SP Medieval New Mod: “Europa - 1300 AD” (Updates, see page 39+40)

Should I change the direction of the mod (see page 19 for details)?

• Go for it and God speed!

Votes: 26 63.4%
  • What the hell were you thinking? Shut up and get back to work!

Votes: 15 36.6%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

I actually had no idea that certain person was from Florence until I was there last month.  I always associated him with other north Italian areas.  It is amazing how much medieval art was there, not just Renaissance.  Everything seemed to be Madonna and Child in a billion different settings though, heh.

Cèsar de Quart said:
Insid3 said:
Wenceslaus II was a king of a 2 territories. Kingdom of Poland and Kingdom of Bohemia, but These Kingdoms were never be like Great Duchy of Lithuania and Kingdom of Poland union. Wenceslaus II neither going to unification Those kingdoms. He going to strengthened the Bohemia, so Kingdom of Poland and Kingdom of Bohemia have this same King, but nothing more...

Of course, the two kingdoms did not merge in a sole political entity, but the king was the same, and in those times the real power did not rely on countries, states and institutions: the real power was on dynasties and fiefs. The more vassals you had, the more powerful you were, and the king of Poland and Bohemia was obviously very powerful.

Feudalism did not understand of boundaries. Bohemia was just a territorial name. Dynasties grew and fell: the Plantagenets grew, the Hohenstaufen fell, etc. In the time of the Emperor Heinrich, the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire was also king of Sicily; this did not made the two kingdoms the same, but if the king went at war with France, both Germany and Sicily went to war. That's the thing.

But Wenceslaus II was a king since august 1300. So Barry_bon_Loyale can't make Kingdom of Poland with Przemysł II as king ?

Chewiemuse said:
oh..my bad :oops:

'Tis alright. 

Skot the Sanguine said:
I actually had no idea that certain person was from Florence until I was there last month.  I always associated him with other north Italian areas.  It is amazing how much medieval art was there, not just Renaissance.  Everything seemed to be Madonna and Child in a billion different settings though, heh.

You were in Florence?  Nice, I hoped you enjoyed it.

Yes, there was a lot of art at literature coming from the area at the time, certainly carrying into the Renaissance. 

Insid3 said:
But Wenceslaus II was a king since august 1300. So Barry_bon_Loyale can't make Kingdom of Poland with Przemysł II as king ?

I wouldn't be able to do that because Przemysł II was dead by 1296.  Between then and 1300 there was a Duke of Greater Poland, but that wouldn't be the title of King.  The next King of Poland would be Wenceslaus II. 

Barry_bon_Loyale said:
Here is the first scene created for the mod: the English city of York.  All credit here goes to Sensei, who graciously signed on to make some scenes for the mod. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
screennew78.jpg

screennew79.jpg

screennew80.jpg

screennew81.jpg

screennew82.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

I don't think the pictures do the scene justice, as there are a lot of areas to explore.  Sensei's scene has largely convinced that this mod will need to continue in the future. 

Also, I'll show a new set of shields.  As you can see I have started designing other types of shields, though trying to maintain the same style.  There are some that are other European nations, such as the Holy Roman Empire and Republic of Venice. 

shields4.gif

shields5.gif

shields6.gif

So progress is still going, though I'm not sure how the release would work out.  Though this mod will continue, as of now I'm probably going to switch gears a bit. 

Peacemaker said:
Glad to hear this. The biggest problem is (on my opinion) there is no team. You work hard on this mod as an individual and not a team. In Medieval Total war II (my favorite game, Empire sucks) there are few very good mods and whole teams of people created them. This game and mod has a huge potential. But I understand, it´s very difficult job to do that on your own. Thank you mate for not letting us down  :wink:

I prefer doing a lot of the work on my own, but I appreciate help.  A team would be lovely, but on this mod I don't mind going the work that I do.  As you can see above, there are people who are helping.  Mainly I'd like help in areas such as scene making (where Sensei has done a better job than I could ever hope to do), and more advanced coding. 

As Elenmmare said, though, working by yourself does have its inherent benefits. 

grievous5226 said:
Perhaps a suggestion for the far, far future when you're near completion.

If you wanna keep the Byzantines in the game, why don't you have some sort of scripted event, that maybe has a 10% chance to fire, saying the Byzantines have repelled the Turks and wish to rebirth rome!,

A clever suggestion, but it would create the same problems as before.  It would still require the same amount of item numbers, new uniforms, and file space.  Also, the larger problem is that the map no longer includes the area of the Byzantine Empire. 

grievous5226 said:
Btw Barry, count to 669. It's alot more than you give credit for.

It sounds like a lot, and it could be for a mod that has fewer factions.  I was very excited when I got that number, but mathematics came in to kill my happiness. 

669 would crash the game, since it would go to 915, so 665 is more of a realistic number. 

Last I checked, there were 149 lords (including kings), since some factions have a different number of lords.  Being that each has a unique uniform, that leaves 516. 

From what I gather, there will probably be around 91 new shields divided among the factions.  Maybe 39 new horse armors, although that number may be way off.  I don't know how many new helmets, but I know at least 10 so far. 

Adding those together would mean 28 uniforms allowed per faction, which seems like a lot, but divided by the average 7 units each faction has, that would be 4 uniforms per unit, which I have already largely breached. 

I'm not saying I'd go massively over that number, but I would probably need a little more breathing space than that.  Not by much, but that the last thing I want to do it go through and decide which of my new items stay and which go.  The above numbers may be off since I don't adhere strictly to dividing things equally, but I'd hate to get all of them done and it breach the limit. 

Chereokee said:
Some inspiration for the Kingdom of Denmark

Cheers for that, since I will be needing more information on their army types.  It's difficult to get the images of Denmark out of my head, which is mainly Scandinavian, Viking-esque cultures, which by the 1300's they don't seem to be. 

CCDK said:
Valdemar 2. Sejr
reign 1202-1241
Wife: Berengaria - daughter of Sancho 1. - sister of Alonso 2 - would fit with the period where danish nobles via the sea could nicely go to Portugal and fight to gain a good credit at the Judgement

Thanks for the information.

Wow. :shock: Anyway, you mentioned you hated the item limit, but surely, that can't be that much of a problem. Northern/northeastern/eastern - French peasants would've worn similar clothing to their (western)German counterparts who wouldn't be very differently dressed than eastern German and Polish peasantry. Much similarities would exist, I'd think. I'd like to renew my wish of "good luck" to you. (That is, I probably wished you luck, but I'm not sure.)

Man, keep up the awesome work, I am mostly amazed by things i have seen in this, hope you make things as awesome as they look like in the pics and descriptions.

I am really looking forward to this mod, it just seems to be not just A medieval mod, but THE medieval mod!

Do not look here said:
Tiberius Decimus Maximus said:
FrisianDude said:
GodsHand said:
FrisianDude said:
If they had used more Romanesque tactics they might have been even more successful.

Fail...

Medieval tactics and their equipment don't go with Roman formations...

No, Roman tactics go with Roman formations, and I was talking about tactics more than formations. Equipment doesn't seem to me to be that big of a deal, really. I mean, where early medieval tactics a lot different to ancient "barbarian" ones?

Sorry Frisian, but I'm having to go against you with this one.
Now, I believe you are talking about early-mid Imperial Roman tactics here, am I correct? With most soldiers with segmentica lorica, standardized gear, etc?

Now, sense this is 1300 AD, tactics have changed quite a bit from the ancient swarm the enemy and if you are loosing run away tactics of the barbarians. Heavy cavalry lead the first charge in a wave, the infantry, covered with archer and artillery fire from the rear, advance and reinforce the Cavalry already in melee, and light cavalry ride down any deserters and routing enemies. To my knowledge, the romans had to just take up defensive positions, and cut down the hotheaded barbarians who charged them.

Maybe in theory. The truth is that there was hundreds of knights, more hundreds of, let me call them Men at Arms, more infantry, charging from both sides, and trying to kill as many madafakers from the second side as they can. Talking about tactics is too much, when commander is able only to decide when send each crushing wave of soldiers. "The winner is that guy with more heavy cavalry. He wins and then he writes that there were dozens enemies on one his knight"

Have none of you played M2TW? You can just line up in the corner of the map and voilá, you cant be flanked :grin: :wink:

ithinkimighthateyou said:
o my i think i might cry.....this is amazing dude i love the moorish archers. looks llike a beauty hope it plays out the same cant wait  :grin:

Thank you.  I'm glad you like the Moorish Archers.  The Moors really have been a lot of fun to work on, since they're a break from the other kingdoms.  The style and consistency will remain throughout, I can tell you. 

FrisianDude said:

That was likewise my initial reaction when first trying out Sensei's work. 

He has also recently completed London, I just haven't put pictures up yet.  I was equally impressed with London, he really gave justice to the Bridge and the Tower. 

FrisianDude said:
Anyway, you mentioned you hated the item limit, but surely, that can't be that much of a problem. Northern/northeastern/eastern - French peasants would've worn similar clothing to their (western)German counterparts who wouldn't be very differently dressed than eastern German and Polish peasantry. Much similarities would exist, I'd think. I'd like to renew my wish of "good luck" to you. (That is, I probably wished you luck, but I'm not sure.)

Yes, the item limit is quite discouraging and it makes me walk on egg shells when it comes to items (which I never like to do). 

The peasants will have similar clothing, so you're right about that.  The military units will have a lot of variety though; some units have 7 new uniform varieties that only they wear. 

And thanks for the renewed "good luck". 

Revoltie said:
Man, keep up the awesome work, I am mostly amazed by things i have seen in this, hope you make things as awesome as they look like in the pics and descriptions.

I am really looking forward to this mod, it just seems to be not just A medieval mod, but THE medieval mod!

Well thank you for the compliment, and yes, I will stay very consistent in the level of work that goes into the uniforms and items. 

Maximus183 said:
Have none of you played M2TW? You can just line up in the corner of the map and voilá, you cant be flanked :grin: :wink:

I appreciate your enthusiasm, that is, reading the thread to find that.  However, in the future, let's let old arguments lay buried. 

Wavemanmav said:
Any time frame on a beta?

Good question.  Unfortunately, no idea.  I've been working on another (or several) mods as well as two very time-consuming outside projects (which I'm very proud of and enjoying). 

I still work on this one, and get inspired all of the time.  I've also been really working on the map, and it's incredibly accurate (mostly because it's a directly imported map of Europe into the editor). 

Also, I don't exactly plan on releasing a beta, but a polished product.  I'm not fond of most betas, since they're mostly Native and not worthwhile. 

I hope that (somewhat) answers your question.

Since no one has answered you in a few days, I will say that in all likelihood there will be minimal horse archers.  The focus of this mod is along Central, Western, and Northern Europe.  Those regions had a noticible lack of such units for the most part.  However, there may be some fringe factions that have some horse archers.  Mind you, this is an educated guess on my part, but I can't say for certain.

i don´t like these ton-wise "blaa blaaa blaaa"...

in case of this mod i want to see more facts...  :roll:

maybe this is also a mod, which will be never released... :roll: (like 100 of others here)

:roll:

Revoltie said:
Will there be Horse Archers?

Skot the Sanguine said:
Since no one has answered you in a few days, I will say that in all likelihood there will be minimal horse archers.  The focus of this mod is along Central, Western, and Northern Europe.  Those regions had a noticible lack of such units for the most part.  However, there may be some fringe factions that have some horse archers.  Mind you, this is an educated guess on my part, but I can't say for certain.

He's very much correct; for the most part horse archery was not a common tactic employed by most Western European kingdoms.  There would of course be nothing to stop the player from being a horse archer, but most kingdoms will not employ them. 

Although there were some horse archery units, such as Granada having mounted crossbowmen, I don't think they will appear much in the mod. 

timedanze said:

I don't think I get what you're saying there...

timedanze said:

I'm assuming you mean facts about the mod and what it will contain, and the first post still lays out what it will be like.  As far as additional features, there will be plenty, it certainly won't be traditional Native, but I also prefer not to get into things until they are actually work. 

Of course, you can feel free to ask about any specific feature you had in mind. 

timedanze said:
maybe this is also a mod, which will be never released... :roll: (like 100 of others here)

Well, if I was interested in just shooting off a mod to the repository, I could have released this months ago.  It's not much to make a new map, rename things, and add items.  There are plenty of quickly assembled mods, but I've never tried to be one of those. 

I've intended from the beginning to make this polished and clean-cut before it's released.  Also, I'd rather not release it than release a half-assed mod.  That I would have a problem with. 

Yeah, I know Horse Archers were used mainly in steppe and eastern Europe, but ok, if there is no Horse Archers, then some French Heavy Cavalry is never too bad  :razz:!

timedanze said:

Don't be so negative.

Arag said:
is the mod death?

It has almost been 2 weeks since the creator has posted.....it is summer....my assumption is he has a life and works on this mod when he is in the mood to do so.  General rule of thumb is if there are no posts on a topic for a couple months, then the mod MIGHT be dead.  Besides, Barry seems like the sort who would at least tell us all if he is abandoning the mod.

In short.....NO.

Back
Top Bottom