New player looking for info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Hoping there might be some web source with information on the differences between native and lords and realms. I read the Info page but I was hoping for a more specific source(such as a wiki). I know this is player made and maintained mod, so my desires are tempered by the knowledge of the vast allocation of time and resources to create such a page, so I know it's a long shot.

It's been a while since I tried it, but my impressions were mixed.  A lot of the mod-added gear was well done, and it seemed like a positive thing, but once I started trying to fight, it became clear that the mod-added content was all light-years above the vanilla stuff, and the vanilla gear was essentially irrelevant.  When you've got a high-end bow and the draw strength to use it, and after about 5 shots that hit you've done a total of 2 points of damage, then they kill you with one swipe, you begin to realize that you've got to play it the sword and lance way, and forget about horse archery, or foot archery/polearms and slower paced "stand-off" play.  With my own slow reactions (not getting any younger), that didn't go well.  If you're into fast melee combat, it might be a good mod, but I can't play it.

Lately I'm enjoying the historical sub-mod for 1257: "1257 AD Middle Europe" (downloaded from Nexus).  The map is mind-boggling in size (I'm around 120 days into a campaign, and still haven't even found one faction's territory), with some very nice authentic armor and heraldry.  It feels more like playing within a country or along a border between several, not stuck a small isolated county-sized valley.

Yeah my impression of the game at the start was this is awesome. Then I got ambushed by 5 groups of 20+ outlaws with my 35 man army which went incredibly bad. Lance targeting got harder, damage output is almost gone, everyone's rocking 12ft polearms and chain armor. It's almost impossible. I managed the first 3 groups...Losing all my regular sdiers, and only having my 4 companions for the last fight went terribly. I also noticed most of the "new" gear and mounts are all mid-end game requirements to use, unless you spec for just combat. I love the looks and the siege improvements make me interested, but idk how to get to that level without cheating or importing(cheating imo). I'll have to try 1257, I was originally looking for a medieval Europe mod when I found lords and realms.

The normal 1257 AD mod is set in Calradia, with the "usual" factions.  The 1257 AD Middle Europe sub-mod (there's a thread for it a ways down the 1257 mod forum, and M&B Nexus still has the download)  uses historical factions (Austria, Russia, Poland, Hungary, Bohemia) on a ginormous map (loosely based in reality).

The main reason to play Lords and Realms would be the kingdom management aspect.  Several other mods have incorporated those same kingdom features:

Sword of Damocles goes a step further yet, including laws that affect taxes and relations with different "classes" within your kingdom, and requires certain buildings to advance some troop types.  Once again, the vanilla content is mostly eclipsed by the mod content, and gaining that first castle to upgrade your troops can be extremely situational and luck-dependent.  Until then, you're stuck using mostly bottom-rung fodder, and trying to find faction castles where they will allow you to upgrade one or two specific troops types.  There's one nasty bug that almost inevitably results in every other faction eventually declaring war on you, since Universities, which are supposed to gradually remove your bad reputation due to taking castles and towns, end up increasing it instead.  After a while, the AI builds Universities in its towns, so if/when you take more than 1 or 2 of them, you become increasingly hated by all.  I've never gotten past that point, and the mod is essentially long dead, so no fix is ever likely.

The Eagle and the Wolves is set in Arthurian Britain, and allows you to run your own kingdom.  Balance is somewhere between vanilla and those "uber" mods.  I've played it quite a bit, and my main gripe is that the Roman remnant has intentionally been short-changed with sub-par units, even at the top tier (historically, the "soft" Romans took a bit more work to "harden" into battle-worthy troops, but once that was done, they were every bit as effective as their competitors).

Custom Settlements allows you to build up your own settlement from an empty plot of land (in pre-placed locations), but the mod is still very unfinished; good idea, but only semi-playable.  For instance, about half of the settlement locations are named "Emp-something-or-other", like Emptoor, Empstead, Emp43, etc.  That "EMP" beginning means that it has not been completed, and isn't playable (some will crash the game, or leave you and your army stuck at the edge of the map).

Star Wars Conquest includes some kingdom features, and if you haven't tried it, it's worth checking out, if for no other reason than to see just how much can be done with the M&B engine.  It's a pretty impressive overhaul, yet a lot of the basic M&B functions are still recognizable "under the hood" (Speeder bikes are massively reskinned "horses", force powers are handled as "weapons" and "shields", movement on the map and various party skills can be "enhanced" by buying different ships, etc.).  The dialog still has some very out-of-place remnants as well (I actually spent the better part of a couple weekends altering some of them, with mixed success).

Back
Top Bottom