#nobattlenobks

Users who are viewing this thread

Rhade

Master Knight
“Is BkS coming back for Bannerlord?”

Admittedly, the question still makes me smile, even though I’ve heard it more often than I can count over the past few years, from a large array of different groups. I was always somewhat cagey with my response, adopting a wait-and-see approach and keeping on eye on development, hoping the issues I had with Warband would see corrections. However, given the most recent report from Callum and the information released from the developers, I’m going to answer that question directly and shortly: No.

And now, I’m going to give a longer, constructive reason as to why, with particular attention given to the decision to remove Battle and knowingly and willingly alienate an entire subsection of their community.

No, because TaleWorlds, for years, has left the competitive community on an island. A glaring lack of concern for balance updates, a noted apathy towards community interaction, and a complete lack of visibility from the perspective of the dedicated community around the game to address problems as they arose. Instead, we, the community, took matters into our own hands by using the sand on the island they had left us on, and we used that sand to create solutions, to host our own tournaments, to even start our own production teams and produce excellent content surrounding our competitive scene. We solved balance issues by imposing rule sets that circumvented the issues the team left present for 5+ years. We rallied around Warband with a devout following that I’d describe as nothing short of absolutely passionate. We bolstered TaleWorld’s lack of marketing and advertising by doing our best to advertise for them ourselves by word of mouth. We went to other games and were sure, as we did, to link them to videos that groups like Bladecast had produced. We made an entire community site around the competitive Battle scene, complete with wiki information detailing individual players, all the way down to preferred play styles, histories, and more. We kept servers up out of our own pockets for Battle -- what the community at large played -- in lieu of any sort of official TaleWorlds server. We. Us.

No, because We have been told that TaleWorlds now knows what’s best for us. They tell us we don’t need sand anymore and they’re going to take away our ability to choose from those who have stood by them the longest. They have told us that they can make our decisions; all the way down from what mode we should play as a competitive community, to that we don’t need to even be able to select our own equipment in said mode. They have taken away our preferred game mode when, as a programmer, I see no forced reason to stop TaleWorlds from retaining the mode and shipping Bannerlord with it included and letting the *community* decide instead of treating us like children and deciding for us. I find it unacceptable and incredibly short-sighted.

No, because past the fundamental disagreement I have with this on principal, I don’t agree with it in applied practice, either. Surely, I don’t expect clones as games iterate and advance. Mount&Blade and Mount&Blade:Warband, I played both extensively, and they were cousins. I appreciate the advances made, but I also appreciate that the game kept the same spirit. The proposed changes here, this isn’t in the same family, and is a clear attempt to reach out towards games like For Honor or more MOBA-esque games. Warband occupies a certain space in the industry, and I feel like these types of decisions are being made without the understanding that these are the things that makes a game wander too far in the search of “different” to the point that it loses some of the identity that used to make it great. This extremely competitive industry is littered with the broken remains of those games that went on that fool’s errand. Sometimes we, as people, get a little too wrapped up in things like that and we need to be told by people around us what’s going on from an objective perspective: You are Mount&Blade, and you are not acting very Mount&Blade like. A forced team size, respawns, and taking away the larger tactical decisions of true gear selection is something that I don’t think any Mount&Blade game can rightfully include. I can't imagine a single Battle player out there who likes the idea of having multiple respawns a round; it takes away so much of the enjoyment of the game. That is a deal breaker by itself.

No, because the sentiment that we “should all just wait and see what this new game mode has to offer before making decisions” is fundamentally flawed, because even if I were to do that, I don’t need to see your new game mode to see that the stark fact still remains that you are removing a game mode you don’t need to remove unnecessarily, regardless of your intent or what your new game mode is trying to achieve. Even if you think that you know what is best for the competitive community, they should still have the ability to choose. You are alienating a large group of players that you don’t need to and yet you press on all the same. The argument then follows that Battle can be “modded in,” and is laughable at best. The community thought that the matchmaking mod was a good idea, and I told them then in no uncertain terms that requiring a mod is going to segment the community and restrict newer players from making their way into the scene organically: succinctly, a barrier to entry. A community cannot thrive if the throughput (input - output) is not positive, and when the input is so small due to the barrier to entry that deters most people from even attempting to play, that’s an issue. It's an objective fact that after the scene started using the mod heavily, the influx of new players dropped heavily as the public servers everyone used to play on that new guys would wander into all fell into nothingness because the scene moved to a third party application, seeing it stagnate and languish with little to no new members because of it. DayZ has been cited, but that is anecdotal and the exception and the competitive scene for the last year in NA is an example of what the many rules look like. I recall Balion's attempt at making ProMod, as we volunteered to help test and provide feedback, with the intent of addressing glaring balance problems neglected for years. Ultimately, we ran into the same issue already discussed here: the vast majority of people weren't willing to go through the hassle of figuring out how to download and install a mod when they can simply play other parts of the game just fine and put up with whatever is going on.

Don’t mistake me: we do miss Warband. We have been around since the very beginning, and are still here. At the end of the day, I feel like the multiplayer community -- specifically the competitive scene -- is reminiscent of what you’d expect of family, in a certain light. We argue, we fight, we have people we pick on, we argue about whether NA or EU is better (sup AE), but we rally together when one of us are truly threatened. Today, I feel like our collective futures we were so patiently and expectantly looking towards in regards to Bannerlord are gravely threatened by this absolutely ridiculous and unnecessary design decision, alienating all of us. I’m upset, my guys are upset, my Discord is upset, my community is upset. To show that in a “constructive” manner as profanity is apparently frowned upon in this establishment, I wrote this post in the hope that I could encapsulate the feelings of frustration our entire community is feeling and express them clearly. You may not like me, nor BkS, and while I may not speak for all of us on every point here, I do think I speak a little bit for all of us here, so, I’m asking all of us to spread #nobattlenobks to our forum headings and to as many places as necessary while adhering to forum rules in representation of our frustration, to make it visible that you're with us in the stand we're making with light armor and a short spear versus heavily armored cavalry with no reason to stop coming this way.

However, I’m not one to come and simply complain without providing solutions, because I believe that is pointless and childish. Ideally, Battle can still ship with the game and the game can actually be balanced enough to where we don’t need to modify anything. Past that, if Skirmish mode is really our only option, then consider allowing us more control over things like equipment, as well as modifying team size. Reconsider the notion that players should respawn multiples times a round. Actually have that conversation with the people who have been playing the game for 6+ years now. Allow us to have more input into what Skirmish entails if you’re not going to allow us to have Battle instead of force-feeding us what you happen to think is best, because any leader knows that his strength comes from those around him and bringing out their best. We’ve been trying to give you our best and here I sit, still doing it -- and diplomatically -- in the attempt to see the same thing happen we all want: Bannerlord a success in every way. But, I’m not sorry to say I’d never consider the game a success if you need to treat your loyal community so roughly and sell out the game’s identity while in effect telling us to shut up and sit down while you decide what mode the scene needs and not caring what the scene itself has to say, handing out bans and mutes to anyone who disagrees. Surely, Bannerlord is bigger than competitive play, and is bigger than multiplayer, but you don't need to destroy something to add something else, so I have to ask, why are you still deciding to do that? I've yet to hear a fair answer. I'll be here if you find one in your design meetings behind closed doors.

#nobattlenobks

If TaleWorlds never supported that mode.
And the community build it and maintained it.
Why not do it again?
We will get better and more powerfull modding tools then warband has. Are people really upset that they have to wait s bit before some modder has made this mode avaiable again?

I don’t play multiplayer and never touched the Battle mode. So I don’t know what all the fuss is about.

But I do know if TaleWorlds supported that mode and made their own variant, people would still be upset because in some detail or balancing it is different from the old one and therefor TaleWorlds ruined everything...
I can see why TaleWorlds wouldn’t get involved.

jackalj said:
Why not do it again?
We will get better and more powerfull modding tools then warband has. Are people really upset that they have to wait s bit before some modder has made this mode avaiable again?

I don’t play multiplayer and never touched the Battle mode. So I don’t know what all the fuss is about.

But I do know if TaleWorlds supported that mode and made their own variant, people would still be upset because in some detail or balancing it is different from the old one and therefor TaleWorlds ruined everything...

Did you not read the post? The community didn't build anything in the sense of programming their own game mode, they simply structured tournaments because we had the freedom to do so in Battle mode with the many options available to us. Skirmish takes away the ability to let us decide quite a few things. They created things around the game. TaleWorlds shipped Warband with Battle hardcoded in.

You seemed to have also missed the point about mods, so I'll do you a favor and answer you directly with something similar to what I already wrote: Downloading a singleplayer mod for yourself when you're motivated to play it, that's fine, as long as you have the motivation and the technical knowledge necessary to do that. In the Multiplayer scene of any game, when you start introducing the idea that third party elements are required to join certain servers or do certain things, the vast majority of the time, people aren't going to bother. Those are the people who the scene loses, so it is small and anemic from that. Imagine you see two doors in front of you to get in a building, and to get in one door, you need to jump over a 4 foot bar. The vast majority aren't going to do that, unless they really want to. The competitive community can't survive on the incredibly small number of people who would walk in that door when the people who naturally walk out the door to other games is bigger than those who walk in. As you yourself said, you don't play Multiplayer, so I think it's fair to say that your perspective is a little shifted here.

Cheers for this, Rhade. I will make sure Callum will have a look at it and other posts with though and effort put into them.

Just a few comments on moderation related things (I posted enough on-topic Walls of Text today already :razz:)
handing out bans and mutes to anyone who disagrees.
The moderation is handled by us community members. It is only very rarely that TW intervenes in some fashion or makes a direct request. There is an agreement that areas and interactions relevant to the development receive a higher level of scrutiny. That doesn't, however, mean that we will warn, mute or ban people for providing criticism/feedback. It only means that insults, flaming, trolling and/or spamming (posting the same critique everywhere) will be punished. Along those lines
I’m asking all of us to spread #nobattlenobks to our forum headings and to as many places as necessary while adhering to forum rules in representation of our frustration, to make it visible that you're with us in the stand we're making with light armor and a short spear versus heavily armored cavalry with no reason to stop coming this way.
That's fine, if it doesn't devolve into people only posting that hashtag.

Regarding the "developer knows best" bit, as well as the idea of trying to attract new people by imitating other games:

Yeah, it's a really terrible mindset for a developer to have. It's vital that you keep in touch with your community when designing a sequel.
For example, there's the story of Red Orchestra 2.
For those who don't know, Red Orchestra is a WW2, eastern front-based shooter. It's pretty damn uncompromising in its gameplay, really far on the realism scale.

Prior to the sequel's release, the developers were really pushing the fact that they were trying to attract the Call of Duty, Battlefield communities, hoping to break into a new market by creating "Relaxed Realism" mode. They pretty much centred everything around this, to the point where even today, the hardcore "Realistic" mode still is influenced by it.
Now, the fanbase was up in arms. "We thought you were designing this game for your fanbase", "You can't attract that crowd anyway, this won't help your sales! Go for uniqueness instead!", and much more harsh words that make the recent controversy here look really damn mild.
The developer response? Worse than nothing. Some of them were actively slinging insults back at the community, calling them clueless, "you guys never made a game yourselves", stuff like that.

The problem? The community was 100% right. They were so damn right that the developers eventually totally patched their magnificent piece of fanbase extension out of the game, and issued an apology.

The Bannerlord situation is nowhere near as bad (at least they're not insulting their own community), but the fact is they used to be so much better.

Rhade said:

Admittedly, the question still makes me smile, even though I’ve heard it more often than I can count over the past few years, from a large array of different groups. I was always somewhat cagey with my response, adopting a wait-and-see approach and keeping on eye on development, hoping the issues I had with Warband would see corrections. However, given the most recent report from Callum and the information released from the developers, I’m going to answer that question directly and shortly: No.

And now, I’m going to give a longer, constructive reason as to why, with particular attention given to the decision to remove Battle and knowingly and willingly alienate an entire subsection of their community.

No, because TaleWorlds, for years, has left the competitive community on an island. A glaring lack of concern for balance updates, a noted apathy towards community interaction, and a complete lack of visibility from the perspective of the dedicated community around the game to address problems as they arose. Instead, we, the community, took matters into our own hands by using the sand on the island they had left us on, and we used that sand to create solutions, to host our own tournaments, to even start our own production teams and produce excellent content surrounding our competitive scene. We solved balance issues by imposing rule sets that circumvented the issues the team left present for 5+ years. We rallied around Warband with a devout following that I’d describe as nothing short of absolutely passionate. We bolstered TaleWorld’s lack of marketing and advertising by doing our best to advertise for them ourselves by word of mouth. We went to other games and were sure, as we did, to link them to videos that groups like Bladecast had produced. We made an entire community site around the competitive Battle scene, complete with wiki information detailing individual players, all the way down to preferred play styles, histories, and more. We kept servers up out of our own pockets for Battle -- what the community at large played -- in lieu of any sort of official TaleWorlds server. We. Us.

No, because We have been told that TaleWorlds now knows what’s best for us. They tell us we don’t need sand anymore and they’re going to take away our ability to choose from those who have stood by them the longest. They have told us that they can make our decisions; all the way down from what mode we should play as a competitive community, to that we don’t need to even be able to select our own equipment in said mode. They have taken away our preferred game mode when, as a programmer, I see no forced reason to stop TaleWorlds from retaining the mode and shipping Bannerlord with it included and letting the *community* decide instead of treating us like children and deciding for us. I find it unacceptable and incredibly short-sighted.

No, because past the fundamental disagreement I have with this on principal, I don’t agree with it in applied practice, either. Surely, I don’t expect clones as games iterate and advance. Mount&Blade and Mount&Blade:Warband, I played both extensively, and they were cousins. I appreciate the advances made, but I also appreciate that the game kept the same spirit. The proposed changes here, this isn’t in the same family, and is a clear attempt to reach out towards games like For Honor or more MOBA-esque games. Warband occupies a certain space in the industry, and I feel like these types of decisions are being made without the understanding that these are the things that makes a game wander too far in the search of “different” to the point that it loses some of the identity that used to make it great. This extremely competitive industry is littered with the broken remains of those games that went on that fool’s errand. Sometimes we, as people, get a little too wrapped up in things like that and we need to be told by people around us what’s going on from an objective perspective: You are Mount&Blade, and you are not acting very Mount&Blade like. A forced team size, respawns, and taking away the larger tactical decisions of true gear selection is something that I don’t think any Mount&Blade game can rightfully include.

No, because the sentiment that we “should all just wait and see what this new game mode has to offer before making decisions” is fundamentally flawed, because even if I were to do that, I don’t need to see your new game mode to see that the stark fact still remains that you are removing a game mode you don’t need to remove unnecessarily, regardless of your intent or what your new game mode is trying to achieve. Even if you think that you know what is best for the competitive community, they should still have the ability to choose. You are alienating a large group of players that you don’t need to and yet you press on all the same. The argument then follows that Battle can be “modded in,” and is laughable at best. The community thought that the matchmaking mod was a good idea, and I told them then in no uncertain terms that requiring a mod is going to segment the community and restrict newer players from making their way into the scene organically: succinctly, a barrier to entry. A community cannot thrive if the throughput (input - output) is not positive, and when the input is so small due to the barrier to entry that deters most people from even attempting to play, that’s an issue. It's an objective fact that after the scene started using the mod heavily, the influx of new players dropped heavily as the public servers everyone used to play on that new guys would wander into all fell into nothingness because the scene moved to a third party application, seeing it stagnate and languish with little to no new members because of it. DayZ has been cited, but that is anecdotal and the exception and the competitive scene for the last year in NA is an example of what the many rules look like. I recall Balion's attempt at making ProMod, as we volunteered to help test and provide feedback, with the intent of addressing glaring balance problems neglected for years. Ultimately, we ran into the same issue already discussed here: the vast majority of people weren't willing to go through the hassle of figuring out how to download and install a mod when they can simply play other parts of the game just fine and put up with whatever is going on.

Don’t mistake me: we do miss Warband. We have been around since the very beginning, and are still here. At the end of the day, I feel like the multiplayer community -- specifically the competitive scene -- is reminiscent of what you’d expect of family, in a certain light. We argue, we fight, we have people we pick on, we argue about whether NA or EU is better (sup AE), but we rally together when one of us are truly threatened. Today, I feel like our collective futures we were so patiently and expectantly looking towards in regards to Bannerlord are gravely threatened by this absolutely ridiculous and unnecessary design decision, alienating all of us. I’m upset, my guys are upset, my Discord is upset, my community is upset. To show that in a “constructive” manner as profanity is apparently frowned upon in this establishment, I wrote this post in the hope that I could encapsulate the feelings of frustration our entire community is feeling and express them clearly. You may not like me, nor BkS, and while I may not speak for all of us on every point here, I do think I speak a little bit for all of us here, so, I’m asking all of us to spread #nobattlenobks to our forum headings and to as many places as necessary while adhering to forum rules in representation of our frustration, to make it visible that you're with us in the stand we're making with light armor and a short spear versus heavily armored cavalry with no reason to stop coming this way.

However, I’m not one to come and simply complain without providing solutions, because I believe that is pointless and childish. Ideally, Battle can still ship with the game and the game can actually be balanced enough to where we don’t need to modify anything. Past that, if Skirmish mode is really our only option, then consider allowing us more control over things like equipment, as well as modifying team size. Actually have that conversation with the people who have been playing the game for 6+ years now. Allow us to have more input into what Skirmish entails if you’re not going to allow us to have Battle instead of force-feeding us what you happen to think is best, because any leader knows that his strength comes from those around him and bringing out their best. We’ve been trying to give you our best and here I sit, still doing it -- and diplomatically -- in the attempt to see the same thing happen we all want: Bannerlord a success in every way. But, I’m not sorry to say I’d never consider the game a success if you need to treat your loyal community so roughly and sell out the game’s identity while in effect telling us to shut up and sit down while you decide what mode the scene needs and not caring what the scene itself has to say, handing out bans and mutes to anyone who disagrees. Surely, Bannerlord is bigger than competitive play, and is bigger than multiplayer, but you don't need to destroy something to add something else, so I have to ask, why are you still deciding to do that? I've yet to hear a fair answer. I'll be here if you find one in your design meetings behind closed doors.

#nobattlenobks

Thanks for your post.

Now I see what this is all about as someone who did not play MB multiplayer. Truly, I am touched by your post. I hope TW reconsider this decision.

Lastly, for those who say "someone will mod it man, don't worry" If I have been through like Rhade for years while playing MB and this decision, which TW itself will not include Battle Mode, came up, I would feel like I was betrayed.

Rhade said:
The proposed changes here, this isn’t in the same family, and is a clear attempt to reach out towards games like For Honor or more MOBA-esque games. Warband occupies a certain space in the industry, and I feel like these types of decisions are being made without the understanding that these are the things that makes a game wander too far in the search of “different” to the point that it loses some of the identity that used to make it great. This extremely competitive industry is littered with the broken remains of those games that went on that fool’s errand. Sometimes we, as people, get a little too wrapped up in things like that and we need to be told by people around us what’s going on from an objective perspective: You are Mount&Blade, and you are not acting very Mount&Blade like. A forced team size, respawns, and taking away the larger tactical decisions of true gear selection is something that I don’t think any Mount&Blade game can rightfully include. I can't imagine a single Battle player out there who likes the idea of having multiple respawns a round; it takes away so much of the enjoyment of the game. That is a deal breaker by itself.

Even if you think that you know what is best for the competitive community, they should still have the ability to choose. The argument then follows that Battle can be “modded in,” and is laughable at best. The community thought that the matchmaking mod was a good idea, and I told them then in no uncertain terms that requiring a mod is going to segment the community and restrict newer players from making their way into the scene organically: succinctly, a barrier to entry. A community cannot thrive if the throughput (input - output) is not positive, and when the input is so small due to the barrier to entry that deters most people from even attempting to play, that’s an issue. It's an objective fact that after the scene started using the mod heavily, the influx of new players dropped heavily as the public servers everyone used to play on that new guys would wander into all fell into nothingness because the scene moved to a third party application, seeing it stagnate and languish with little to no new members because of it.

However, I’m not one to come and simply complain without providing solutions, because I believe that is pointless and childish. Ideally, Battle can still ship with the game and the game can actually be balanced enough to where we don’t need to modify anything. Past that, if Skirmish mode is really our only option, then consider allowing us more control over things like equipment, as well as modifying team size. Reconsider the notion that players should respawn multiples times a round. Actually have that conversation with the people who have been playing the game for 6+ years now. Allow us to have more input into what Skirmish entails if you’re not going to allow us to have Battle instead of force-feeding us what you happen to think is best. But, I’m not sorry to say I’d never consider the game a success if you need to treat your loyal community so roughly and sell out the game’s identity while in effect telling us to shut up and sit down while you decide what mode the scene needs and not caring what the scene itself has to say. Surely, Bannerlord is bigger than competitive play, and is bigger than multiplayer, but you don't need to destroy something to add something else, so I have to ask, why are you still deciding to do that? I've yet to hear a fair answer. I'll be here if you find one in your design meetings behind closed doors.

Definitely the most important bits; multiple objective gameplay may not even be a bad thing, and is present in all other competitive games so could prove to be more enjoyable. However, trying to become too much like certain other games, taking away the unique aspects of warband in search of attracting new players is not the way to go. Imo removing single-life is the biggest problem here, it makes it so punishing when someone messes up and keeps the tension high through the whole round.

Crucially, if TW want to push a competitive agenda - which it seems they are looking to - then they need to speak to their competitive players. I didn't start competitive until 2014 when the community was already in real decline, but there are people who have been playing since 2010 or even before in Warband's beta. Talk to these people with thousands, even 10000+ hours, and use the advice to innovate. Battle is not perfect and there are changes that could be made to improve the mode and make it more accessible, but there are equally aspects which make it unique - the removal of which will, as Rhade says, make it just another game struggling to become an esport, being left at the wayside with little unique character of its own.

Rhade said:
jackalj said:
Why not do it again?

*snip*

Thank you rhade.

To summarize the post for you, @jacklij

Players prefer convenience

There is a reason why most of the multiplayer mods are not popular at all. I have never seen an active Iron Europe multiplayer server, a Floris multiplayer server.

The simple fact is that new people dont want to take the effort to download a bunch of files, and go through the hassle of installing stuff and risk breaking their Warband to potentially die 20 times. I doubt your first time playin warband multiplayer was an awesome one.

Rhade is right.

To force the community to have to rely on modders will already seperate the community enough. Maybe you don’t care because you have never played multiplayer, but I like to read how the scene goes, I like watching the duels, and learning new stuff about warband everyday.

I doubt I would have done this if I had to go through the hassle of installing a client when I can simply just go back to playing singleplayer.

The mindset that the “modders will fix this” needs to stop. It poisons video games and hurts everyone, the devs, the players, everyone.

I just wanted to say, that I hope Talewords are wise and will learn from mistakes of the others. Forcing gamemodes just because you think those are "e-sport" ready is big mistake of Relic Entertainment with Dawn of War 3, they butchered everything in multiplayer to try appeal for MOBA/StarCraft fans. But those fans are playing MOBA or SC already. And old fans of classic Relic RTS games dropped the game in month. After 10months game is dead. I'm sure nothing like this will happen with Bannerlord, but Talewords remember, that forcing new ideas will make old fans leave game and there maybe none new ones to pick it up.

aksebkit said:
I just wanted to say, that I hope Talewords are wise and will learn from mistakes of the others. Forcing gamemodes just because you think those are "e-sport" ready is big mistake of Relic Entertainment with Dawn of War 3, they butchered everything in multiplayer to try appeal for MOBA/StarCraft fans. But those fans are playing MOBA or SC already. And old fans of classic Relic RTS games dropped the game in month. After 10months game is dead. I'm sure nothing like this will happen with Bannerlord, but Talewords remember, that forcing new ideas will make old fans leave game and there maybe none new ones to pick it up.

I really did want to bring Dawn of War 3 up -- I really enjoyed Dark Crusade a lot -- because it's an amazing example of the ideas I was trying to get across in actual practice. I didn't want to derail too heavily though in the OP. Glad you brought it up. Agreed. It's a shame, because they could have made DoW3 a competitive game if they had just stuck to what Dawn of War actually was, and just added some supporting functionality to allow for meaningful competition. Instead, the result was the worst of everything they were trying to do, all mixed together, and it had no semblance left of what, to me, Dawn of War felt like.

I typically am happy to see devs support eSports, their potential, and the competitive community as a whole. But you can't sell out completely when you do it, you need to give the community what it needs and give it a platform; not make all their decisions for them.

Rhade said:
aksebkit said:

I really did want to bring Dawn of War 3 up -- I really enjoyed Dark Crusade a lot -- because it's an amazing example of the ideas I was trying to get across in actual practice. I didn't want to derail too heavily though in the OP. Glad you brought it up. Agreed. It's a shame, because they could have made DoW3 a competitive game if they had just stuck to what Dawn of War actually was, and just added some supporting functionality to allow for meaningful competition. Instead, the result was the worst of everything they were trying to do, all mixed together, and it had no semblance left of what, to me, Dawn of War felt like.

I typically am happy to see devs support eSports, their potential, and the competitive community as a whole. But you can't sell out completely when you do it, you need to give the community what it needs and give it a platform; not make all their decisions for them.

It's ironic tho because they are actually killing any true chance at large scale e-sport/competitive by removing Battle.

Warband install process for mods is non intuitive. Bannerlord is suppose to be better (newbie user friendly).

Let's suppose they manage to integrate a transparent process for MP: open server list, filter to whatever you are looking for, see list of servers online (official and/or not), a field shows if you can click to play it, or if you need to click, download to play it (so you know size and how long it takes) after it (no need to relaunch game, select mod, look for servers again, and so on)

That, as a example, would solve the issues related to people not wanting/knowing how to manually download, install and relaunch the game.

Will Bannerlord be this easy? Dunno. But it should at least be way easier than Warband. Something to ask on a future MP blog.

Rhade said:

No, because past the fundamental disagreement I have with this on principal, I don’t agree with it in applied practice, either. Surely, I don’t expect clones as games iterate and advance. Mount&Blade and Mount&Blade:Warband, I played both extensively, and they were cousins. I appreciate the advances made, but I also appreciate that the game kept the same spirit. The proposed changes here, this isn’t in the same family, and is a clear attempt to reach out towards games like For Honor or more MOBA-esque games. Warband occupies a certain space in the industry, and I feel like these types of decisions are being made without the understanding that these are the things that makes a game wander too far in the search of “different” to the point that it loses some of the identity that used to make it great. This extremely competitive industry is littered with the broken remains of those games that went on that fool’s errand. Sometimes we, as people, get a little too wrapped up in things like that and we need to be told by people around us what’s going on from an objective perspective: You are Mount&Blade, and you are not acting very Mount&Blade like. A forced team size, respawns, and taking away the larger tactical decisions of true gear selection is something that I don’t think any Mount&Blade game can rightfully include. I can't imagine a single Battle player out there who likes the idea of having multiple respawns a round; it takes away so much of the enjoyment of the game. That is a deal breaker by itself.

However, I’m not one to come and simply complain without providing solutions, because I believe that is pointless and childish. Ideally, Battle can still ship with the game and the game can actually be balanced enough to where we don’t need to modify anything. Past that, if Skirmish mode is really our only option, then consider allowing us more control over things like equipment, as well as modifying team size. Reconsider the notion that players should respawn multiples times a round. Actually have that conversation with the people who have been playing the game for 6+ years now. Allow us to have more input into what Skirmish entails if you’re not going to allow us to have Battle instead of force-feeding us what you happen to think is best, because any leader knows that his strength comes from those around him and bringing out their best. We’ve been trying to give you our best and here I sit, still doing it -- and diplomatically -- in the attempt to see the same thing happen we all want: Bannerlord a success in every way. But, I’m not sorry to say I’d never consider the game a success if you need to treat your loyal community so roughly and sell out the game’s identity while in effect telling us to shut up and sit down while you decide what mode the scene needs and not caring what the scene itself has to say, handing out bans and mutes to anyone who disagrees. Surely, Bannerlord is bigger than competitive play, and is bigger than multiplayer, but you don't need to destroy something to add something else, so I have to ask, why are you still deciding to do that? I've yet to hear a fair answer. I'll be here if you find one in your design meetings behind closed doors.

#nobattlenobks

Woah this looks like a real **** storm.

While I am one for the classic game mode, I still feel like there is a wrong way to get what you want. You don't want to scream and shout taleworlds into giving you what you want, you want to convince them in a logical manner. I hope that taleworlds defends their position, and I hope that you all keep an open mind, but more importantly I hope that the changes that are being made to the game come from sound discussion and not flamed community outlash.

The post I quoted above has good arguments, but the repition of NO and constant demonization of taleworlds makes it come off kinda dogmatic?
Hopefully I'm not the only one who thinks that, but if I am then disregard what I said.

Just consider...

It is so easy to hop behind the opposition to taleworlds especially since the community has been isolated from the actual game. Maybe you should put this on the back burner? Till the game comes out? By then all the heat will have settled, and all the reactionary people who just don't like change will have gone away.

If this works, are you really going to want to have to do this for every unpopular change taleworlds makes?

Momchilo said:
Rhade said:
aksebkit said:

It's ironic tho because they are actually killing any true chance at large scale e-sport/competitive by removing Battle.

You're right.

kalarhan said:
Warband install process for mods is non intuitive. Bannerlord is suppose to be better (newbie user friendly).

Let's suppose they manage to integrate a transparent process for MP: open server list, filter to whatever you are looking for, see list of servers online (official and/or not), a field shows if you can click to play it, or if you need to click, download to play it (so you know size and how long it takes) after it (no need to relaunch game, select mod, look for servers again, and so on)

That, as a example, would solve the issues related to people not wanting/knowing how to manually download, install and relaunch the game.

Will Bannerlord be this easy? Dunno. But it should at least be way easier than Warband. Something to ask on a future MP blog.

We are supposing quite a lot there, and in my experience, that's asking for problems  I'm not in the habit of assuming or supposing. But, for the moment, let's assume it's as easy, perfect, hassle-free and perfectly executed as you laid it out: there's still no necessary reason that we need to do that in the first place. The entire argument supposes that Battle isn't necessary, and I think we have done a decent job at explaining why it is necessary. So, I can't endorse the idea that the best case scenario is a convenient modding implementation while the more likely scenario is the one I already laid out where it is nowhere near that easy, thus prohibitive. Even ARK's system isn't quite that easy and they have massive amounts of money. Again, however, both of those scenarios suppose Battle is an afterthought. It isn't.

The biggest issue with requiring any sort of client-side multiplayer mod is generating clicks. The community-made matchmaking & ranking system was an excellent initiative but it required setup on the player's part, which means if a new player coming into the game didn't know where to go or didn't even know to look in the first place then they wouldn't be able to participate in it. The forum is great, but not every player comes here. Many come here and go straight to one section of the board or another, and hardly look around at the rest of it. There are mods & modders for Warband that I've never heard of and never seen on the forum, but they have hundreds or thousands of posts and have been around for years. I've never gone looking for them, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

The entry barrier for a client-side multiplayer mod isn't that it has a setup, it's that people have to be aware it exists.

If TaleWorlds truly wants to stick to their guns on this issue and leave Battle mode to the modders, then they have to give us a level of mod interaction in the server browser that addresses this issue. Even if it's just an option to pop up a relevant web page when someone tries to join a modded server without the mod installed, there must be something in the game that even the laziest & most unobservant players will be confronted with other than an incorrect version error. Ideally we would have the ability to automatically download mod files from the server we try to connect to when it's running a mod we don't have, and the mod files would be installed & activated upon joining. Other games have this functionality already, and if Bannerlord will have Steam Workshop integration then that makes it even easier to implement (though it would require Steam to function). The issue then becomes convincing players that whatever mod you have is worth the few seconds of downtime it takes to acquire it, and trust me, people will have to be convinced to give up 5 seconds of their time to automatically download a mod. :roll:

That said, it's asinine to remove the competitive multiplayer game mode--and second most popular mode overall--in the first place. The way to get us to play other modes is to offer genuinely entertaining alternatives, not remove the one we like.

#nobattlenobks

The modding side would have to as adaptable as Counter-Strike:GO(or any CS version tbh) to be hassle free. The ease of being able to join Zombie Mod, KZ, Surf, Community Deathmatch, etc. through the server browser and have everything work is what makes mods work in that game.

Still, I have to agree with Rhade on this. Maybe have thoughts on this later.
#NoBattleNoBKS

Already posted my opinions on the matter.

Gelden said:
Posted my thoughts about this in another thread on the issue: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,375104.msg8939251.html#msg8939251

Gelden said:
As many have eluded to here, and something I want to bring to the discussion: there has been a feeling of disconnect between the competitive Mount and Blade community and the developers of their beloved game. One of two things seem to be at play here. Either TaleWorlds are completely ignorant of the native competitive community, or they have little ambitions to foster and grow it - if this is the case I'd love to know the 'why?'. Is it a case of numbers and potential? (I.e. "not enough people play it therefore we should focus on more lucrative endeavors"). I understand not everybody may get what they want out of Bannerlord, but this is large community who have accumulated knowledge over 8 years that I think should be taken into consideration for the future of multiplayer in this franchise.

Well, the latest blog seems like they are trying to do something for the multiplayer domain, but it falls far short of its potential, and seems to have ignored the foundation that the competitive Warband community has built over the last 8 years. The reason you are seeing so many competitive players coming out of the woodwork with skeptical expressions is because each serious player has an idea of what the multiplayer game could be, and the community's collective dream has taken a swift kick to the scrotum with this latest blog. Not only that, but they (TWs) have done the equivalent of my blind grandma trying to throw a bulls-eye in darts - they seem to have completely missed the mark. My only hope is that the blog is not indicative to what we'll see come release day.

I sincerely hope this new game mode, which now seems to be what TaleWorlds is promoting (in place of battle) lives up to the hype you are trying to create. My advice, and the advice of the majority of the people who have successfully played your game competitively for years, is to keep battle mode. We know its strengths, and we know what needs to be done from a developers stand-point to fix the weaknesses. It would be foolish to release the multiplayer game without officially supporting the battle game mode. Release it (with the fixes that the competitive community have smoothed out over years) beside your new skirmisher game mode and let the community decide what the best game mode is.

I think for the conversation to progress further, we need to be civil. I'd like to hear the input of others from the competitive warband community and why we should try to save battle mode (if even possible). It might be useful to put together a list of strengths to try to convince TaleWorlds a mistake is being made.

Orion said:
The proof is in the pudding, really. We've been tinkering with Battle for years because at its core it's an excellent game mode. Every change made to it has had the effect of paring it down to its essence, which is the fight. What we want most of all is that.

I think this is the best argument I've seen so far for why battle needs to be kept. The competitive community has tried different game modes, but always flooded back to simple battle, for good reasons. Other, objective based game modes take away the focus from being on the 7 or 8 opposing players in front of you, to external factors (in Bannerlord's supposed case, multiple flags and morale). Competitive players are only interested in matching up their own group of 7-8 fighters against the skill of another 7-8 fighters, with external factors playing the smallest role possible.

To make an honest argument, however, we need to point out the flaws in battle. By no means do the flaws make it unplayable, and certainly they do not suggest that the game mode should ever be destroyed (alas, I'm still baffled as to why I have to be here making these arguments). Off the top of my head, I can think of the following issues that the community struggled with. The gold balance is big because we can't mod it out; other issues could be changed via mods, but the need for a revamped, updated and balanced battle was in the minds of every serious competitive player in the community, and most expected it with Bannerlord.
  • Gold balance among items over different factions
  • Waiting for flag can be considered a downside, which a shorter timer helps with
  • Unviability of Khergits

There's probably more, but the positives outweigh the negatives:
  • Single elimination
  • Choosing your own gear (this is actually balanced because everybody is given the same amount of gold, the only thing to do from a developers standpoint is to make similar armour/weapon stats across factions for gear i.e. a heavy Vaegir chest piece has similar stats to a nord like-item, both available for similar amounts of $)
  • Limiting external factors, maximizing the chances that a win is based on player/team skill using the combat system

I will make a quick note about gear customization and its importance before I end this. Allowing players to choose their gear can be balanced as well as allow for greater tactical potential. To give an example, there are times as a cavalry player that I may want to switch to a faster horse (courser) to be able to outrun the enemy cavalry. I take a risk in doing this, as it makes me more squishy, however, having it so the other cav can't catch me, I have opened up new possibilities for myself. There are many other examples of this, such as choosing an axe over a sword in order to break shields. Choosing a spear to shield-stun opponents. Choosing a lesser shield in favour of a better weapon. The only downside to all this, if you want to call it one, is that teams are gear swapping at the beginning of rounds.

I suggest TaleWorlds releases the new game mode under scrutiny into a testing stage at some point, before it is released officially, and that battle be released beside it.

Pretty much line up with what has been said here. Do TWs usually offer replies to community concerns like this?

Great post Rhade, it's very important we give our voice to the devs, not all of us can express our opinions correctly, without insulting or we'll written (for me, English isn't my native language) glad to see people like you do. And I hope I'm not wrong about Taleworlds, but I think they care about us and they care about making a good game, they have said it before, and they won't let us down with this. #nobattlenokbs

Back
Top Bottom