New GPU - Nvidia or AMD Radeon?

Users who are viewing this thread

I am about to buy new GPU. I was rather AMD Radeon fan but I would like to get a GPU which is better for Bannerlord.
Does anyone have any recommendation?

I am considering these 2 options - Radeon RX580 8G or GeForce GTX 1660 StormX 6GB. Unfortunately the recommended Nvidia on steam is not on store anymore ( NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 3GB ). So I choose one with similar parameters.
I wonder if this recommended Nvidia GPU is correct on steam. It has only 3GB memory. Is that really enough?

From my experience Bannerlord barely exceeds 2gb GPU memory, so I kinda regret buying a 8gb one because my CPU is bottlenecking me a bit at this point.

That is strange because I have a AMD radeon RX550 with 2GB memory and when I checked the memory few times (during big battles) the memory was fully utilized (with very low video settings). It also shows in settings how much memory is required and basically everything above low settings increases it above 2GB.

If you plan on playing other games as well, you should consider at least 8GB...there are games out there eating that GPU ram :smile:
Also Nvidia seems to be close to announce their next generation of cards, so it might be wise to wait a while longer.

Both Rx 580 and GTX 1660 are similar in terms of performance, but rx 580 requires a better power supply (8 + 6 pin on most models), while gtx 1660 requires 8 pin.
So it depends on price in your region and quality of your power supply. If price is the same I would go for GTX 1660 because of *slightly* better performance and lower power consumption (therefore less heat in your system).

Just to make clear, both these cards are way better than gtx 1060 3gb and you won't be disappointed either way.

if u already have gpu and u do'nt upgrade lot liek once each 4 years or something den i think maybe safe bet waiting new generation of gpus den again that if u have functioning gpu that can get u by for like a year or somthing but 1660 is faster den 580 in most games in bannerlrod idk if u buying gpu soly for bannerlord i didn't see bencharks on those both gpus then again u can maybe see used market might yield a stronger gpu for ur budget check gtx 1070 980ti (make sure have decent powersupply) vega 56 , and also bannerlord as ppl said is cpu intesive so havign a good cpu is required else u ll bottleneck and won't get all performance outta ur gpu

I know this is just meant as a joke, but just to throw this in here, NEVER ever go SLi for games. Almost no game makes use of it and its not used as 2x100% GPU but 2x60% so you pay double the price for roughly 20% more performance. So when a game doesn't utilize both GPUs, you pretty much screw yourself over
On top of that many games don't start when you use 2 GPUs at once

Last edited:
Consider whether your monitor supports G-sync or Freesync...
Wou, this was helpful. Thanks. I actually have a new monitor which has freesync and it was off.

I was planning CPU and other upgrades for a longer time. But my plan is to first get new GPU in first step. After few months I will get the recommended AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600X with new motherboard, memory etc.

I know this is just meant as a joke, but just to throw this in here, NEVER ever go SLi for games. Almost no game makes use of it and its not used as 2x100% GPU but 2x60% so you pay double the price for roughly 20% more performance. So when a game doesn't utilize both GPUs, you pretty much screw yourself over
On top of that many games don't start when you use 2 GPUs at once

Would using a 2080ti a physx card be overkill? ?

If you are considering buying a graphics card, consider looking for used ones locally (ebay/facebook-maketplace or something like that)
The Radon 580 8GB I got was really cheap and 3 months old (cost me 100€ less than a GTX1660 Super from a store) ...

Since all the computer/review/tech tips sites praised the 1660 super as THE next big thing, it seems quite overhyped (price-wise) and you could save a lot of money going for a radeon card if you get a good deal - because as I see it, there are less people interested in buying those at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom