No double stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

Askorti

Master Knight
Hi everybody!
Short version: Disable wielding two the same items like two shields or two crossbows. Except arrows.

long story: When I'm playing multiplayer I'm often getting pissed of because of so called turtles. They're basically guys with two or even more shields. One time I even seen guy with two crossbows at one time. It's probably easy to figure out why he too them...
It should be disabled because its super unrealistic and super annoying.

But people used two or more shields IRL all the time.  Shields broke, soldiers knew that.  It's not like this is something people didn't do. 

Same goes double for carrying around two slow-firing weapons- dragoons used to carry around a brace of loaded pistols, back in the days of flintlocks, so that they could shoot 3-5 times.

xenoargh said:
But people used two or more shields IRL all the time.  Shields broke, soldiers knew that.  It's not like this is something people didn't do. 

Same goes double for carrying around two slow-firing weapons- dragoons used to carry around a brace of loaded pistols, back in the days of flintlocks, so that they could shoot 3-5 times.
I never heard of using two shields. And how would you carry them? Two on back? Its impossible. Yes, knights had their squires who gave hem a shield when their broke, but they did not wield both of them at once.

The same deal with crossbow, its whole different thing to have two rifles and two crossbows.

The vikings were known to carry an extra shield, but I don't know if that was simply an extra shield on the march or an extra shield into combat itself. I'd imagine if you were fighting in formation you could just drop your shield behind you, or keep it slung on your back.

However,  carrying three shields is just stupid. The third shield doesn't even appear anywhere on your person, you just pull it out of your ass.

Edit: Carrying multiple crossbows is also a bit silly, in my opinion. Especially when you consider the fact that the high powered ones already fire unrealistically fast.

EdwardWellcraft said:
However,  carrying three shields is just stupid. The third shield doesn't even appear anywhere on your person, you just pull it out of your ass.
You mentioned Vikings. Here, in M&B Nords very often use: one handed axe, two shields and long great axe. It's ridiculous.

KuroiNekouPL said:
EdwardWellcraft said:
You mentioned Vikings. Here, in M&B Nords very often use: one handed axe, two shields and long great axe. It's ridiculous.
And a huge bag of throwing axes or spears.

KuroiNekouPL said:
Hi everybody!
Short version: Disable wielding two the same items like two shields or two crossbows. Except arrows.

They're not wielding two things at once, one shield is tied to the back while another is used on hand. It's more like carrying a spare one in case the one in your hand break apart if you think the enemy you're facing today is going heavy on the projectiles or axes.

dont see the big issue with double-shielding, its a disavantage to those that do it,  the speed penalty is horrible-  and top-end shields are expensive enough that having two will limit their other equipment choices.
true they can take a sword and 3 free sheilds, but thats useless. i free shield will break in a couple of hits, meaning they will die as they swap it.

One very strong shield is a thousand times better than 2-3 crap ones.

I must admit I'm in favour of this suggestion. A warriors' aesthetic coolness decreases by 50% per shield above 1. It's proven scientifically. :razz:

I must also admit that I've never, ever heard of soldiers anywhere carrying more than one shield. Not in contemporary depictions and not in any stories either. The only thing that's remotely similar are Vikings who used three or so in DUELS, not on the actual battlefield.

Heck, the whole (possibly stereotyped) longship with shields hanging from its sides only had one per viking aboard, which is why I assume these people used other shields than the battlefield-shields when duelling, although that's wild speculation.

The double crossbow thing would be unrealistic, although not something I've seen done much in Warband. Even if you could comfortably attach two crossbows to your back with some sort of harness or string (when you draw your melee weapon), you can't keep them loaded in that state- the bolts would drop out.

Still, not sure whether it needs to be prevented, as I haven't seen it much at all.

Two shielding is quite annoying to see, but isn't necessarily a helpful thing for the person doing it. Like Qwertyman says, one good shield is the best option.

I'm mostly playing on an arena server and such a ppl are very annoying when you're waiting for next round, even when archery is off...
(the part about crossbows was from other server)

From my little experience I know that "turtles" mostly loose their duels because enemy with axe crash their shields (it takes too long) or confuse then with blocking.

KuroiNekouPL said:
EdwardWellcraft said:

There are loads of ridiculous things in the world, doesn't mean it did not happen.

I always carry two shields unless I'm packing a ranged weapon. But I agree you shouldn't be able to store extra shields in your invisible ass-pocket-dimension; two should be the limit, and if you try to sling one while you already have one on your back, you should just drop it.

Alternatively, this whole problem could be avoided by separating a shield slot from the weapon slots.

Two is a bit much for larger & heavier shields already. There's no way you can walk the way you do now with a huscarls' shield in hand and an other on your back.

AWdeV said:
I must admit I'm in favour of this suggestion. A warriors' aesthetic coolness decreases by 50% per shield above 1. It's proven scientifically. :razz:

Why? It looks freaking awesome the first time and the last time I've done it.

AWdeV said:
Two is a bit much for larger & heavier shields already. There's no way you can walk the way you do now with a huscarls' shield in hand and an other on your back.

If you have a Huscarl's shield on your back, you can't see what you're doing in 3rd person. And if you have one in your hand, you can barely see what you're doing in first person. Does anyone try to use two Huscarl shields at once?

I've seen people plodding about like that in duel servers. With, ofcourse, the best one-handed axe as well. Good thing people are easily ignorable.

Bump! (cuz its important for me)
I'm wondering why developers NEVER answer suggestions in this board... It'd be way better I'd know if they are willing to implement something or not, because now I have some sort of hope....

My view on double wielding: Xbows are fine, taking 2 xbows leaves you without a shield and taking 3 leaves you totally exposed in melee. Multiple shields are a bit lame, but its only worth doing with factions that don't have good selection of weapons in your situation (usually swadia). The rest of the time you would be better off with a utility weapon like a pike or some throwing weapons or just a 2hander. Shields also slow you down quite a bit.

Back
Top Bottom