New collision for trees problem. Collision only slows down player.

Users who are viewing this thread

gutekfiutek

Knight at Arms
Hi guys
I  need to make new collision for trees/rocks (for Polished landscapes mod).
I know about this collision system using spheres, capsules etc.
But for my rocks I need collision created from mesh (manifold), so player  (and AIs) will be able to walk on top of those rocks.
By the way, those rocks are quite big (size of building).
I've done some modding and collision meshes before, so I did this for those trees/rocks.
Exactly the same way I  made collision for other meshes. Collision is properly rotated, closed, triangulated object, matches display model exactly.
So I imported this to brf (using 0.8.9 versionof brf Edit). Everything worked correctly, no errors at all.
In game i tried to walk/ride into this collision, and it slowed me down, only in some places it stopped me.
I could ride through this object - slowly.
Collision is there, i shot few arrows and they hit this collision.

So my question is: anyone knows what is going on, why collision stops player in some places, and just slows him down in others?
Maybe it works differently with trees/rocks?

I can use this simple coliision models (capsules, spheres etc.) but it will be more complicated than manfold coll.

G.

Its simply because in M&B footmen can climb over almost any grade short of 90% just slowly.  They can also use anything as a step provided that it is less than a couple feet tall.  Ruthven made ladders at a 70% grade and the character still climbs them.  It just takes some time.  But the using stuff as a step and the climbing crazy grades are combining to mean that characters are climbing the rocks instead of going around them.

Problem is that I'm able to walk into collision - and inside collision I walk slower.
So for example i have rock with collision, when I try to walk into this rock, I'm still walking on the ground, just slower than usual.
edit:
ok, here are files  -
http://www.sendspace.com/file/6t7lvq
those big rocks have this strange collision  - models are only rough "temlates"
Whenever you place them by hand - it's ok, but on randomly generated terrains those strange collision problems appear

Looking fantastic, man. Keep up the good work.
And good luck with your collision model problem, wish I could help.

really strange, never met this before.
what is that big rock? I mean did you add it into flora kind, or scene prop kind?
I think maybe MnB has different setting for these different things, there is no AI mesh in the random field, too many solid would make all the AI troops like retard men, so the dev setted it so?

oh, another thing, did you test those right after you added them? try to save the scene, quit, then come back and test. some times the collision models wont work until you reloaded the scene.

Big rock is in xtree_meshes, just where  old rocks were. I simply replaced them with bigger one - and this bigger is not working properly.
So those rocks are placed by game engine, when I place them by hand - they work OK.
WilliamBerne said:
I think maybe MnB has different setting for these different things, there is no AI mesh in the random field, too many solid would make all the AI troops like retard men, so the dev setted it so?
I really dont think so (hardcoding size limit for collision is not really good way for daeling with AI's.... so I don't think they made it hat way)

Maybe someone knows who i can ask from Taleworlds team?
I mean some people told me to ask Armagan, but i think he's pretty busy person...
Who is environment artist in TW?

I'm quite sure that armagan is the right person to ask, he's the programmer and it seems to be more of a graphical programming issue. Just PM him, it's possible that you won't get an answer. It's worth trying, though.

I'm not sure if it is engine specific, but for some engines collision meshes have to be convex.

Ok, I've made some tests, I found a bug with collision.
Trees scattered by game engine on battle maps are scaled (some are small, some big...)
So collision for those objects is not scaled (I mean manifold collision, I need to check parametric one).
This mean that manifold collision (at least made by me) don't match display models.
Additionally only vertical faces work as collision - if face points upwards - it will only slow down player - interestingly i can jump on those faces (and slide down)

Here is movie I've made:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y27InwGctk0

This bug is present inNative - it's just hardly noticeable. But it will be annoying in multiplayer...

Back
Top Bottom