SP Medieval New Mod: “Europa - 1300 AD” (Updates, see page 39+40)

Should I change the direction of the mod (see page 19 for details)?

• Go for it and God speed!

Votes: 26 63.4%
  • What the hell were you thinking? Shut up and get back to work!

Votes: 15 36.6%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Sir_Viriato said:
O Reino de Portugal (Kingdom of Portugal) was ruled in 1300 by the King D.Diniz: http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ficheiro:grin:inis-P.jpg

The queen was: D. Isabel of Aragon: http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ficheiro:Rainha_Santa_Isabel_-_D._Dinis.jpg

The lords or generals were, besides the king, mainly their sons, legitimate and illegitimate:

Crown Prince: D. Afonso; Well i think that we can say that in Portugal "Lord" can be translated to "Dom" which most often is shortened to "D." Portuguese royal heirs where also called "Infante" someting like royal son; Infante D. Afonso could be more accurate. http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ficheiro:AfonsoIV-P.jpg

The only bastard legitimated: D. Afonso Sanches

Bastard son: D. João Afonso (Grand Master of the Order of Aviz)

Grand Master of Tempars Order in Portugal: Grão Vasco Fernandes; The native name was Vasco Fernandes, but he were most  known as Grão Vasco (Grão=Grand; obviously related to the position in the order)

The portuguese royal flag at 1300 was: http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ficheiro:razz:ortugueseFlag1248.svg

600px-PortugueseFlag1248.svg.png

Thank you for the information.  The lords will certainly come in handy.  I'm not sure that the Templars will be included for Portugal, only because that would necessitate incorporating them for the French and other kingdoms as well.

As for translations, I'm thinking only some of the troops will have translated names, and others will not. 

Cèsar de Quart said:
Good to know, Portugal has always been a great unknown for me.

Lately has been released, coinciding with Saint George's day, also patron saint of Catalonia and Aragon, a book called "the armies of Jaume I", a very well documented book with extensive image factor. For instance:

porto_pi.jpg

The knight with the golden "spots" (bezants) on red field is Guillem Ramon de Montcada, who is about to die at the battle of Portopí, in Mallorca, year 1229, while king Jaume was charging the moorish troops. He'd eventually take the island and then Valencia. There's a movie coming out soon, with Tim Roth as king Pere the Catholic, father of Jaume the Conqueror.

Well, take care, and let's wait for the release.

Great image there; I will certainly be looking at that when starting to design Argonese uniforms. 

Fiskerlord said:
yep lets just wait for the release.. BUT I CAN'T wait... this mod stands out in some way I cant say.. its just looks compleate.. like lotr mod and the last days, sea dogs and alot others.. (no bad agianst the other mod's) but yes this is worth waiting for,.. I hope :smile:

God speed m8

I thank you for the compliment.  I will do my best to make it worth the wait, but I can promise it won't be your typical pure OSP items with Native renamed kind of mod. 

Sam Gillis said:
hey man this mod looks very promising
but i was wondering since your mod is based around 1300 is there any change you are going to add flanders

Excellent question.  Flanders has always been one of my major fascinations with the year 1300, and I think in central Europe it's one of the most important subjects. 

Flanders qualifies as a small kingdom, but it's the small kingdom I want to add the most.  As I said a while ago, though, adding one small kingdom would open up the debate to add more, and which ones "deserve" to be represented. 

I've decided that for its current release, it would not be a playable faction.  However, Flanders will be represented in two of the playable historical battles that will be included in the mod. 

tommmy said:
hello,
I was just having a look at this very interesting mod when I saw the poll. The details of it should have been on the page 19. I haven't found them. But, anyway, I found a debate regarding Moravia and its territory and influences and so on...

They are on page 19, just towards the bottom.  It's near the bottom third of the page, Response #282, if I'm not mistaken.  That should give you the details you were looking for. 

tommmy said:
Ottis said:
The Kingdom of Bohemia was twice as big. It included Moravia, Chebsko and Lausitz and that time as well!
But yeah your point that Teutonic Order was huge is correct.
Ottis said:
Barry_bon_Loyale said:
According to what I read, the majority of Moravia went under the influence of the Kingdom of Hungary (which is included in the mod).  The former Great Moravia was divided among Bohemia, Poland, with the majority going to the Kingdom of Hungary. 

Again, that is the size of Bohemia according to EurAtlas, which has been my source.  It may not be a perfect map, but so far it's been the most accurate and reliable source I've found. 
What the... Great Moravia ended in 900, we're talking about 1300 which is 400 years later. Moravia at that time was one of the parts of the Bohemian Kingdom. I have no idea what you mean by the division. Nothing like this happened and Moravia was NO WAY by any kind of influence of Hungary.

Most of what was said is indeed correct. There was a kingdom of Great Moravia which vanished after the arrival of Hungarian tribes in the 10th century. Also a part of this kingdom (current Slovakia and a part of Ukraine) was incorporated into the forming kingdom of Hungary during the 11th and the 12th century. From this point of view, yes, the Slavonic tribes were of influence for the forming Kingdom of Hungary. On the other side nothing like division of Great Moravia ever happened. The kingdom of Great Moravia ceased to exist mostly due to the riots following the death of the last king and uncertain line of succession along with the arrival of the aggressive nomadic Hungarian tribes and the troubles with always problematic western borders with what would become The Holy Roman Empire.

And the term 'Moravia' is referring to a part of the Lands of the Bohemian Crown (Bohemian Kingdom, Duchy of Moravia and Silesia) as formed in 1085. To classify the Duchy of Moravia as independent is rather incorrect, though. It is true that the Duchy always (or at least most of the time) had its own Duke yet this duke was always loyal to the king of the Kingdom of Bohemia and often it was his family (after 1611 the title was automatically granted to the king himself). So, no, Kingdom of Bohemia was not twice as big, but, yes, the territory under the rule of the king of Bohemian kingdom was twice as big (including Moravia and after 1368 Silesia as well). Also, not to forget, the Kingdom of Bohemia made part of The Holy Roman Empire so it was under the sovereignty of the emperor.

Thank you for the details.  Yes, it is something of a moot point now, but historical discussion is always welcome, so thanks. 

Sorry I haven't responded lately, but I have been very busy (and yes, the good kind of busy).  Cheers. 

You have certainly advanced a bunch in the progress, but is this being released? Have you solve the problem of the maximum number of items? 

Barry_bon_Loyale said:
They are on page 19, just towards the bottom.  It's near the bottom third of the page, Response #282, if I'm not mistaken.  That should give you the details you were looking for. 

Nah, never mind, it's my fault. I realized later that I had changed the default setting of 15 posts per page... sorry

Barry_bon_Loyale said:
Thank you for the information.  The lords will certainly come in handy.  I'm not sure that the Templars will be included for Portugal, only because that would necessitate incorporating them for the French and other kingdoms as well.

As for translations, I'm thinking only some of the troops will have translated names, and others will not. 

I just tell you what units existed in Portugal at that time. And yes if you included Templars for Portugal you should do the same thing to other countries, anyway i don´t think that military orders should have such a great place in the mod. The only ones that should be represented are those native in the country. This said, Cavaleiros de Aviz for Portugal should be represented.

Barry_bon_Loyale said:
Excellent question.  Flanders has always been one of my major fascinations with the year 1300, and I think in central Europe it's one of the most important subjects. 

Flanders qualifies as a small kingdom, but it's the small kingdom I want to add the most.  As I said a while ago, though, adding one small kingdom would open up the debate to add more, and which ones "deserve" to be represented. 

I've decided that for its current release, it would not be a playable faction.  However, Flanders will be represented in two of the playable historical battles that will be included in the mod. 
ok thank you for replying
i asume that one of those battles propardly will be the battle of the golden spurs am i right?

glad to know this mod is still up and running, I wish good luck! for I'm going to England for a while to look up some more history, (talking to more historians) to learn more about weapons and tactics plus fighting styles(only in middle ages of course) and maybe I can come back with some more info for some mods like yours..

Man0waR said:
You have certainly advanced a bunch in the progress, but is this being released? Have you solve the problem of the maximum number of items?

It will be eventually released in some form, if not the full mod than most of the items.  I'd rather not let all the work be for naught, but as it stands I certainly will continue with the mod and release it as planned. 

I have not found a solution for the maximum items yet, but have been spending time calculating things and seeing what can be sidestepped and what cannot. 

tommmy said:
Nah, never mind, it's my fault. I realized later that I had changed the default setting of 15 posts per page... sorry

That's fine, not a problem. 

Sir_Viriato said:
I just tell you what units existed in Portugal at that time. And yes if you included Templars for Portugal you should do the same thing to other countries, anyway i don´t think that military orders should have such a great place in the mod. The only ones that should be represented are those native in the country. This said, Cavaleiros de Aviz for Portugal should be represented.

And thanks for the information.  The other military orders will likely be represented in some form, Templars being one that would create a slight dilemma.  And yes, representing the ones native to a country is exactly what I had in mind. 

Sam Gillis said:
i asume that one of those battles propardly will be the battle of the golden spurs am i right?

Not a problem.  Yes, there will be two battles featuring the French invasion of Flanders and the first will be the Battle of the Golden Spurs, where you play as the Flemish and defeat the French army.  The second will be Mons-en-Pévèle (1304), where the French defeated the Flemish army. 

SirBombastic said:
Just wanna say this is an amazing proyect and I hope it carries through as it deserves to.

Cheers

Thank you for the encouragement. 

Dragnguard77 said:
glad to know this mod is still up and running, I wish good luck! for I'm going to England for a while to look up some more history, (talking to more historians) to learn more about weapons and tactics plus fighting styles(only in middle ages of course) and maybe I can come back with some more info for some mods like yours..

Thanks for the wishes.  I look forward to any new information you might bring back.  And I hope you enjoy your trip to England. 

Ladias said:
Sound really great!
Hope to see it reliesed

Thanks for the support. 

Thank you all for the posts.  To give a small update, another scene has been done (again all thanks to Sensei), and a few new items have been designed and added.  Other than that, things have been progressing steadily.   

Hey guys,

I've been waiting this mod for some weeks now, so few compared to the amount of months needed to create such a project  :roll: but still, I'm one of the supporters of the mod.  :grin:

Waiting and waiting, seeing some discussions, fixing details or greater principles... I'm sorry for bothering you, I'm sure I am, but why is there no beta version or test version, for this mod? Do you aim at giving it DONE, once forever or...?  :???:

Well, see, I know a mod is done when it's done, I know the best thing to do is to be patient, but look, from december the 17th (5 months and a half), only few pictures are available!

Any more stuffs to communicate to make our waiting more confortable? Any pictures, news, can you estimate how long it will be from now?

Yes, I'm bothering, I told you...

Bagenge said:
Hey guys,

I've been waiting this mod for some weeks now, so few compared to the amount of months needed to create such a project  :roll: but still, I'm one of the supporters of the mod.  :grin:

Waiting and waiting, seeing some discussions, fixing details or greater principles... I'm sorry for bothering you, I'm sure I am, but why is there no beta version or test version, for this mod? Do you aim at giving it DONE, once forever or...?  :???:

Well, see, I know a mod is done when it's done, I know the best thing to do is to be patient, but look, from december the 17th (5 months and a half), only few pictures are available!

Any more stuffs to communicate to make our waiting more confortable? Any pictures, news, can you estimate how long it will be from now?

I want a beta too! This mod can be really great!

Barry_bon_Loyale said:
Sam Gillis said:

Not a problem.  Yes, there will be two battles featuring the French invasion of Flanders and the first will be the Battle of the Golden Spurs, where you play as the Flemish and defeat the French army.  The second will be Mons-en-Pévèle (1304), where the French defeated the Flemish army. 
you could better say that Mons-en-Pévèle was a draw my friend since the flemish did gain independence there and killed a lot more frenchmen

Bagenge said:
Hey guys,

Glad to hear it.

Bagenge said:

Cèsar de Quart said:
I want a beta too! This mod can be really great!

There are a few reasons why there are no beta or test versions for this mod.  Primary among them is yes, I plan on releasing it when it's done.  Not necessarily perfect, as there will likely be bugs and things to update, but a polished, ready product. 

I don't think betas would be appropriate.  The mod in it's finished form will be more than Native with OSP items, so you needn't worry about that. 

Also, the other main reason this mod hasn't been very active is because I've been working on another, unannounced mod.  I'm working on them in tandem, this one slightly less because the other's work moves quicker. 

Bagenge said:

There quite a few images available; the ones on the front page are quite outdated (which I can fix rather simply).  Throughout the thread there are several bundles of images; I'll just update the screenshots. 

I guess the only thing I can say to make the wait more comfortable is that another historical mod is being worked on that will have the same amount of detail, emphasis on accuracy, and effort put into it to hold you over.  This mod has been worked on and some of the more recent work hasn't been shown yet. 

And no, you are not bothering at all.  Community feedback is a large part of what keeps the mod going. 

Sam Gillis said:
you could better say that Mons-en-Pévèle was a draw my friend since the flemish did gain independence there and killed a lot more frenchmen

Yes, from what I've read there's a lot of discussion/lack of clarity when it comes to the actual victor of the battle.  From what I gather, it's a bit of a tossup, with both sides gaining and losing what they didn't expect.

The French did lose more troops, but they also had a lot more soldiers to lose, so the term is somewhat misleading.  In the end of the battle they still kept the field and ended up with more survivors. 

Also, according to one source, the French reclaimed the golden spurs captured by the Flemish at the Battle of the Golden Spurs.  So the French symbolically reversed the verdict of that very decisive battle. 

On the other hand, the Flemish did achieve independence, at the cost of several important cities, such as Lille, Douai and Béthune.  The Flemish also paid large amounts of tribute to King Philip IV (who personally considered Mons-en-Pévèle his victory). 

It was certainly not the victory King Philip IV wanted, as the Flemish did fight well enough to secure independence, but was also not a French defeat, which the Flemish hoped for.  Nor did the Flemish expect to take the financial brunt of the war, having to pay for King Philip's troubles. 

So in many ways it was a draw, but it also was technically a French victory (from a tactical standpoint).  It was not the victory they hoped for, granted, and the Flemish did get their independence, although it was also not the unconditional independence they had hoped for. 

Thanks for the comments everyone. 

I was wondering - could you tell me, if your work was divided between this mod and your other, how much effort, based on 100%, are you putting into each? (e.g. 70% that one, 30% this one)

Magthadood482 said:
I was wondering - could you tell me, if your work was divided between this mod and your other, how much effort, based on 100%, are you putting into each? (e.g. 70% that one, 30% this one)

I could try - I would say something like 25% this one and 75% the other one.  Not encouraging numbers I know, but it is still being worked on.  The other should hopefully be a worthwhile mod in and of itself, and I'm quite excited about it. 

Also, progress on one mod often inspires progress on the other.  And when I get stuck on one mod, I can always work on the other.  I work much faster that way. 

For this mod lately I've been rewriting troop trees for the new style of troops I want, designing extra uniforms for troops, and actually spending a good deal of time looking at and editing helmets for royalty. 

Good luck with the mod! Anyways, would you happen to have any new screenshots or features you've added, or you just chillin right now?

insomniac said:
I want genoese crossbowmen in the mod

Genoese crossbowmen will be in the mod as mercenaries, as French armies were fond of recruiting them and deploying them in the battlefield. 

Tiberius Decimus Maximus said:
Good luck with the mod! Anyways, would you happen to have any new screenshots or features you've added, or you just chillin right now?

Thanks.  I don't think I have any new screenshots (I'd have to think about how much has been added since the last added screenshots).  The mod is still active, although not as active as the other project.

Thanks for the comments. 

Back
Top Bottom