New TweakMB tweak: Choose quest from menu

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello, sorry for bringing back an old post. I was wondering, can I add this to other mods such as Brytenwalda? When I click on the spoilers nothing shows up. Is there supposed to be code there?

Thanks

CptAWatts22 said:
Hello, sorry for bringing back an old post. I was wondering, can I add this to other mods such as Brytenwalda? When I click on the spoilers nothing shows up. Is there supposed to be code there?

Thanks

No - that particular tweak is designed specifically for Native.  It will not work for anything else.  Honestly I don't know if it even works with the current version of Native anymore (I haven't tested it in ages).  The "spoilers" were just screenshots (which apparently aren't there anymore!).

CptAWatts22 said:
Ah ok. Is there any other way I can enable this?

For a mod, no, not easily.  This particular tweak is not a "normal" tweak where you're just taking one number and changing it to a different number.  To get this tweak to work, you have to add a whole pile of custom code to the conversations.txt file, and the code you add would have to be different for each individual mod.

That said, the tweak could theoretically be made to work with any mod, but only if you know what you're doing and have the time and patience to make it work.  It also helps a lot if you have the source code for the mod and can compile the changes yourself.

Fair enough..Is there a way I can see how the tweak MB adds it to the native game and then try to alter it to work with the mod I'd like to add it too?

*Necro* - sorry, but this was a question I had, and I think future nostalgia players of Warband (etc) might benefit from what I've found so far:

You can't add this TweakMB functionality to modern patches without introducing a ton of bugs because it just takes its old Native 1.143
(I've realised that the archived version linked at the end of the TweakMB release thread is more current than the one on nexusmods - thought I was being clever...But anyway, while the newer version is better synchronised for some functionality, the quest menu configurations still contain wayyy too many outdated references)
conversation.txt file and dumps it into/overwrites your existing one (Native live on Steam is 1.174), and then adds about 50 extra lines of new conversation data in the bottom.
If you have the modified conversation file with the quest selection menu and you want to find where the newly added quest menu lines start, the following text are the first non-vanilla lines:
dlga_lord_choose_mission:lord_choose_mission_2 4095 470 3 1 2 936748722493063370 144115188075855987 2133 2 144115188075856080 72057594037927936 32 2 144115188075856080 -1 I_could_use_your_help_with_the_following. 1353 0 NO_VOICEOVER

But obviously, just the information dumped on the bottom by itself probably won't overwrite the vanilla responses when you ask for a quest. So you'd also have to track down any reference IDs mentioned below the vanilla text, track them down in the vanilla text as reconfigured by TweakMB and see how they're connected, and identify which ones are different from the original vanilla reference IDs, if you want to do the same thing to your own menu - whether that's a mod, or a patched Native game.

Just to be clear, it *does* "work" just to take the complete TweakMB database conversation config file and just run the game with it. It "works" insofar as that you get to see the menu when you talk to an NPC that has quests. But the hybrid of version 1.158 dialogue, code and references introduces lots of bugs in conversations, and chances are it ruins the functionality of quests in the backend, as well.

You could use something like the ComparePlus plugin in Notepad++ to compare all the differences between the unedited config file with the new file, and find the differences associated with getting the selection menu to work (as opposed to just being unrelated version differences - of which there are a ton.) If you isolate those and convert all the changed references to align with the current patch, you might be able to figure out how the menu works and add it.

I'll update if I figure out the relevant reference IDs to get the menu working cleanly on my patch; you'd still have to track down and change the data yourself if you want it to work in a mod module.

Last edited:
Since you necro-ed a thread from when the world was still somewhat sane, I'll just add I always wished that this tool had been updated to the modern version 🤷‍♂️ Although IIRC I only used this tool for two things and that is to change faction colors and to silence companions and it's possible that both of those things can be done in warbender. The whole, I like 1 person and hate 2 people companion circle was, AFAIAC pointless.

Back
Top Bottom