New (?) idea for improved realism and further enojyable and USEFUL archery

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello!

I want to come with a suggestion for a new mechanic regarding archery for Bannerlord before it is released, that I believe will not only increase the usefulness of archery in the game, but also realism and most importantly the FUN aspect of it all!

What I am talking about is manipulating the flight path of the arrow. This is a real thing. Yes, fascinating, isn't it? In real life you can actually manipulate the flight path of an arrow - it does not have to fly straight forward when you release the string, but you can actually shoot it in a curved path around and behind targets.

For example, imagine you are facing two opponents, one infantry with a shield up front, and an archer a little distance behind this shield-bearer.
What you could do in this situation if you are skilled enough, is to shoot the arrow so that it goes around the infantry man, going out from the middle of the path so to speak to one side, and then back against the middle again and hitting the archer behind. Or why not shoot across a wall or around a pillar?`

The best way for you, the developers and my dear fellow players, to understand what I am talking about and how this works is by watching this simple 1.5 minute video showcasing just this.
You can see the video here: Go to youtube and search 'Lars Andersen Turning Arrows' please, as apparantly I as a new member cannot post links yet.

I would love to see this implemented in Bannerlord, as it would take the game to another whole new level. I don't think it should prove very difficult to implement either, just a simple holding Right-click or other button while drawing your bow could initiate this type of action, and then you could perform like a half-circle motion with your mouse in the way you want the arrow to fly, i.e. right-forward-left, or left-forward-right, or up-forward-down or whatever. So to tell the game how you want the arrow to fly. Simply holding the left mouse button and not the other special button, would release a normal 'straight' flying arrow.

What do you guys think? Any ideas or feedback?

Lars' videos have been discussed on this forum before. Though they seem interesting to some, they have also been criticised on many aspects, including by myself, not only here but on youtube as well.

Basically, his trick-shots only work with his specific equipment and setup. They would not work on a battlefield or be useless there. This is mostly because of the very low draw-weight of the bow used. Notice how the arrows in the videos hardly penetrate the soft targets. They would hardly do any damage to an opponent with even light armour or clothing.

As John C said, realistically the arrow doesn't really have enough penetrating power to be useful in a battlefield situation. However, I won't get into that here as this has been discussed on here multiple times.

As far as gameplay goes, it seems like it would be useful only in very specific situations, and even then there are a few more issues to consider. How much does the arrow curve? If it's the same amount every time, you limit the functionality even more, as there has to be just the right amount of room between you, the target, and enough room on the curve-side for the arrow to complete it's arc. If the curve is determined by the player, it seems (to me at least) to be something that would be difficult to control, and would become more frustrating than useful as the player would likely waste a lot of arrows trying to get the curve just right, when you could have probably just put those arrows into, say, the infantry player in your example and taken him down rather than trying to take down the archer behind the infantry guy.

For a mod, though, this could be interesting, depending on how it was done.

The latest skirmish video showed us that archery might be overtuned. I dont think where you get the impression that archery is not useful. Its a game-breaking mechanic on single player and it seems that it's much easier in bannerlord than what it was in warband already.

mr_nifty said:
What I am talking about is manipulating the flight path of the arrow. This is a real thing. Yes, fascinating, isn't it?

Yes it's fascinating. Just like juggling, fire breathing, rope walking and other circus stuff. Unfortunately MB is not a circus simulator. So I see no room for it in the game.

mr_nifty said:
...and hitting the archer behind.

It's called gravity. Already in the game.

This video is about another kind of trick shooting by Lars Andersen but it's relevant all the same:

[EDIT:] Given that Op have newer been here on the forum and have just created account to post this "bright new idea that will greatly improve MB", what do you guys think, how big is it a chance that OP is spammer and click bait promoter for dear ole Lars...?

hruza said:
What I am talking about is manipulating the flight path of the arrow. This is a real thing. Yes, fascinating, isn't it?

Yes it's fascinating. Just like juggling, fire breathing, rope walking and other circus stuff. Unfortunately MB is not a circus simulator. So I see no room for it in the game.

It's called gravity. Already in the game.

[EDIT:] Given that Op have newer been here on the forum and have just created account to post this "bright new idea that will greatly improve MB", what do you guys think, how big is it a chance that OP is spammer and click bait promoter for dear ole Lars...?

I love your weird ass paranoia about me being some promoter for Lars - truly shows how out-of-touch some people are. I had never seen Lars before in my life before yesterday, but I thought what he could do was so impressive, and could have so many uses in Mount & Blade, I wanted to jump on here and make a suggestion, but good thing you are out here protecting all the poor easy-to-trick fans!

And yes, gravity is in the game, which I love already - my suggestion is simply another mechanic that would further improve gameplay. Talking about making Warband a circus just makes you look silly. No one wants a circus, nor a clown spewing BS in the forums  :roll:

hruza said:
Here we come. Little Lars is spamming other game forums with this click bait for his videos. He just posted this on the 7 Days to Die Reddit forum:

https://www.reddit.com/r/7daystodie/comments/clpecx/so_when_are_we_getting_this_in_game/

Coincidence? I don't think so. SPAM!

Haha  :lol:, I have to say - seeing you spend time well into the night unlike normal folks, trying to find proof of your own conspiracy theory is a delight and a lot of fun in itself. Now I know how these types of people come to be.

Think of it like this - how many people are on earth? What are the odds that someone, anyone - me in this case - would stumble upon the arrow turning video and finding it very impressive, and so impressive in fact that person would like to see it in the upcoming game?

That is what has happened to me. Whatever Lars does is up to him, and I am not affiliated with him in anyway. Proving that to you seems difficult and fruitless - but again that doesn't really matter. I just wanted to come with a suggestion. If you want to spend your time creating and 'proving' your own conspiracy theories, be my gues.

Rules said:
No Spam
Spam clogs up the forum, makes relevant and accurate information harder to find and causes the forum to slow down for everybody. The definition of ‘spam’ includes, but is not limited to, the following actions:
  • Multi-posting — if you need to add something, and yours was the last post in the thread, edit your last post instead of adding a new one

Unfortunately for you, unlike you I am long time member of both communities, therefore I did not have to spend anything. I did not register here yesterday to promote YouTube channel under clickbait title.

I have a much better idea. Shooting arrows with feet!!!  This will definetly improve the game because why not. And for the people who who thinks this is unrealistic, let me show you some proof.
hqdefault.jpg

Imagine the consequences if your archers arms getting sore because of constantly using bows. Just order them to use their feet.

FUN!!!

mr_nifty said:
I love your weird ass paranoia about me being some promoter for Lars - truly shows how out-of-touch some people are. I had never seen Lars before in my life before yesterday, but I thought what he could do was so impressive, and could have so many uses in Mount & Blade, I wanted to jump on here and make a suggestion, but good thing you are out here protecting all the poor easy-to-trick fans!

And yes, gravity is in the game, which I love already - my suggestion is simply another mechanic that would further improve gameplay. Talking about making Warband a circus just makes you look silly. No one wants a circus, nor a clown spewing BS in the forums  :roll:
They're right about the circus stuff, it is in no way realistic to do stupid archery trick shots in battle and would make the game look silly, how would something like this even be implemented.

This suggestion falls into the same realm of impracticality as the rapid-fire, multiple-arrow, and "arrow catching" trick threads in the past.  It's POSSIBLE to do it under tightly controlled conditions, but:

A - the amount of force that the arrow loses due to the angled trajectory means that it's not likely to penetrate even minimal padding or leather, or do all that much damage even if it hits an exposed area.

B - the arrow's initial tilt and distance involved are VERY finicky, so it would only be able to be used at a pre-calculated distance with a lot of practice at it....not much use during a panicked moment while someone's charging at you with a sharp object.

C - the specialized training that it would take to master this trick means that much less effort spent on normal shooting.

D - implementing it, and controlling it within the game, would probably be complicated.

Sorry, this is NOT something that I want to see in the game, and I'm mostly an archery player.  Archery is PLENTY powerful enough as it is.

Back
Top Bottom