlds.com/Images/News/blog_post_31_taleworldswebsite_04.gif) showcases some decent landscaping and props. Seems like they have a lot more options to create some non-flat land with obstacles without it being horrific to traverse like Warband can be sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom