[no rbm] There is a cool mod that changes damage / distance / armor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Did someone say cavalry charge? Boy I wish Bannerlord cavalry was OP as it should be and just rework AI and player formation to include spear line to counter it.

Agreed. They should nerf horse armor. Imperial scale barding is impenetrable. Even Elite Cataphracts die more often than their mounts.
Alternatively, damage should increase for units when they are dismounted at speed.
Imagine being thrown off your horse with all that armor on at gallop speed...

I agree that mounted units should not have "two" lives.

Alternatively, damage should increase for units when they are dismounted at speed.
Imagine being thrown off your horse with all that armor on at gallop speed...
Killed horse stops being an engine object, so its impossible to calculate its speed and dismounting damage for the horseman AFAIK.
However, the game has dismounting mechanic, so it maybe better to just kill/knock out ANY fallen horseman (dismounted OR whose mount is killed), no matter how many HP are still left or what armor is currently equipped. Because, well, it seems that falling from a horse is quite a harmful experience LOL

Did someone say cavalry charge? Boy I wish Bannerlord cavalry was OP as it should be and just rework AI and player formation to include spear line to counter it.
Liked the acting. Totally hated the combat scenes. All budget went on Pattinson and Shalamet, hence combat doesn't look epic at all, too few extras.
And French knights charging with SWORDS DRAWN and ZERO LANCES, like its 1812 OMG.

Yeah, I'm in favour of cavalry charges actually doing realistic high impact similar to their treatment in RBM (knockdown, decent charge damage on a direct hit too)

BUT (and it's a big one)

These high-impact cavalry charges being
balanced out by shields and pikes. If you have a large shield, you can make the horse rear up on the charge (this isn't entirely physically realistic but I don't expect TW to put in the work for anything more complex). If you have a pike, obviously you can brace it as currently; the problem with pikes is there aren't enough of them in the game.

If you have a two-handed non-braceable weapon you get rekt, which is pretty realistic and gives melee cavalry the gameplay role of countering shock infantry. Right now melee cav don't counter anything at all.

These high-impact cavalry charges being balanced out by shields and pikes. If you have a large shield, you can make the horse rear up on the charge (this isn't entirely physically realistic but I don't expect TW to put in the work for anything more complex). If you have a pike, obviously you can brace it as currently; the problem with pikes is there aren't enough of them in the game.
There is more than enough pikes. Problem is the AI doesn't have the command to use it. If you tell them to shield wall they won't brace spears or even dual wield it. I agree, I am really all in for buffing all infantry/archers/horses/skirmishers and make them counter each other in the right situation. Instead of just F1 F3, because the difference between each unit is so small. Only good units right now are Fians (which are still not that great considering a T2 troop can get in melee of a Fian with his T2 shield :pepega:smile:.

Example would be Battanian Oathsworns. They have shield and pike and they don't use pikes at all + Falxman get grouped in "polearm" group, which is supposed to be a spear brace line... I feel like each kingdom should have atleast 1 troop with spear brace capability.

Main issue with cavalry is. Cavalry are TANKS, you put HEAVY ARMOR ON A HORSE. The reason cavalry is so deadly is because this tank is fast and mobile! In bannerlord a peasant with a pitchfork can kill the said tank. So charging is a suicide instead of "thunderous charge" as the riding perk says.

Killed horse stops being an engine object, so its impossible to calculate its speed and dismounting damage for the horseman AFAIK.
What? Just add OnKill() function to save the speed at which the mount was moving if mounted. Then just calculate the dmg taken by horse rider and I highly disagree with instant kill of the horse rider, when he falls off. Yes some/lot of damage ok. But instant kill would make it really bad when they get killed by arrows when standing still or driving slowly x). Even fixed amount of damage would be AOK.

Problem is the AI doesn't have the command to use it. If you tell them to shield wall they won't brace spears or even dual wield it.
They do seem to automatically equip spears and brace them when cavalry shows up. But it would be great to specifically order them to change weapons... like we could in Warband (I'm getting really sick of saying those words, step up your game TW)
Example would be Battanian Oathsworns. They have shield and pike and they don't use pikes at all + Falxman get grouped in "polearm" group, which is supposed to be a spear brace line...
Yeah, it's a mess. I think this is due to a bug or bad AI design decision: infantry don't use their spears at all unless cavalry are present, they default to their sidearm for fighting inf if they have one.
I feel like each kingdom should have atleast 1 troop with spear brace capability.
Agreed, there aren't enough.

Battania has 5 infantry units that can spear brace and Vlandia has 4, so they're fine.

Khuzaits have just 1 infantry unit that can spear brace. Empire and Aserai have no infantry that can spear brace, though some of their cavalry units can. Sturgia have no units capable of spear bracing at all.

I made this thread which goes more in-depth about the reorganization that needs to occur for a good amount of brace-capable pike units.
Main issue with cavalry is. Cavalry are TANKS, you put HEAVY ARMOR ON A HORSE. The reason cavalry is so deadly is because this tank is fast and mobile! In bannerlord a peasant with a pitchfork can kill the said tank. So charging is a suicide instead of "thunderous charge" as the riding perk says.
Yeah, we also need to fix armour.

They do seem to automatically equip spears and brace them when cavalry shows up. But it would be great to specifically order them to change weapons... like we could in Warband (I'm getting really sick of saying those words, step up your game TW)

Yeah, it's a mess. I think this is due to a bug or bad AI design decision: infantry don't use their spears at all unless cavalry are present, they default to their sidearm for fighting inf if they have one.
[....]

Yeah, we also need to fix armour.
It seems that even if you show Taleworlds polls with significant percentages... they still don't take action...

sourcesource
KQ2BX.jpg

unknown.png

There are certain issues that make one's eyes water when one remembers them... how is it possible that in Bannerlord we don't have this if in previous editions we did? You just needed an improved 2.0 version, not to throw the idea away...

giphy.gif

It seems that even if you show Taleworlds polls with significant percentages... they still don't take action...
I mean, I remember playing on release SP and MP. Didn't you have option to tell your units "use ranged only" "skirmish" "use spears" in multiplayer captain mode? Or am I mixing it with Warband.

I mean, I remember playing on release SP and MP. Didn't you have option to tell your units "use ranged only" "skirmish" "use spears" in multiplayer captain mode? Or am I mixing it with Warband.
(comment not intended to sound arrogant ??).... Other users as well as I've been trying to get Taleworlds to introduce this mechanic since 2019 of the closed alpha-beta period. No... there was never such a thing in Bannerlord... the bot chooses for you still...

It was a dream .:lol:

(comment not intended to sound arrogant ??).... Other users as well as I've been trying to get Taleworlds to introduce this mechanic since 2019 of the closed alpha-beta period. No... there was never such a thing in Bannerlord... the bot chooses for you still...

It was a dream .:lol:
I understand that their design philosophy is one that is supposed to render the game more accessible to new players but they could literally add a command that delegates such tasks to the AI which could be enabled by default and a way to disable that and manually adjust such commands, appealing to both new and veteran players.

Last edited:
Uhm, Cav does like 5 collision damage to high tier units (because its damage is absorbed by armor), are you sure you are not playing with some other mod that tweaks blunt damage or cav damage together with RBM. Only time I saw high trample damage was when I hit looter or some other low tier unit accidentally to the head. BTW have you tried square or just very deep line formation or even better shieldwall with infantry vs cav? In my experience can have hard time punching through and tends to get stuck inside the formation and murdered when they manage to punch through?

There is more than enough pikes. Problem is the AI doesn't have the command to use it. If you tell them to shield wall they won't brace spears or even dual wield it. I agree, I am really all in for buffing all infantry/archers/horses/skirmishers and make them counter each other in the right situation. Instead of just F1 F3, because the difference between each unit is so small. Only good units right now are Fians (which are still not that great considering a T2 troop can get in melee of a Fian with his T2 shield :pepega:smile:.

Example would be Battanian Oathsworns. They have shield and pike and they don't use pikes at all + Falxman get grouped in "polearm" group, which is supposed to be a spear brace line... I feel like each kingdom should have atleast 1 troop with spear brace capability.

What? Just add OnKill() function to save the speed at which the mount was moving if mounted. Then just calculate the dmg taken by horse rider and I highly disagree with instant kill of the horse rider, when he falls off. Yes some/lot of damage ok. But instant kill would make it really bad when they get killed by arrows when standing still or driving slowly x). Even fixed amount of damage would be AOK.
In vanilla (or RBM for that matter) infantry will brace their pikes / spears when they stand still, so thats how you cna make them brace. In RBM we just force infantry to hold ground when its victim of cavalry charge (that is some 100m away or closer) and there is no other significnat enemy force nearby, generally this does not happen because there are other enemies to fight, but it might happen if you defeat enemy army and only cav is left..

I understand that their design philosophy is one that is supposed to render the game more accessible to new players but they could literally add a command that relegates such tasks to the AI which could be enabled by default and a way to disable that and manually adjust such commands, appealing to both new and veteran players.
Exactly that.

Imagine Bannerlord with a command to focus fire/melee to enemy formation + command to switch weapons ( primary - secondary)... with that you would be making a very large group of players happy in both SP and MP and at the same time not altering the playable experience of those players who feel overwhelmed by micromanagement who still can use the delegate command or the simple f1+f3.

Really sums up so many of the problems/deficiencies plaguing the game
?

In addition to what Terco_Viejo said, that particular shot of a cavalry charge was a failed take, where the directors didn't stop the horses in time and they charged all the way into the stuntmen.

While part of a film, it was a real horse really charging and hitting a real man, no special effects or anything making it happen.

Back
Top Bottom