OSP Animations New Animations Mod

Users who are viewing this thread

dreamterror said:
No, the parry animations replace completely the old ones.
I've made several parry animations for every attack direction, so they come on random now.

But yet only for twohanded combat :wink:

Here, a video of version 0.3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6Zgr89iSQc

Shiny, I must try adding multiple parries myself.

Shiny, I must try adding multiple parries myself.

Aye, it works just like with every other animation.

But:

You have 3 different types for every animation. Let's take the parry against attacks from above for example.
You have an animation to hold (Player moves his weapon in defence)
An animation to keep (Player stays in this position)
And an animation for parry (The player moves his defence a bit, so it looks like the weapon was hit)

I've taken the third animation for my "active" parries. But as you may have noticed, the player moves a bit to late (when the enemy would already hit him).
I've looked for something to do the defence animation a bit earlier, but I have not found anything....

Yeah, I'm probably just going to replace the holding animation.

Unfortunatley you are going to run into this trouble using dynamic moves, the system isn't built for them :sad: Try trimming off some frames from the begining of the animation.. it may help

Hello guys,

after it has been quiete for a while, I now made a new version (0.4) of "new animations" Mod.
Download as usual under  http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=1498

So what has changed?

I reworked most of the 2handed combat animations - the look now really better.
And now you can aim every attack, as it was in the native version. So no more missing the enemy :wink:
Moreover I made a lot of new 1handed combat animations - of course with the aiming function as well.

Poorly I had to remove the blocking animations from version 0.3, becausethe neither looked naturally nor came up in time.
I will try to take care of this "timing" based problem, but in the meantime you will have to settle for the native blockings.

So these are not warband animations? I would love to get ahold of some new animations for warband. Shield bash and shoulder slam would be killer.  Side step/when you have a foot move back  and side ways to dodge a blow by making your body go from head on profile to side profile. 

It's great that someone is doing completely new melee animations! We can always shuffle in some more.

Unfortunately, your anims are not really very fitting for the current system, since they include too much forward-backward body movement. While it is good for the fencing simulation, it's not ok for the M&B one, because
1) there's too much clipping between fighters sometimes, since they finish their strike "inside" an opponent, as they move forward a lot during the strike for some of anims.
2) AI messes up its strike distance because it was not programmed to account for additional body movement during strike
3) really, people in armor can't do such quick movements backward, because inertia from quick forward body move is still there, and backward move looks out of place. I understand that it was necessary to move back like this under current MB system, as fighter position should not change - but that's why I said current system is not for your type of animations

EDIT: 1)2) are most relevant for 2h_oben / 2h_ober_l / 2h_unter_l as those seem to have the biggest body movement forward
3) is relevant for all. The animations would really benefit from longer return-backwards phase. Even if this would make you more vulnerable for counterattack.

And playing them long enough in OpenBRF BSODs my PC  :grin:

One thing about warband animations I hate is the fact you recover way to fast from your attacks.  Its like a badly edited video or sound when it looks smooth then all of sudden something too fast happens.  Its not true for all animations I like 2 hand over head. But some others reset to ready or starting frame too soon.

So these are not warband animations? I would love to get ahold of some new animations for warband. Shield bash and shoulder slam would be killer.  Side step/when you have a foot move back  and side ways to dodge a blow by making your body go from head on profile to side profile.

No these are not warband anims. Maybe I'll do something to import them to warband also - we will see.
Yes, a shield bash would be great. As well as a "ripping" attack for halberds, to trip your opponent up for example. It should be  possible via "set animation" in mission templates, but I don' know much about that :wink:

1) there's too much clipping between fighters sometimes, since they finish their strike "inside" an opponent, as they move forward a lot during the strike for some of anims.

Yes, here you are definitely right. I looked up to change the default attacking distance of enemies, but I was not succesful yet.
See it as an attack with the pommel :grin:

2) AI messes up its strike distance because it was not programmed to account for additional body movement during strike

Hmm, I've tried to figure out what you mean, but mostly the opponent hit you as well...
Also in native your opponent sometimes does an attacking move even he is far away from you.

3) really, people in armor can't do such quick movements backward, because inertia from quick forward body move is still there, and backward move looks out of place. I understand that it was necessary to move back like this under current MB system, as fighter position should not change - but that's why I said current system is not for your type of animations

The backwards move is not part of the animation itself. In fact the anims end when you are at the foremost place. It is the game engine that "beams" you back to the starting point. Maybe I could intergrate a "step" that brings you back - so the movement would look a bit more natural. Even it is a bit dumb related to real combat tactics :wink:

2. With your animations it looks like AI consistently underestimates his reach. Because he has preprogrammed radius, and your anims have farther reach due to body movement

3. Exactly my point. You can insert some frames into anims right after the foremost phase, showing fighter regaining balance and actually stepping back (not mirroring the movement back). This would make things more natural

I would love to add them to my warband mod if you can get the reach issues fixed and ported to warband.  If there is a tutorial out on warband animation porting and I does not take much artistic skill or knowledge of animation I could do it myself or attempt it.

I have converted it now for warband as well.
Moreover I made a new thread about it, that doesnt contain that much modding stuff, but shall focus on the content. See here:
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,116059.0.html

Please use this new thread for questions and suggestions.

To the previous mentioned issus: The thing wit hthe step forward etc: let's first look, how it will do in multiplayer, because people behave different than AI :wink: Maybe there will be no need to change that...

I get a runtime error when i start the game in native, with hunt mod for example i can run this game. What is my problem here ? Thx a lot for this interesting mod  :grin:

I get a runtime error when i start the game in native, with hunt mod for example i can run this game. What is my problem here ? Thx a lot for this interesting mod

What do you play? The original game or warband?

Hmm, hard to say... And you didn't do any changes in the native folder before?

Alright,this is kind of a different question,but apparently you guys know this phyton stuff better than I do,so no harm in asking.

I've made a new death animation in blender with the blender exporter. This animation is called "fall_head_front2", it is 8 frames long and it's interval is 0-24.

I've placed this animation into skeletons.brf,so there are two animation files in skeletons.brf

1-"anim_human"
2-"fall_head_front2"

I've edited the module_animations.py with idle,changed

"["fall_head_front", acf_enforce_all|acf_align_with_ground|acf_lock_camera,
  [1.2, "anim_human", blow+100, blow+138, arf_blend_in_16|arf_make_custom_sound, pack2f(0.8, 0.0), (0,0,0), 0.8], "

To

[1.2, "fall_head_front2", 0, 24, arf_blend_in_16|arf_make_custom_sound, pack2f(0.8, 0.0), (0,0,0), 0.8],"

Now,when my supposed animation plays,the troop who dies just disappears instead of playing my animation.
Could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

~Ãbyss

[1.2, "fall_head_front2", 0, 24, arf_blend_in_16|arf_make_custom_sound, pack2f(0.8, 0.0), (0,0,0), 0.8],"

Sorry for the late answer. I should check the forums more often :smile:

I'm not sure, what you did wrong, but you could try this:

[1.2, "fall_head_front2", blow+0, blow+24, arf_blend_in_16|arf_make_custom_sound, pack2f(0.8, 0.0), (0,0,0), 0.8],"

The red marked: The "blow" is just a number, that is simply added to all your frames. In this case it is 40000 (see in the top of the python script).

So your frames should be from 40000 to 40024.
Like this: 40000, 40005, 40010, 40014, 40017.... Of course I don't knwo your exact numbers...
You will have to add to all your 8 frames 40000 in Open BRF.

I have problems with your mod. Everytime I replace the actions.txt file it crashes my module. Skeleton works fine. Any idea as to what might be causing this crash. And I have tested extensively to make sure it's the actions.txt file.

Leifr Eiríksson said:
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2010, 09:51:16 AM »

Good job.

Ok, so the last post was 2010, doesn't mean there's nobody gonna answer xD after all, you answered.

Back
Top Bottom