Next tournament nation-based?

8v8 or 6v6? (Clan Tournament)

• 8v8

Votes: 71 68.3%
  • 6v6

Votes: 33 31.7%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

I agree that it should be 6v6, but people are clearly wanting an 8v8 and this poll will just be gamed to fit someone's preference. It's only been up for 5 hours during EU's sleep time and has 20 votes, the 6v6 has clearly already been gamed.

Seems like 8v8 running away with it, maybe I can do an ECS style tournament though rework to be funner for teams of different levels? Or would people prefer a league?

ECS is favoured to the top level teams and provides nothing interesting to mid or low level teams, who get destroyed in the groups and don’t get to play against equal opposition. Also, given that teams change every tournament, I don’t think there are enough stable teams that could be invited.

I don’t think the division system should be moved away from, especially given how much more div B and C players enjoy it. If it is to be avoided for this tournament, there should be something in the format to guarantee some good games for teams of those levels.

The ESC can always have the ECL for lower teams, the problem with the division system is you're never winning a tournament as a lower division team, you're just winning your division which gives no benefit.

Running an ECS and ECL means you'll essentially have two separate tournaments where lower skilled teams actually win a medal. Instead of using the ECL for knocked out teams, using it solely for 'lower' skilled teams means you'll get fierce competition in both tournaments with medals at the end. The only difference is you're essentially running two tournaments at once, but I doubt the work load is any different than having all teams in one tournament, just copy paste the threads and fixtures.

RTC as a rookie tournament had extremely positive feedback and actually got teams to continue in other tournaments (FP). Divisons are probably fun to play in but you're not really playing for anything as you're not going to win the tournament, having two tournaments ran in unison would be cool. I'm sure if some effort was made, this tournament could get a lot of teams and I'd rather a big exciting tournament than a dreary standard tournament.

Last edited:
the problem with the division system is you're never winning a tournament as a lower division team, you're just winning your division which gives no benefit.

using it solely for 'lower' skilled teams means you'll get fierce competition in both tournaments with medals at the end

The distinction of calling the ECL a different tournament is unimportant, the important part is allowing teams of every level to compete against opposition of a relatively equal level to themselves. It is rewarding to win a tough match against a rival or a difficult opponent, regardless of whether you are in a top team or a div C team.

The top-heavy focus of the past made sense in an era where most people were aiming to improve and where there were many more top teams/players, but in current Warband, where there are comparatively few top players and teams, I don't think a tournament catered to that group is a good idea. Division B and C should be the most important consideration.

I agree with ECS, it was too top focused even at the time. Now it's even more important to make it as fun as possible for teams of all levels. If we do an ECS style tournament it will be heavily modified to make it exciting for teams of every level. I remember the old ECS used to just give like 2 games of getting smashed due to seeding to 50% of the teams.

I don't know if other people feel the same way, but the standard 'divison league' format just seems bland, uninspired and doesn't give a real sense of competition - it's not that the format is bad, it's just a psychological barrier that makes it seem more half-ass bland casual tournament. WNL has always been one of the best competitive tournaments, but that's mainly because of the reputation it's built overtime, even though the format is kinda meh. Having a division league format outside the WNL just seems off. ECS2 was extremely successful and for some reason the format felt good (even though it has flaws), adopting an ECS style format which caters to lower teams seems like a good idea and would be preferred. The WRL (although a really good tournament) isn't really 'exciting', even with some of these oldie teams coming back, need something to spice it up.

I quite liked the idea of having invited teams with other teams having the chance of entering the tournament through qualifiers, but obviously this wouldn't be implemented as there's not enough 'good' teams and the lower teams wouldn't really be able to participate unless you find an intuitive way of doing it.

Last edited:
I don't know if other people feel the same way, but the standard 'divison league' format just seems bland, uninspired and doesn't give a real sense of competition - it's not that the format is bad, it's just a psychological barrier that makes it seem more half-ass bland casual tournament. WNL has always been one of the best competitive tournaments, but that's mainly because of the reputation it's built overtime, even though the format is kinda meh. Having a division league format outside the WNL just seems off. ECS2 was extremely successful and for some reason the format felt good (even though it has flaws), adopting an ECS style format which caters to lower teams seems like a good idea and would be preferred. The WRL (although a really good tournament) isn't really 'exciting', even with some of these oldie teams coming back, need something to spice it up.

I quite liked the idea of having invited teams with other teams having the chance of entering the tournament through qualifiers, but obviously this wouldn't be implemented as there's not enough 'good' teams and the lower teams wouldn't really be able to participate unless you find an intuitive way of doing it.
I understand where you coming from, the WNL format isn't the most 'entertaining' by any mean but imo the tournament (especially the last two edition) served a purpose which was to keep a scene with a decreasing activity, alive. I think this feeling of boredom you talking about is mostly coming from Div A (I experienced it too) where the whole groupstage just serves as 'practice' and doesn't really mean anything nor does it heavily punishes bad performances.

As Gibby rightfully pointed it out though, the ECS system is a bit more entertaining but also tougher for less experienced teams. if Deacon can find a way to slightly re-work it in a way which keeps the thrill of the ECS stages but also give a chance to the smaller teams to have an enjoyable experience, then that sure sounds like a cool idea.

If I was a Div B team I'd enjoyed the current WNL system far more than ECS which is a dead tourney for 80% of teams after getting stomped by better teams.

The whole league format was good also, but we always struggled with the picking format.

Back
Top Bottom