New Character Creation proposals for 1.34 (brainstorming)

Users who are viewing this thread

Oh, I thought you were quoting Idibil  :lol:

Thats the essential point to make regarding character generation. While it would be nice to make it the way we want, the hard truth is it will require alot of work for what amounts to 30 min of gameplay. How long does it take to make a character and get a warband going with some coin in the pocket?
Quite true I suppose. I haven't had the time to actually insert any numbers and test how it goes. Lack of available time for this on my side is readily apparent. But I do believe with the new system you'll get different gameplay for longer then just 30 min :wink:

I prefer to have the modders spending there time doing things that will have more reaching effects in gameplay. New map, raiding, graphics is always nice, rebalencing of all the forces, cool little features like the salt mine. There are alot of items that can impact long term gameplay.
Idibil won't be coding and extensively testing this so he can focus his work on his things.

Hister said:
Oh, I thought you were quoting Idibil  :lol:

Thats the essential point to make regarding character generation. While it would be nice to make it the way we want, the hard truth is it will require alot of work for what amounts to 30 min of gameplay. How long does it take to make a character and get a warband going with some coin in the pocket?
Quite true I suppose. I haven't had the time to actually insert any numbers and test how it goes. Lack of available time for this on my side is readily apparent. But I do believe with the new system you'll get different gameplay for longer then just 30 min :wink:

I prefer to have the modders spending there time doing things that will have more reaching effects in gameplay. New map, raiding, graphics is always nice, rebalencing of all the forces, cool little features like the salt mine. There are alot of items that can impact long term gameplay.
Idibil won't be coding and extensively testing this so he can focus his work on his things.

good  :cool:

If my suggestion has already been said or already in place in game please forgive me. Just trying to add an idea that would make it funfor everyone and more replay vaule

It be nice if you do start out with a harder overal gameplay start if somewhere along the road there is a side quest to make you wanna actually have a more of a reason to start that way.

Ie.if you start as a slave you get a chance to free yourfamily or find the person who owned them or some suchand set them free or maybe even start a quest to free slaves lol. This would add replay vaule andmake starting a certain way more appealing.

Id be willing to write some story lines for the back grounds if needed. I have tons of ideas on how to make late game questfun and worth playing again just to be able to do all the quest.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

You should add this to the suggestions thread ... more quests would be good, this team has added a few already and I enjoy them as well.  It would actually be a neat if some of your companions were actually family that you had to find not sure if it would be difficult I guess they could not mention their faction so as to not ruin the players immersion in the game ... it would also be far more valuable to retrieve a companion in this way then some sword.

dutch81 said:
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

You should add this to the suggestions thread ... more quests would be good, this team has added a few already and I enjoy them as well.  It would actually be a neat if some of your companions were actually family that you had to find not sure if it would be difficult I guess they could not mention their faction so as to not ruin the players immersion in the game ... it would also be far more valuable to retrieve a companion in this way then some sword.

There is a mod (Battle for Hindustan), where upon character generation, you can choose a wife, which is cool :smile: (reason for adventuring: got away with the emir's new wife)

@Vezek - that is certainly a nice suggestion but since it is not only connected to character creation system itself it should be as said also posted in the Suggestions thread.

Since you are willing to directly contribute to this mod I advice you to contact Idibil via PM and pitch him your suggestion. Be short and try to summarise as much as possible in few sentences. If you get him interested into the idea discuss details. Write down quests and send them to Idibil who will code them in if he sees their inclusion worthwhile. You certainly got me interested there with how character creation system can have more of a meaning and inpact in the game itself!

You can create 9 different quests based on "Vocation" (current Job) category options. Since character creation system is still in the making there might be some changes but Lesser Noble, Slave, Merchant, Lesser Lord's retainer, Fully Free Peasant, Bard will most probably be included so you can start writing quests for them. You can also make new quests based on character ethnicity (People category) if you have any ideas. Childhood options are also an interesting choice here.
The base rule should be not to overextend yourself. Start humbly and consistently and if the idea works expand on it.

To elaborate on your idea a bit more I suggest making those quests available only to corresponding character Vocation option. If you are Lesser noble the NPC that you might encounter won't talk with you about the matter but if your Vocation was Slave then he will be more then willing to speak out with you. You can also make another category that the main quest is given to you if you prove yourself worthy also if you don't have proper Vocation (with the most extreme options ruled out like no noble can undertake liberate slaves quest) by doing a secondary quest first. There are limitless options really. That would as you said really add to the re-playability - some players would be interested in choosing another combo just for the sake of those quests (which should have substantial effect on the game itself).

Time is slowly running out so if you want to see it included in the next version do start working on the idea NOW  :grin: 

reason for adventuring: got away with the emir's new wife
Ha ha ha, cool!  :razz:

Howitzer said:
Couldn't we use this guide for the names like noble, slave, free peasant, .. ?

That's the site I used for Father options. I would rather stick with English names since not many people would understand the native ones. Besides, those are Anglo-Saxon words - Brits most likely used other words for the same classes. Sure everybody can read the text and get it what the "Ceorl" means but still...

Sorry for multiple posting!

Update: Looks like I can't deliver the final product. Had no time for a while now to tackle with this project. Maybe Idibil finds something useful in the first post. There are quite many things present already.

What remains to be done are the items that needed to be assigned to each occupation and attributes and skills allotted in such a way hat it affects the game as I seek for. Yeah, text should be added also but that is not such a hard thing to do.

Dunno exactly when Idibil releases new version, if not soon then I might add a bit of text or whatnot... 

mikeyman89 said:
hmm looks nice so far how about becoming a son of a actual lord i think that would be banging

Thanx mikey. Erm, what do you mean by becoming a son - you mean an adoptee?

i mean like for those who want a little advance they could just start out as a son of one of the lords (a little role playing i guess) but idk im just brainstorming it would prob be a pain in the ass to write all the codes and what not for this

Mikeyman, great idea. I think it would be really cool if you could start as the son of one of the Kings and as the game progresses, the king dies and you ascend to the throne and expand the empire :smile:

about age, well during Dark Ages, people were considered young and fit at age of 15-16, at the age of 30 were expirenced and "old". It sounds stupid, but then people didn't live too long.

Uhtred Ragnarson said:
Hister said:
Dunno what was life expectancy but I'm guessing it was around 40-45.

indeed, but as always, it depends on your social class.

The relatively low life expectancies were mostly due to extremely high infant mortality. If you made it until 15 your chances to live to 50+ were much better.

Back
Top Bottom