No way to replace the culture selection music??

Users who are viewing this thread

I've investigated this for a few days, but still have no clue about how to replace the music with my own pieces when selecting a culture in the CC menu (i.e., the CharacterCreationScreen).

What I've found so far:
  • When selecting a culture, it calls SoundManager.SetGlobalParameter("MissionCulture", <an enum value>) to switch between the built-in musics
  • The musics are actually "sounds", which are packed into Sounds/PC/MainBank.assets.bank. I didn't find anything about them in music/soundtrack.xml.
  • The music seems to be played as scene ambient or something. Strong reverb FX is added to it, making it more immersive and sounding like from far distance.
  • The C# code only plays another layer of character_creation_ambient sound. I couldn't find the code that plays the music (or any sound event that controls it)
  • I added breakpoints to all the suspicious methods in SoundManager, hoping to capture the playing action. I had no luck.
  • That why I presume the music is not played by C# code, but rather embedded in the scene. The only scene loaded by CharacterCreationScreen is character_menu_new. But I couldn't find any entity inside that controls sound playing.
I'm not quite familiar with the scene editor, so I might have missed something. But I think such music (or sound?) is controlled somewhere outside the scripting layer but is down to the engine.

I also can't find anything about how the Global Sound Parameter MissionCulture works. I followed the API call chain, but it only leads me to the interop API.

Could anyone please shed some lights on how to, if ever possible, replace this music, or where the global sound parameter is defined and controlled?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
AFAIK TW use PSAI an old engine for music, which is inaccessible to modders. So, most modders use the FMOD sound system to implement music. As I know very little about this, I suggest you look at this thread https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/modding-sound-music.433302/post-9561243

The other alternative, which is also above my pay grade is to implement a separate sound engine, as Ster has done for KOA.
Thanks mate! You're always so helpful 😆 I didn't thought this was also controlled by PSAI given that it uses SoundManager to control the parameter while there is MusicManager...

I saw people talking in discord about using a 3rd party sound system but I didn't expect that I would run into this problem so fast. I guess I'll have to override every single place whenever music plays a part, for the native music won't work for our mod TOTALLY. I'm gonna find a rope for myself.

A million thanks to you again! I'll take a look at the FMOD solution first.

Upvote 0
Thanks mate! You're always so helpful 😆 I didn't thought this was also controlled by PSAI given that it uses SoundManager to control the parameter while there is MusicManager...

I saw people talking in discord about using a 3rd party sound system but I didn't expect that I would run into this problem so fast. I guess I'll have to override every single place whenever music plays a part, for the native music won't work for our mod TOTALLY. I'm gonna find a rope for myself.

A million thanks to you again! I'll take a look at the FMOD solution first.
good luck :smile:

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom