New Order of Battle system is immersion breaking for me

Users who are viewing this thread

The new OoB system is kind of ruining my experience a bit, I have to say. I have read thread after thread trying to figure out how to get my companions into the archer formation - they all have nothing else in their inventory than a bow and some arrows, and without fail they continue to move with the infantry. It is absolutely baffling and quite frustrating.

Another thing that gets on my nerves about this system is the fact that I’m no military tactician. I don’t know what the f*** to do with 5 or 6 different troop groups. I’ll be honest I just want my cavalry, archers and infantry. That is how the game is most fun for me. Please taleworlds, let me pick my troop groups from the party menu again. It would make me a very happy lad.

Not only you. The battle slider group feature since 1.7 for me is one of the biggest crap in the game. I think we have to wait for a mod to help, once there was one but it currently doesn't work.

Not only you. The battle slider group feature since 1.7 for me is one of the biggest crap in the game. I think we have to wait for a mod to help, once there was one but it currently doesn't work.
I have no idea why they would do this and remove the old system as well. I foolishly bought the game on console for some reason so it looks like I’m stuck like this forever

I agree. New system would be pretty nice combined with the old but we unfortunately are not intelligent enough in TWs eyes to choose exactly who we want in what formation.

They removed the old feature for this? What were they thinking?! Why not just figure out how to combine the two? I'm so glad I haven't wasted precious internet downloading the latest update just to find out how this feature worked (as I had considered doing!). :facepalm:

I really hope they add the ability to assign companions and troops to formations in the party screen again. I don't get why we can't have the Order of Battle system as well as the party screen formations

I really hope they add the ability to assign companions and troops to formations in the party screen again. I don't get why we can't have the Order of Battle system as well as the party screen formations

I really miss those formations.. I like the OoB, dont get me wrong. But I really miss having some elite troops as my personal bodyguards while I charge for the enemy commander.

When you give your companions a horse or a bow/crossbow, they should automatically go into the proper category. Anything else sounds like a bug to me. At least that happened in earlier versions, but I have also noticed that companions on horse is in infantry if they did not spawn with a horse. So it's currently probably bugged.

The order of battle system is a major improvement to the game. It is very flexible and allows for multiple formations of the same unit type if you, like me, want a bodyguard with heavy armored infantry alongside your main battle line.

I could not have done what I want to do with the old system.

I really miss those formations.. I like the OoB, dont get me wrong. But I really miss having some elite troops as my personal bodyguards while I charge for the enemy commander.
You can still do this, if you want infantry, just put a small group over in group six or eight, assing them to be infantry or cav or whatever you want, and then make sure there is a preference for heavy armor. Voila! You got your heavy armored bodyguard.

The only negative I can think of is during sieges, this is harder to do since everything is prearranged. You would need to take units from one of the already fixed groups.

The new system has advantages. For example who is able to make a group of infantry with spears and shields and a different group with javelins and shields, for flanking, immediately gets an advanced degree from any university in my country. It's fantastic.

The new system is simply horrible for any dedicated player of the game. Sure. If i put all my T5 imperal legionaries by a button press in the same formation... yeah. Then they are in that formation and cannot split them before the battle starts but.... I still can just press a couple of numbered f buttons and split half of them into a empty group and now I have two groups of perfektly fine only legionaries that guard two diffrent directions possibly so horse enemies are blocked off. Also. I put cav as slot 1 and 2. Because they are the easiest to press and i often have to order my cav around. Congratulations. Now both sides have 2000 troops and every single infantry unit spawns into group 2 as reinforcments and every reinforcment archer spawns into group 2. Ignoring percentages on whatever the frick else in the formations so god only knows how to keep an actualy TACTIC order in a battle. Nope. Impossible. Especially since in some formations... the cav will actually slow down their movement sped to match the foot troops unless you press f 1 f3 which is once again, just a mass slaughter simulator. Please. Bring the old system back.

The new system has advantages. For example who is able to make a group of infantry with spears and shields and a different group with javelins and shields, for flanking, immediately gets an advanced degree from any university in my country. It's fantastic.
You could do this before by assigning spear infantry units to formation 1 and javelin infantry units to formation 2. There's nothing the OoB system does that you couldn't do before: you used to be able to split formations mid battle, so you could even have 2 formations with the same type of troops. Now you can't split mid battle, only at the start. So there's really no benefit I see that makes up for how much of a huge pain in the ass it is to have to juggle my companions around into the correct formation before every battle, or trying to use modded troops at all.

It's not like the new system needs to go, but we desperately need the partyscreen funcitonality back.

The new OoB system is kind of ruining my experience a bit, I have to say. I have read thread after thread trying to figure out how to get my companions into the archer formation - they all have nothing else in their inventory than a bow and some arrows, and without fail they continue to move with the infantry. It is absolutely baffling and quite frustrating.

Another thing that gets on my nerves about this system is the fact that I’m no military tactician. I don’t know what the f*** to do with 5 or 6 different troop groups. I’ll be honest I just want my cavalry, archers and infantry. That is how the game is most fun for me. Please taleworlds, let me pick my troop groups from the party menu again. It would make me a very happy lad.
Sad thing is they could probably easily fix this by implementing something similar to the menu you get when attacking a bandit hideout. Lose the silly filters that aren't that helpful and just let the player assign appropriate units to a group. If nothing else at least add a damn troop tier filter so I can put my newbs and veterans into separate formations again.

M0iLtSG.png

I'm not sure what folks are doing they end up with companions in the wrong groups. I'm guessing companions are primarily assigned by their skill and or whether they have a horse. Honestly unless they are a Formation Captain what does it matter any way? If you aren't using them for combat bonuses then you better be for party bonuses, otherwise absolute waste.

Sad thing is they could probably easily fix this by implementing something similar to the menu you get when attacking a bandit hideout. Lose the silly filters that aren't that helpful and just let the player assign appropriate units to a group. If nothing else at least add a damn troop tier filter so I can put my newbs and veterans into separate formations again.

M0iLtSG.png

I'm not sure what folks are doing they end up with companions in the wrong groups. I'm guessing companions are primarily assigned by their skill and or whether they have a horse. Honestly unless they are a Formation Captain what does it matter any way? If you aren't using them for combat bonuses then you better be for party bonuses, otherwise absolute waste.
This 100% plus make the game remember the last choices. Unless there has been a change in the party composition, I shouldn't have to tweak the formations all the time, only where to position them on the map, unless I actually want to do things differently.

They seem happy that it solved some problems they had, with programming the AI behavior. So I doubt we ever get a strategy game worthy battle system or party panel for that matter.

I used to pick up specific units for specific jobs, but that is all gone now.

Its just one big fast food operation.

I agree that this is an extremely annoying change, the one major disappointment in the game for me.

I've returned to the full release after a long break and find the group assignment system over-complex and under-featured (and frankly broken, unless the features I want are hidden under the complexity). I'm doing a "train the village recruits" mission; previously I'd have made a group called Recruits that could be handled appropriately to the mission goal, now they're mixed among the rest of the low-tier infantry with no obvious way to keep them safe.

I suppose all we can hope for is a mod to fix this, but then from what Agroplode wrote above, if the AI relies on the implemented system (i.e. can't cope with player-assigned formations) then a mod might make things worse.

Last edited:
We have relayed the feedback, but is there anything specific you would like to point out?
Please add more tags to the OOB system to make it useful. Add tags AT LEAST for crossbow, shock infantry (2H weapon or Swinging Polearm) and Pikemen. One unit I have trouble differentiating in OOB is the Battanian Wildling, who are the only proper "foot skirmisher" troop in the game. I think that TW could maybe think about adding an easier way of selecting them, or possibly removing throwables from other T5 Battanian foot troops (which would probably help the Vet Falxmen & Oatsworn if I'm being honest) or maybe removing throwables from the oathsworn and giving the Vet Falxmen 2 stacks of better throwing weapons so that Battania has 2 skirmish infantry, 1 with shield and 1 "shock skirmisher".

Back
Top Bottom