NEW MOD: Magic World for 1.011 Updated january 23th

Users who are viewing this thread

gamecubetoby said:
Went to sargoth wizard, how to give him the cash? He just tells me not to disturb him.

Pode is right. I'm not sure EXACTLY what needs to be done, but I believe you need a high enough fireball/mage rank (probably master fireball and primary mage) to get guy to talk to you. Otherwise he will just say Don't Bother Me.

I'm working on figuring out the txt and stuff for mana regen and leveling your mage abilities so I can understand the mod more. Hopefully I'll be able to pull of some of the amazing things TML did. :smile:

:idea: You know what would be cool? Since you have mana and AI doesn't, I think it would be better to to have the mana regen much like Nightcaster (I know it wasn't a very good game for the xbox) but it would make me want to be a mage more (since right now, the lack of mana regen and the lack of potions available make me just be a normal hero and the AI has unlimited mana which I think is a bit unfair. 30 mages can take out an entire castle of 150. it was ridiculous). But Nightcaster had a series of bubbles that regenerated pretty quickly (about a bubble every 3 seconds) and as you leveled up, you got more bubbles. As your spells leveled up (the originally only take one or two bubble to cast), they would start to cost 2-3 bubbles for simple spells but up to 5-6 bubbles for the powerful complicated ones. Not a very large cast time, but the high mana cost required a lot of time, which usually got you killed. It would be fun to do something like this for a magic mod. Unfortunately the last 3 times I tried to get Python and modding stuff to work, it wouldn't on my computer. No idea why, but python will not open on my comp. :cry:

This mod is really quite good, even with the various bugs and broken english. I do very much enjoy looking for each mage master and fumbling with the keys to change and cast the different spells during combat. It seems, however, that I have encountered a bug. I recently learned the wave skill, but when I try to use fireball again, the animation starts out as fireball and then quickly reverts to the wave spell. Does anyone know how to solve this? I'm not very good with python, or any coding at all really. Thanks in advance.

Alright I'm back and I bring you a numbers game!
I dug through the files and uncovered some great numbers for you guys to motivate you for leveling!

BTW, just to properly cite my data and check my numbers, I found all of this in the source using Notepad++. Opened the file "module_scripts.py". The information starts on line 20807.

Titles & Bonuses
Level              Title            Bonus Mana Regen
  1              Novice                    +0
  4            Apprentice                +1
  7              Primary                  +2
  10          Intermediate              +3
  13        High Level Mage            +4
  16              Mage?                  +6
  19              Veteran                  +8
  22              Expert                  +10
  25              Master                  +15
  31              God                      +25

I'm working on figuring out how many casts it takes to move up a level. I'll let you know when I do.

Wands & Bonuses
Wand                Bonus to Mana Regen
Black Stick                    +1
Red Stick                      +2
Dark Wand                    +3
Red Wand                    +5
Dark Shadow Scepter    +10
Red Kindle Scepter        +20

As you can see now there is great temptation to keep the Red Kindle Scepter. But keeping it mean no Sandstorm so its quite the dilemma)

Spell Upgrading and Information
Mana%20Costs.jpg

Just so there are no questions: Take fireball for example. You have to cast it 100 times to level to Journeyman Fireball but to level to Master it requires an ADDITIONAL 200. Apparently it sets the number back to 0 when you level because it considers it a new spell. So it actually takes 300 casts to Master.

Hopefully that helps a bit for information and answered some questions. Pardon the crappy formatting. I'm thinking about editing the mod so the mana regen is much higher, but the high levels take much more casting to obtain. High spells will cost so much mana that you will need to BE a super high level mage to pull off the mana cost so no worries there. The only problem with doing this is it makes maxed out mages nearly unstoppable.... but it will be a beast to get to that level and if you get there you deserve it (you'll probably have conquered the map by then so it will just be rebelling and creating your own faction by then)

I don't know if tis is just me but when i cast fireball it casts wave instead. Weird? It works fine but when i get that wave spell it just makes a fireball but goes into a wave.

m4a4 said:
i cant read what i am using  :neutral:

Just look at the pictures... Or learn Chinese. Your choice.

Does anyone know what rank I have to reach in order to talk to the Narra magician?
I am currently a Primary Magician, with high rank in Fireball, middle rank in the wave spell, basic level in the searing ray, and middle rank in the cure spell.

SamuraiVelez said:
This mod is really quite good, even with the various bugs and broken english. I do very much enjoy looking for each mage master and fumbling with the keys to change and cast the different spells during combat. It seems, however, that I have encountered a bug. I recently learned the wave skill, but when I try to use fireball again, the animation starts out as fireball and then quickly reverts to the wave spell. Does anyone know how to solve this? I'm not very good with python, or any coding at all really. Thanks in advance.

Hmm, I've never gotten that bug before. You know that 6 is the menu for fire spells and 7 is the menu for water spells, right?

Press E to open up your list of spells in the current menu, press T to cycle, and use the left click to select the highlighted spell.

Also: Bug - Cat's grace is a permanent agility boost, it's supposed to only be temporary.

Adalonus, Fei Dao, or others who have looked at the source code: Have you determined what it takes to get Cat's Grace and Bull's Strength?  Is it level based so one character can have both, or is it background based during character creation?  If the latter, what background choice gives which one?

Fei Dao said:
Does anyone know what rank I have to reach in order to talk to the Narra magician?
I am currently a Primary Magician, with high rank in Fireball, middle rank in the wave spell, basic level in the searing ray, and middle rank in the cure spell.

The Narra wizard requires no previous rank in Titles or in Spells. It seems he requires you to have an actual item in your inventory i believe it is the Mysterious Medal that is an heirloom to his clan or something

Here's the actual script. Tilgar is in bold red, You are in Bold Italics, and requirement is in blue. "itm_qijixunzhang" is the mysterious medal.
# Tilgar DIALOGS BEGIN

[anyone|plyr,"start", [(eq, "$g_talk_troop", "trp_Tilgar"),(player_has_item,"itm_qijixunzhang"),(eq,"$can_trigger",0)], "Hey! Are you still ignoring me?", "xueqita1",[]],
[anyone,"xueqita1", [], "... Wait! I sense something belongs to my clan on you! Hand it to me!", "xueqita2",[]],
[anyone|plyr,"xueqita2", [], "What? Oh, I got a mysterious medal recently... Is this it?", "xueqita3",[]],
[anyone,"xueqita3", [], "Ah! That's it! It's one of the three lost treasures of my clan! Can... Can you return it to me? A long time ago, one of my servant thought it was junk and discarded it... ", "xueqita4",[]],

Pode said:
Adalonus, Fei Dao, or others who have looked at the source code: Have you determined what it takes to get Cat's Grace and Bull's Strength?  Is it level based so one character can have both, or is it background based during character creation?  If the latter, what background choice gives which one?

Horazon's (the support magic mage who teaches Cat's Grace and Bull's Strength) conversation txt is very confusing as it is meshed together. There are three instances where he starts a conversation. The first is where you find him and he says "Hey you found me!". The second is him talking about you mastering cure and it scans for that along with the title "intermediate mage". Now the third which is interesting scans for High Level Mage which doesn't fit into the script of other spells he teaches. He start this conversation with "Hey its been a while" and a line below that he says "I can teach you bull's strength". So I believe the requirement for Bulls Strength is for you to be a high level mage. This makes it quite a dilemma. Put point in strength that will be pretty much wasted later because you get a spell, wait for the spell and sacrifice your strength.

For those of you guys who are complaining about Brennor not responding to you, You need to be a primary mage before he will speak to you. He'll give you Searing Ray for 3500 denars and when you master it + reach High Level Mage, you can get wall of fire. He seems to be the most important mage as he give you the most spells and the red scepter.

I'm currently trying to mod this mod (as I'm just learning how to do it) to get rid of potions by increasing mana regen. This will also make you more formidable to other mages as they don't seem to have any mana restrictions. I've successfully changed the mana regen, but I think I made it too high (pretty much just multiplied the bonuses by 3). This makes me pretty strong and I'm able to kill atleast 20-30 sea raiders before i run out of mana. So i'm thinking of restricting party size or decreasing damage of the spells to make it more balanced. I've pulled off Intermediate Mage and Master Fireball/Searing Ray with Journeyman Cure, so I'll let you guys know when I'm able to unlock the other spells and I can confirm the mage locations and requirements.

On day one a wand of +3 mana regen instead of the starting +1 spawned in the second store I visited.  I lusted after it so greatly that I cheated my way into buying it.  :oops:  So I have also played at least the low levels with 3X mana regeneration, on fairly easy settings as I learned my way around the mod.  I found that pretty well to my liking, I was able to solo sea raiders in the teens with the occasional potion or two, the key was running faster than they could chase while mana recharged and keeping a good sword and board combo.  Haven't faced an AI mage yet, and sold my cheater wand for a more appropriate one once I got on my feet, so I may be back with different feedback later.  Currently I'm a level 8 mage IIRC and running with a +5 regen wand, and am able to solo most non-army parties without potions.  FWIW.

Thanks very much for the advice on Bull's Strength.  I think I'll keep my 12 to allow all armors and save the ironflesh for later once I get the spell.  That way I'll level up Cure faster  :roll:

Curious how you ID which wizard is which, I only glanced at the dialogs, but it seemed to me like there were 10 different names, none of which were the names of the wizards in game

Cheesy sploit warning:  Wave is brutal against mounted enemies who've gotten stuck along a map edge.  Weak, I know, but for once I can travel Khergit lands alone without fearing for my life.

Pode said:
On day one a wand of +3 mana regen instead of the starting +1 spawned in the second store I visited.  I lusted after it so greatly that I cheated my way into buying it.   :oops:  So I have also played at least the low levels with 3X mana regeneration, on fairly easy settings as I learned my way around the mod.  I found that pretty well to my liking, I was able to solo sea raiders in the teens with the occasional potion or two, the key was running faster than they could chase while mana recharged and keeping a good sword and board combo.  Haven't faced an AI mage yet, and sold my cheater wand for a more appropriate one once I got on my feet, so I may be back with different feedback later.  Currently I'm a level 8 mage IIRC and running with a +5 regen wand, and am able to solo most non-army parties without potions.  FWIW.

Thanks very much for the advice on Bull's Strength.  I think I'll keep my 12 to allow all armors and save the ironflesh for later once I get the spell.  That way I'll level up Cure faster  :roll:

Curious how you ID which wizard is which, I only glanced at the dialogs, but it seemed to me like there were 10 different names, none of which were the names of the wizards in game

Cheesy sploit warning:  Wave is brutal against mounted enemies who've gotten stuck along a map edge.  Weak, I know, but for once I can travel Khergit lands alone without fearing for my life.

It is nice to have the extra mana regen and wands aren't impossible to find, their abundance is just really low. Black Sticks are only at 40 (most items are at 100) and each level up on a wand is dropped by 10 abundance so the good ones are rare. They also drop randomly when fighting mages.

I reached High Level Mage... Horazon still won't teach me bull's strength so I dont know what to do. Its going to take some serious digging. The scripts are hard to understand sometimes are who they are talking about, but if you look at their speech patterns you can figure it out as they are pretty stereotypical to their clans/personality (ex: Narra wizard constantly talks about his clan, Saragoth mage is a gambler, Jalkala mage is a drunk... etc).

The most awesome spells so far are the wall of fire and the ice storm spells. They do massive AoE and just dominate large groups. When you're high enough level, you can cast about 10 times. It demolishes archers and infantry. My entire army is mages and archers, while I run up just casting wall of fire to distract and damage. my army of 50 takes out armies of 150+ easily using these tactics (a couple of cures). I haven't used the water spells much yet and I still haven't found any of the special clan items (mysterious metals) so I havent seen fire shroud or tsunami (summon undead brings forth about 8 undead warriors.. great meat shields/distractions. pretty strong too). I'm currently trying to master Wall of fire, but I made the spells take longer to master because I gave myself better mana regen. That way I don't dominate too quickly.

for some reason my download wont finish, it always automatically ends when it reaches 334kb...

It seems this mod does take a lot of it's spells from Mirathei's Curtain of Fire mod.

The potion and mana interface and the magic leveling system is certainly new though.

gamecubetoby said:
How to get searing ray spell?

read the whole 5pages, you can easily locate all availabe spells than just asking another question after the first question is answered

gamecubetoby said:

It was one of my posts on the bottom of page 4. Go there for the nice looking format, but you get it from Brennor (Praven wizard) when you reach primary magician rank and give him 3500 denars.

adalonus said:
gamecubetoby said:

It was one of my posts on the bottom of page 4. Go there for the nice looking format, but you get it from Brennor (Praven wizard) when you reach primary magician rank and give him 3500 denars.

Thanks.

Just wanted to say how devilishly fun it was to throw waves up the ladder into the mob during a castle siege and watch the carnage :twisted:  I love this mod

Back
Top Bottom