New player questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Flak

Regular
Have never played Mount and Blade, decided to buy Warband during the steam sale. 

What are some general tips/strategies for someone completely new to the series?  I am finding combat very hard to get used to for some reason.
Are any of the factions more newb friendly?
Other then this forum and the steam forum are there any other locations with information pertaining to Warband or is it so similar to the original that info for that games is relevant?  I am having a hard time searching for info on this game other then this forum and the steam forums.

Thanks

Skrujern

Sergeant
M&BWBWF&S
The single player manual would be a good place to start:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,113493.0.html

and Strategy wiki has is a very good source of information.
http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Mount&Blade#Table_of_Contents

But Mount and Blade isn't an easy-to-figure-out game :razz: The best way to learn the game and which strategies works when, as i see it, is to just play play and play. Is incredibly fun and not a game you easily turn your back on. If you have trouble getting used to combat, there are training grounds scattered around the map, where you can train against different difficulty troops. Turning difficulty down, combat speed to slowest, damage to player 1/4 and battle size to low, could also be useful.

I don't know if I would consider any of the factions as a "beginner" faction. Depends on what you're looking for. If you don't want to have to many troops to order around the battlefield you could go with the nords which has no cavalry, or go with swadians or serranids and use only their strong cavalry. If you want to be in a faction that isn't in constant war, the nords seem to be pretty OK in my games. But that would vary though. The swadians in my game usually ends up dominating everyone, or being steamrolled. There's no guarantees.

But it's fun either way. Cleaving an enemy soldiers head with a giant two handed axe from horseback is a good feeling.. :grin:

zimbabwe

Sergeant
WB
Agree with Skrujern - for better or worse it's not designed to be an easy game to get started in. Either you love that or hate it. If you stick with it you'll love it :smile:

My personal approach when I started the game (after getting curb stomped by the tutorial and then several bandit parties) was to go to the nearest town and fight in the arena for like 4 real life hours until I got the combat system more or less figured out. After that I was ready to start with the actual game, although I've never quite got the "bum bum bum BUM" of the arena music out of my head.

As for easy factions to start with, go with Swadians. Their bandit parties aren't overly nasty and their territory is very easy to maneuver around in in the world map. Every other faction has brutal-learning-curve bandits, a map with a lot of odd obstacles, or both.

Dayve

Regular
First of all, don't play on "Realistic, no quitting without saving" on your first try. That's a fast way to shelving the game, and it would be a shame to shelve this wonderful game.

Go to a training camp on the map and he will let you train in combat with all types of weapons, sword shield, 2h sword, bow, crossbow and horse. Practice here until you get the hang of it. Alternatively you can go to the arena in any city (they're closed from evening until early morning, and talk to the arena master and when he talks about the fights (not a tournament yet!) say "Good, that's what I'm going to do). This will put you in the arena with a random weapon to do nothing but fight. If you get knocked out, no matter! just go right back in and try again. If you don't like the weapon you get, you can pick up some dead guys weapon.

Lastly, just practice against looters. You'll figure out your own combat techniques. Don't try to fight on foot. Save that for later.

Schemer

If you're new, start with the Swadians, Sarranids, or Vaegirs. They have cavalry, and cavalry makes for the best troops. A group of 100 mamlukes or knights can take on nearly anything. You'll probably want to avoid Rhodoks and Nords for a little while, since infantry is arguably much harder to use, and that's all they've got. Remember that you can always change faction in the middle of the game. High relation with the king is good if you plan on it, since removing your vassal status minuses 20 relation from the king.

I generally start off by traveling the countryside while doing tournaments. Tournaments are an easy way to learn combat while racking up renown, and combat skill as well as renown are very important.

Hidziro

Recruit
Dont wanted to create new theme so here the question: can somebody give me link where to download mod where you can buld a small fort for defence?

Occam

Sergeant
The arena can be a good way to learn how the fighting in M&B works but it can also be a bit frustrating to a brand new player since you are new plus your characters proficiencies are low so you swing slow and hit weak. Use the Options menu to turn all the damage/difficulty settings down if you are going to go into the arena right off the bat and don't stay there so long that you get bored or frustrated. Combat in the field isn't that much like combat in the arena, you can be good in the field even if you suck in the arena.

You don't need to join a faction right away but you do need to build your personal army/band of followers right away. Mercenaries can be hired in taverns in towns but they are expensive. Recruiting in villages is better.

When I first start a game I usually go to the nearest villages and get 5 to 10 recruits then I take them to a training ground and spar with them until they have all been upgraded at least once. Now you can go back to the tavern in the town you started in and do the quest the merchant gave you at the very beginning.

I like to keep my party size between 20 and 30 while I am leveling and gearing up. This is big enough to take on any bandits you encounter while keeping wages down.

Parties made of all cavalry move faster on the map than ones with infantry. This helps for chasing bandits. Smaller parties move faster than slower parties.

Manhunters can be hired when you kill the bandits that have them as prisoners and they upgrade to quite good heavy cavalry units that do not cost too much.
My typical party when I am leveling (before joining faction) is 8 companions and 10-15 slavers (upgrade from manhunter). One bonus is that slavers use blunt weapons so they will get you a lot of prisoners to sell for cash.

Information about companions can be found here http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,36781.0.html

It is easiest to start in Praven, Jelkala, or Shariz because you don't have to deal with sea raiders or mounted bandits right away (as long as you head north rather than east out of Shariz).

Dayve

Regular
He has a point. You could recruit a set of companions. I think the best for a newbie is as follows. Jeremus for his high starting surgery, Borcha for path finding and spotting, Lezalit for high trainer skill, and with these 3 you can also recruit Marnid, Firentis and Rolf without any arguments developing between them. As they level up, make sure they all have at least 9 STR and AGI, and put a lot of their points in to trainer so that they all have 3 or 4. This way you can recruit 20 soldiers, and overnight all or most of them will upgrade to militia due to the high trainer skills. Now, in battle, do the following. When battle starts, tell everyone to hold position. Stand closer x2. You stay back, you're the general. When the enemy is close, tell everyone to charge. When they're fighting, gallop around the action picking off enemies that are otherwise engaged. Also pick off any enemies running away.

In doing this you'll build up good trained soldiers and gain plenty of experience. When you feel confident you can swing and hit 100% of the time, you can try out some more bold actions, like going in first and picking off a few of the enemies from horseback on your own, then gallopping back behind your lines and letting your infantry charge, as usual, into their now thinned out ranks. Or, a little more advanced, when fighting sea raiders, you can go in first on a fast horse, get the sea raiders' attention so they deplete all their throwing weapon ammunition against YOU, and miss because you're so fast, and pick off all their archers, giving your infantry an easier time.

You can always save before every battle and quit-load if you're unsatisfied with the results.

lovestofeast

Sergeant at Arms
I wouldn't join Swadia if I were you. They tend to get dogpiled by the other factions. Join a faction that has a natural border; that way you don't feel like you're fending off attackers left and right.

I think bandit activity in a faction is actually good for a beginner, with the exception of Vaegirs and their Sea raiders AND tundra bandits. You should fight bandits until you're ready to participate in faction war. This doesn't apply to Sea Raders up north though, because they might be too tough for a beginner. Vaegirs have two groups of bandits in their territory, so you may want to avoid them.

Hidziro, are you sure you're talking about an existing mod? You can own a fort and defend it from attackers, but I'm not sure you can just create a fort out of the blue.

Rephikul

Regular
Joining swadia has the massive benefit of rapid right to rule gain due to constant waring. Once your character is competent enough to fend off attacks, has high surgery and hopefully has a garrisonable fief s/he has the potential of getting more good prisoners to recruit then losing units. Meanwhile, constant fighting and releasing desirable lords also have very positive effect on lord relationship which help alot when you choose to set up your kingdom later.

The exceeding arrow

Knight at Arms
NW
Hidziro said:
Dont wanted to create new theme so here the question: can somebody give me link where to download mod where you can buld a small fort for defence?
there is only 1 mod i can think of and that would be the entrenchment mod (don't know if i spelled it wrong)
it allows the player to set up a fortified position when the player is resting in he's own camp.

lovestofeast

Sergeant at Arms
Rephikul said:
Joining swadia has the massive benefit of rapid right to rule gain due to constant waring. Once your character is competent enough to fend off attacks, has high surgery and hopefully has a garrisonable fief s/he has the potential of getting more good prisoners to recruit then losing units. Meanwhile, constant fighting and releasing desirable lords also have very positive effect on lord relationship which help alot when you choose to set up your kingdom later.

What you've just described is the best path for an experienced warband player, not a beginner. An experienced warband player would want fast right to rule gain to get right into kingdom making. Why would you suggest an inexperienced player plan his character around making a kingdom when he has yet to master the basics?

And constant fighting is a drain on finances, which can make an inexperienced player bankrupt. A newbie doesn't know the best trade routes, etc.  You can easily gain relationship points with lords by doing jobs for them in peacetime or war. Your advice makes sense for the experienced player who is already good at combat and is eager to start a kingdom. I guess if OP is already those two things then its good adgvice.

Turbodave222

Recruit
Also a new player since 2 days, and i LOVE the game so far  :mrgreen:

This game has so much potential, allthough its already very good imo.

But i have some questions i just dont seem to figure out...

Can i give some of my loot to my soldiers? for example horses that i looted from the steppe bandits.

And i see in different topics people talk about training your companions. But when i click on their profile, i cant distribute skillpoints to f.e. tactics or looting or something. How do i train my companions then?

Thx in advance

(i'm at work, and i cant wait to go home to play again xD)

Geroro

Veteran
There are regular soldiers, and companions,Heroes that are in your army and cannot die just like yourself.You cant give equipment to regular soldiers,but you can equip companions.You can hire companions in city taverns,but they are not always in the same tavern,they travel.You cant train regular troops too,but companions gain levels like you and you can distribute points to them.

Turbodave222 said:

Can i give some of my loot to my soldiers? for example horses that i looted from the steppe bandits.

And i see in different topics people talk about training your companions. But when i click on their profile, i cant distribute skillpoints to f.e. tactics or looting or something. How do i train my companions then?

Thx in advance

When people speak about companions, they mean those individuals with names, like Marnid or Nizar, not run-of -the-mill generic footman or archers. Companions show up in taverns inside cities and they all have a story to tell.

gnawid

Regular
Turbodave222 said:

Thx in advance

No, you can't. However, everytime a soldier tiers up, their equipment automatically gets better. The max tier soldiers have armor worth thousands of denars. Those horses you looted can be kept in your inventory to increase your map moving speed if your inventory is filled with items.

To let your companions gain skills and such, they must level up. In order for them to level up, they must fight in battles and actually kill a few soldiers themselves.

Top Bottom