New faces (1.3.0-hotfix3?)

Users who are viewing this thread

When you compare before and after, the new faces look REALLY bad compared to the 1.1 / 1.2 faces which were a big improvement to the 1.0 faces.
Agreed. 1.3 effectively ruined all the cool 1.2 faces. And make-up??!! Seriously?!
Ira, Arwa, hell even Mesui... all the sweet babes looks ****ty now, I lost my appetite for marriage. :xf-cry:

They must be trying or testing something related to NPC appearances. Many faces (and bodies) have been changing with stealth patches. Sometimes some characters look "better", handcrafted (not necessarily prettier), while some look "worse", as if automatically generated, even if prettier (to some), as is the case with Abagai, and sometimes the other way.

Some pictures shown in the OP really do look unique (as if handcrafted) while some look generic. Some seemingly handcrafted faces, though, seem to have been used by more than one lord, as seems to be the case with Furnhard and Ulbos, for example. That might, however, be the working of a template system of some sort.

I am not a big fan of the Ira changes. I really liked her old look -- she had an angular face, really looked like a warrior. I imagined that she got some of that from Arenicos (who doesn't have a defined appearance).

She looks a lot more like Rhagaea now, which is probably the intent. But I am not sure how I feel about the makeup and more rounded face. Not sure that her appearance matches her warlike description as much anymore, to be honest.

I miss the old Ira face. Granted, the face could look weird at times -- especially looking weirdly crunched from the side -- and the new face looks a little better from the side. But I don't think her new face fits her that well?

edit: Some of the men look improved though -- Lucon looks excellent, and Pharon (southern empire lord) looks distinguished as well. So they did a good job with the old dudes I guess. On the other hand, I have zero idea what happened to Patyr and Eutropios.

Last edited:
Wow, what the hell are those faces? Few of them are good looking, but majority looks like a cheap caricatures. Absolutely hideous. And to be clear, I'm not some fan of medieval barbies type of NPC's but this ugliness is another extreme.

It might be just me, but has anybody else noticed some companion types seem to always look very similar if not the same with few differences? My "the Swordsmans", for example, always come with the big afro hair.
They're so forgettable and insignificant I don't remember any of them. Except Pryndor Fairhair, was his name I think. And he looks like all other peasants in the army anyway.

They're so forgettable and insignificant I don't remember any of them. Except Pryndor Fairhair, was his name I think. And he looks like all other peasants in the army anyway.

A lot of my companions have very narrow heads. Literal long face.
Not sure if thats the detailed character creation mod having a negative influence, but I notice it especially with the sturgian "the Lucky" dudes.

Also, pretty much every Aserai is a ginger. I Arabs can have blue/green eyes and blond/red hair, but I reckon this is rather rare...

I don't think they should create "permanent" companions. I mean they should not be the same, have the same names or the same looks or even the same attributes and skills in every game. While that does work and is a lot easier to do well (it's how it was done in Warband), it takes from the game's replayability since the companions will always be the same in every game. I like the way companions were implemented. A lot more things need to be done, however. The path they've chosen for Bannerlord in that regard is a lot harder, but has the potential to be so much better. The "random" companions should be given actual personalities and not just backstories. They need to react when you do things, like win (or lose) battles, raid villages or rather abandon armies that are about to etc. I'll never forget when Bagai the Fatherless told me not to raid villages again because "those people are just like my people". There were relationship bonuses and penalties according to my reaction to his statement and also for posterior actions. I've never seen any other reaction of this type from other companions, but it was enough to show me there's more planned for the game than meets the eye.

I don't think they should create "permanent" companions. I mean they should not be the same, have the same names or the same looks or even the same attributes and skills in every game. While that does work and is a lot easier to do well (it's how it was done in Warband), it takes from the game's replayability since the companions will always be the same in every game. I like the way companions were implemented. A lot more things need to be done, however. The path they've chosen for Bannerlord in that regard is a lot harder, but has the potential to be so much better. The "random" companions should be given actual personalities and not just backstories. They need to react when you do things, like win (or lose) battles, raid villages or rather abandon armies that are about to etc. I'll never forget when Bagai the Fatherless told me not to raid villages again because "those people are just like my people". There were relationship bonuses and penalties according to my reaction to his statement and also for posterior actions. I've never seen any other reaction of this type from other companions, but it was enough to show me there's more planned for the game than meets the eye.
We need both.

when they release the editor i will make a cartoon face mod for troops and random face villagers. I liked them much more than now, which are all the same.

when they release the editor i will make a cartoon face mod for troops and random face villagers. I liked them much more than now, which are all the same.
Cartoonish or realistic faces is a matter of design choice. Both can be well made (or not). Realistic faces are easier to do wrong, though. It's harder to do cartoonish faces wrong, but still possible if they're lazily made. Bannerlord seems to be trying a mix. Rhagaea's face, for example, looks quite well done. She's pretty, but she didn't need to be in order to look well done. I wouldn't describe her face as cartoonish at all, though it's clearly a "game" face. There are faces that are well done in the game and also faces that are awful. I hope they eventually work on that. There are so many things they need to work on, though, that sometimes I doubt they will actually be able to tackle everything, even if only eventually.

Last edited:
It is necessary to add that companions of opposing nature conflict. and that companions of different cultures told the stories of Calradia.

It is necessary to add that companions of opposing nature conflict. and that companions of different cultures told the stories of Calradia.
Perfect. That would add complexity to the game and take party management to a new level. Players would need to plan what to, what companions to take along and who to send to do what in order to avoid relation penalties (maybe chase bonuses).

Back
Top Bottom