SP Medieval New Mod: “Europa - 1300 AD” (Updates, see page 39+40)

Should I change the direction of the mod (see page 19 for details)?

• Go for it and God speed!

Votes: 26 63.4%
  • What the hell were you thinking? Shut up and get back to work!

Votes: 15 36.6%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

I honestly wanted to avoid announcing this mod for a long time.  I’ve been working on it unannounced for a good while now.  The reason I didn’t announce is because I wanted to avoid announcing it until it was much farther along and so that I wouldn’t have people watching every step of the progress.  However, every few weeks a new mod comes up on the subject of Medieval Europe and at that point I realize I have new competition.  Most of them go away in some form and then it’s back to business as usual.  This is followed by the next person who wants to make a mod on the subject and the process begins again.  I realize I shouldn’t put off announcing it any longer, so here it is. 

Announcing “Europa - 1300 AD” a Mount & Blade mod for 1.011. 

Story:
The year is 1300 AD and Europe is engaged in a state of brutal conflict.  From all corners of Europe, kings and their pawns eat at each other, willing to let hundreds die for a few small spots on the map.  Soldiers from each nation are called upon to serve their time in this never-ending game. 

In Britain, the English forces of Edward I are slowly bleeding into Scotland.  Across the channel, the king of France finds himself clashing with the Pope, willing to resort to bloodshed if necessary.  In Spain, the armies of King Ferdinand are itching to see the destruction of the Kingdom of Grenada, whereas the Sultan attempts to defend the kingdom of his ancestors.  Across Europe, the Holy Roman Empire is plagued by internal conflict, and their zealot neighbors, the Teutonic Knights, begin their incursion into Dazing. 

Features:
-Twelve Factions (thus far):
  Kingdom of England
  Kingdom of France
  Kingdom of Scotland
  Holy Roman Empire
  Crown of Castile
  Kingdom of Portugal
  Kingdom of Granada (the Moors)
  Kingdom of Denmark
  Order of the Teutonic Knights
  Kingdoms of Bohemia and Poland
  Republic of Venice
  Kingdom of Sicily

There are some that are pending, such as the Crown of Aragon and perhaps another Italian kingdom. 

All of the factions will have dozens of retextured tunics and clothing for them and historically accurate commanders. 

-New map of Europe
This is a larger map than Native and using a technique in the map editor, the map is extremely accurate to Europe's geography.  A lot of attention will be placed to small details, hopefully making the map come alive.  I'm also considering adding map icons that are just for show to enhance the look of the map. 

-All lords from the kingdoms will be named after historical nobles and knights from 1300
Fight alongside historical figures such as Robert the Bruce, King Edward I, King Philip the Fair, Guillaume de Nogaret, King Ferdinand of Castile and many others.

-New Quick Battles based on historical battles of the era
New battles including battles from the Scottish Wars of Independence, France’s invasion of Flanders, the Castilian campaigns against the Moors, and others.   

-Some new music and sound effects

-New features such as dueling will be included, and hunting will be incorporated as well.  I very much intend for marriage to be a part of this mod, but I’ll have to see how that develops. 

-This mod will include a large amount of retextures; so far there are exactly 107 new uniforms, surcoats, and other costume variations.  I also hope to have new features, such as new tournament systems and relationships.  With this mod I will strive for historical accuracy, but it won’t be perfect.  For example, Emperor Henry VII was not Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire until 1308, and at the time of this mod, 1300, there was no Emperor.  The smaller kingdoms were at the time left to their own devices.  However, it would be difficult to make a set of smaller kingdoms, so Henry VII will be the Emperor at the start of the game.  Things of that nature will be slightly modified to accommodate game play, but as I said, I will be trying my best to be accurate.     

If anyone is interested in helping, I do not really need model makers or texturers (I will be making a very large amount of retextures for this mod), and I can handle most of the research (most of it is done).  I would welcome coders, though, since I’m not very familiar at all with the module system. 

Any questions, comments, or suggestions are welcome.  All discussion is welcome, but please keep spam and side arguments to a minimum.  I will keep progress updated and answer questions/address comments as they come up.   

Below you will find some screenshots, but please bare in mind they are quite outdated.  In the future I'll set some time aside to updating them, but I'll leave them there for now.  Also if you want, you can show your support for this mod and help it get some publicity by displaying this banner in your signature:

Code for said banner​
Code:
                         [URL=http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,52986.0.html][IMG]http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/8987/bannernz4.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Screenshots:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
The map of Europe (outdated - new one is being done)​
screen1pu3.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

The rest are screenshots that have been posted throughout the thread: 

Scottish Pikemen, French Pikemen, English Longbowmen, various commanders:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,52986.msg1429542.html#msg1429542

French Men-at-Arms, English Sergeants:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,52986.msg1433568.html#msg1433568

Castile Caballeros, Moorish Archers, French Chevaliers, Teutonic Sergeants, scene of skirmish:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,52986.msg1444980.html#msg1444980

King Philip IV, Emperor Henry VII, battle between English and Scottish armies:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,52986.msg1471423.html#msg1471423

Bishop, various commanders, Scottish Heavy Infantry, French Infantry:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,52986.msg1532740.html#msg1532740

New Longbowmen:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,52986.msg1552199.html#msg1552199

Scottish Lowland Cavalry, English Knights, French Knights:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,52986.msg1575605.html#msg1575605

New shields:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,52986.msg1596256.html#msg1596256

City of York, new shields:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,52986.msg1622362.html#msg1622362

Well, it looks great.  You'll have decent competition in the other medieval Europe mod though, so you'd better hope this does well.  I sure hope it does, though.  I'm a little swamped with three projects on my hands currently, but you could PM Wei.Xiadi, he's a brilliant texture and would be itching to do some work for you.  He'll be back in January, he's on holiday.

And I love that you've already done tons of work on it, I like seeing mods like this.  I would have done that, and was in the process of making Mongol when Mertbey posted the same idea in a thread, so I just decided to join his project instead, but it was too late to avoid publicity.

Tell you what man, you've done some mighty fine work so far. Keep it up man! :mrgreen:

Word of warning:
You'll probably find some people are just going to lash out at you with full force saying that ''your mod idea is stupid'' or that ''we've got to many Medieval mods, stop making them for god sake''. Dont listen to them people, they've just got low self-esteem and have nothing better to do then take out their anger on people who are trying very  hard to make really awesome mods.

Good Textures! Good Map! Good Setup! Good Work!

jord932003 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Great work indeed! I especially like the weathered effect on the knights in this picture (the third one right now).
And what other finished full-European medieval mods do we have? I know only of one WIP (or actually more like on an "idea-level") and several regional-based.

Okay, I posted before the pictures came up. xD

Beautiful map, smooth, clean, and the items on those men are phenomenal.  You have a fantastic start, my friend.  I do hope that at least one medieval Europe mod will get through, and I'm rooting for yours!

Id hate to be the party pooper here, but I for one dont particularly like the texturing on items - surcoats look color stained rather than weathered and some helmets are lacking in detail, especially the king's helm.  Also those native tournament helms look ridiculous outside of tournaments.  Otherwise the idea is great and Id be happy if you go through with it.

The textures are very good.  Most Native and Mod textures look like they they just came off the rack at the clothing store or are so color saturated they don't look real.  I like the "campaigned in" look. 

Morbrew said:
The textures are very good.  Most Native and Mod textures look like they they just came off the rack at the clothing store or are so color saturated they don't look real.  I like the "campaigned in" look. 

This is weathered:
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc352/Frederic_A/The_1257_Edition/mb31.jpg

This has had a laundry accident:
http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/2062/screen5nx3.jpg

Weathering, or the "campaigned" look, is a rather subtle job of dulling down saturation and giving cloth just a tad bit of graininess so the structure is somewhat visible.  Also slightly highliting creases and slightly darkening their counterpart (whatever its called in english) is good.  Adding some slight dirt marks is also good.  But everything has to very subtle.  But I ll shut up now and see how things look at the end.

Looking good so far. I'd love to contribute towards the texturing and modelling for the mod if you want. I'm liking your choice of factions, the Teutons, Moors and Byzantines in particular.

Great.

I have a suggestion; I considered it on my mod, but it wouldn't have fit- do you plan to make "boundaries" on the world map? Say, taking a texture and making it pure red to sort of divide Europe into different segments? I'm not sure about you, but I find M&B's map more representative of a campaign map, not a map of an entire continent. Cities sort of blend in after a while.

That brings another point; its possible to, very easily, paint of certain images. I was messing around with the map editor and found that adding a certain custom texture was almost like scratching stuff off a lottery ticket; the more you add, the more of the image is revealed. Playing around with it a bit, you could get very nice medieval images like on maps:

A sketch of a ship, "here be dragons". In my opinion, it would give a more complex feel to the game and make you feel like you're really in Europe, not just a map looking like it. I'd also probably make the textures look like a faded map, a la Imperial Glory, but that's really just personal preference.

Good luck.

To be honest, the Arena/Tournament helms need to see much more action in mods. I personally find them to be the best looking helmets -Ever-. They don't have bad stats either...

Wow, this looks promising. I'd say it was a good idea for you to remain off the radar til you got some work done. It seems every Europe mod is shot down because it's announced too early. Hope you go all the way through with this. Good luck!

Yeah looks really promiseing did you use anything to make the pictures more detail or are they all actual shots of the game?

hunterman52 said:
Nice, The tunics looks really well detailed have you got a rough date of release?

I don't think so.  I don't think I'll give out a date because I don't want to add pressure on myself. 

Silver125 said:
It sounds like  fun ^^
but im sad that u didnt made a
Kingdom Of Danes

but its pretty cool =D

I did very much consider adding the Kingdom of the Danes.  The maps includes the area, and I originally had plans to (and may end up including them).  The things that stopped me from adding them now is that I can't find good resources on Danes in 1300 (most resources point to Danes from earlier centuries).  Another reason is that so far I could only find three Danish lords and they were King Eric VI, Stig Andersen Hvide, and Wizlau II of Rűgen.  I figured I would need more to start focusing on them as a faction. 

Calathar said:
nice looking one,altough i'm surprised with factions :smile: (you've put minors in eastern europe and forgot bout majors,but it's your mod) anyway,good luck

Fair enough, but which major ones do you think I missed?  I'm aware that I did not include Poland or Bohemia, but Hungary at the time was a very active kingdom.  I could find a good deal of information on them and they were engaged in of the biggest battles at the time, the Battle of Rozgony (June 15, 1312).

Also, I chose to add the Teutonic Knights because I'm personally quite interested in them and was very surprised to see the amount of actual land that fell under their jurisdiction, giving them a rightful place in the mod. 

Elenmmare said:
Great.

I have a suggestion; I considered it on my mod, but it wouldn't have fit- do you plan to make "boundaries" on the world map? Say, taking a texture and making it pure red to sort of divide Europe into different segments? I'm not sure about you, but I find M&B's map more representative of a campaign map, not a map of an entire continent. Cities sort of blend in after a while.

That's actually a very good suggestion, it's just right now the Map Editor and I have very dodgy relationship and I'm doing my best not to aggravate it.  I will consider it in the future, though. 

hunterman52 said:
Yeah looks really promiseing did you use anything to make the pictures more detail or are they all actual shots of the game?

No, those are actual pictures, straight from the game.  I don't have any graphical enhancements on and I don't really know what the mod would look like with those. 

Leggeron said:
Id hate to be the party pooper here, but I for one dont particularly like the texturing on items - surcoats look color stained rather than weathered and some helmets are lacking in detail, especially the king's helm.  Also those native tournament helms look ridiculous outside of tournaments.  Otherwise the idea is great and Id be happy if you go through with it.

You're not being a party pooper, I'd like hear all opinions.  What happened was that I discovered this interesting effect in Photoshop and it inspired to make these very weathered uniforms.  The King's uniforms are markedly less dirty, but most others have that effect.  Originally I was going for a very stylized mod but didn't want to apply that to all aspects of the game textures so I stuck with just the uniforms. 

Unfortunately those are some of the more subtle versions, actually.  Some look like they've been rolled in refuse and thrown on, but, that's what I was going for. 

As far as the helmets lacking detail, I do agree with you there.  It's the lighting in BRF Edit that needs tweaking, because otherwise they're the same details from Native, just lit to hell.  I opted for expediency when creating these screenshots so I will definitely be getting to that soon. 

To Pali Gap, jord932003, NikeBG, Morbrew, -Peter-, Lurdze, Tibertus, hunterman52, and vadermath, thank you for the words of encouragement. 

For now it's back to business as usual but I may put up some faction previews.  Just a small thing about the factions basic capabilities, soldiers, and their commanders.  I don't feel like doing the troop trees; a lot of people seem interested in them but I've never been.

Back
Top Bottom