Resolved No sound from startup

Users who are viewing this thread

Since update 1.0.5 there is no sound in game. I've had to solve an issue on my computer to bring back sound on all other games of my library and computer in general, but M&B2 still stubbornly refuses to sound a peep.
I'll keep looking for a solution on my end of things, but if others are having the same issue, they can add their voices to this thread.

Same thing for me. Got no sound since yesterday and it's only on Bannerlord.
I have launch the game and there's no sound so i quit the game and all my PC got sound problem. After that i reinstall the chipset and the sound came back but still no sound on bannerlord.
So like Purest i think it was probably due to the update cause Bannerlord is the only one left to does'nt work for the sound. All my other games and soft are working (like warband).

I've even reinstall the game, check the files with steam but it tell me all is ok.
So i'm a bit disapointed right now, i don't think i can do more by my own.

Just had the same problem, easy to fix but weird that it happens:

Edit with notepad the file: Documents\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\Configs\engine_config.txt
Find the line:
disable_sound = 1
and change it to
disable_sound = 0
Save.
The game should have sound now.

===

Some more details for the developers:
I messed around with the settings in game, enabled nr. of sounds to 512 and set it from Stereo to Headphones.

Something else messed up too since the onboard Realtek soundcard basically crashed, outside of the game.

Then since I launched the game while the sound system was dead I guess it defaulted to disable_sound.

After switching soundcards (TT Esports Bahamut external USB) my normal windows sound returned but the game was silent so I started poking around. After deleting the configs the game once again had sound.

So I did a diff on the old config with the new config and found the "disable_sound = 1" line. Changing it obviously enables/disables sound.

Last edited:
Thank you for real, i've tried and it works.
I would just ask you, how or where did you find the solution?
I'm a bit confused about what thing could automatically change this setting and more than that, change it for just some users.

Thank you again man you really help me on this. Good day to you and i hope this will help the others.

In my case the thing that automatically changed the setting was the crashing of the sound card. In other cases I guess things that could cause it to not detect sound is removing devices like unplugging headphones.

I found the setting by comparing the old configuration file (the one with no sound) with the newly generated configuration file (that had sound).

P.S. I guess the thread can be marked as solved?

No don't mark it solved please.

While the diagnose is correct for some people problem is more complex.

I tried changing the no_sound setting in the config file but each time the game launches it overwrites the config file back to no sound. I tried making the file read only but the game still overwrites it. Furthermore whenever I try to access options in game the game crashes. Before patch v1.05 I could change it and had sound only with headphones. Also when I had sound the in game options menu did not crash the game.

For the love of god, if anyone knows where the overriding configuration comes from tell me so I can fix it.

Or better yet, DEVs STOP PLAYING DEAD and if you are not going to fix it at least explain why the f*** the config file is keep getting overwritten so we can fix it ourselves.

If anyone from TALEWORLDS bother to read this tread here is some more in for you to troubleshoot:

This problem is available since day one,

Around the second patch I was able to manually change the no_sound setting and play with sounds, ONLY with a headset,

Every patch reverted the config file back and I had to change it again,

After patch v.1.0.5 I'm not able to change it manually. It gets overwritten every single time,

My computer is running win7 with MSI x99a Gaming Pro Carbon MB, Nvidia 1080gtx gpu and Realtek (Nahimic2) sound drivers. All drivers are up to date, no other programs or games have any sound problems whatsoever.

Ok here's some more diagnostic info: When and if game starts up with sound if I go into the options menu and change sound device from headphones to speakers, then after exiting and opening the options menu again shows sound device as no driver. This looks like the game is somehow losing the sound driver when speakers are selected. And when game cannot find the sound driver it is setting the config to no sound.

Last edited:
Interesting. When I set the file read only and changed normal ingame (number of sounds) settings it didn't overwrite it. This disable_sound check must be a lower level.

You could try the hard way of setting it read-only:

Properties->Security->Advanced

Click "Change" where it says owner, and introduce "Administrator"

Close the dialogs.

Properties->Security->Edit

Select your username in the list

Click the Deny checkbox on Write

Ok and close the dialogs

Test by trying to edit the file with notepad. It should disallow saving.

I disabled all my soundcards and launched the game. In the options it said "No sound driver" but after exiting it did not set disable_sound.

==EDIT==

WTF. I enabled write access and even when launched with no sound cards enabled it did not set the disable_sound. So it's not the lack of soundcards that is causing this.

Interesting. When I set the file read only and changed normal ingame (number of sounds) settings it didn't overwrite it. This disable_sound check must be a lower level.

You could try the hard way of setting it read-only:

Properties->Security->Advanced

Click "Change" where it says owner, and introduce "Administrator"

Close the dialogs.

Properties->Security->Edit

Select your username in the list

Click the Deny checkbox on Write

Ok and close the dialogs

Test by trying to edit the file with notepad. It should disallow saving.

I disabled all my soundcards and launched the game. In the options it said "No sound driver" but after exiting it did not set disable_sound.

==EDIT==

WTF. I enabled write access and even when launched with no sound cards enabled it did not set the disable_sound. So it's not the lack of soundcards that is causing this.

Thanks for the idea. Apperently the game doesn't like my sound drivers and refuses to use them with the speakers. It also crashes the sound driver while trying. Restarting the computer fixes the overwrite issue (only when set to use headphones tho). And also, it seems, the overwriting is done by the game engine itself (lower level as you said) when it fails to find a sound driver.

Hello, thanks for reporting this issue. Unfortunately, we were unable to respond to this topic when it was first created. If you are still experiencing this issue with the latest live or beta versions of the game, please leave a reply to this thread so we can forward to the team for investigation.

Hey! I'm going to mark this thread as resolved. If the problem persists, please let me know. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom