New City Map Prototype [captain mode]

Users who are viewing this thread

SirTimothy

Recruit
Hey folks! In anticipation of the map editing tools being released (at some point) I decided to whip up a prototype/whitebox for a new city map layout. The intent is to address some of the issues with the (now deprecated) city map
Youtube Video (map overview)

CMrNw61.png

Issues this layout (hopefully) addresses:
  • Wider lanes (outer ring & main boulevard) allow easier cavalry movement to assert map control and contest capture points
  • Height variation in addition to more open spaces provides vantage points and escape routes for more archer viability
  • Slight asymmetry and difference in capture point spacial layouts should result in more varied and dynamic matchups
nFj0Gdh.jpg

Arrows indicate pathways that are obstructed (in this image) by overhanging geometry

Additional notes
  • Spawn 1 is closest to flag C, creating a natural capture point. Spawn 2 is closest to Flag B, creating their natural capture point.
  • Flag A is evenly spaced between the 2 spawnpoints. This creates a choice for both teams, which direction to take. That choice should be informed by unit compositions and scouting for enemy movements.
  • This is an early concept, so spacial relations, visual elements and additional movement and slight blockers will be wildly iterated on when I get to prototype & test with the actual map editor tools
  • Different map layouts can aid, but not fix inherent unit and faction balance

fIv6txo.jpg

I had fun making this and am greatly looking forward to modding & map making support in the future!
Hopefully some new Captain Mode maps will come out as well as faction balance changes, which should change up the current meta and provide a fresh experience :smile:
Don't be too harsh on Taleworlds and give them some time to flesh things out. Hopefully future updates will bring positive changes for the multiplayer scene!

tfw the community is so desperate for modding tools we fire up blender to theorycraft the maps regardless

Haha yeah. Custom servers and modding tools are going to be a gamechanger. Increased retention as there's much more content around to keep players occupied & a boost to the competitive scene. Would strengthen the community as a whole tbh.
Let's hope they get it out sooner rather than later :wink:

Back
Top Bottom