Need help with correcting textures transferred from Iron Europe to Between Empires

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi all!
I guess many of you, seasoned players, are already well acquainted with these 2 mods.

Iron Europe happens to have a very beautiful German great coat (G15) that I wish to take into Between Empires.

I am familiar with the process of shifting models into a new mod, but this time it creates many problems.

The texture of the great coat itself is fine, but all textures for military paraphernalia blank out in the mod.

Before loading "Between Empires", I encounter these following problems:

"Shader could not be found
envmap_shader_noskin_bump_colorspec
specular_shader_colorspec
specular_shader_skin_bump_colorspec
envmap_shader_instanced_bump_colorspec
envmap_shader_instanced_bump_colorspec"

Upon closer scrutinies from OpenBrf, these shaders are all associated with the textures I wish to add.

Do you know how can I fix these problems. I have looked into shader files but I could not find out how to fix these problems.

Do you happen to have the source code of both modifications (HLSL/ GLSL [if applicable for Linux/ Mac OSX] shaders included)?

Assuming it is for your personal use, you must pack the mesh, its material and texture entry into a BRF file registered in module.ini of your target mod which also must have the right texture in its Textures folder. If the issue still persists, you may try changing the shaders to ones found in core_shaders.brf or its counterpart of your target mod; you may also port the right shaders if the initial mod has its shaders published.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Do you happen to have the source code of both modifications (HLSL/ GLSL [if applicable for Linux/ Mac OSX] shaders included)?

Assuming it is for your personal use, you must pack the mesh, its material and texture entry into a BRF file registered in module.ini of your target mod which also must have the right texture in its Textures folder. If the issue still persists, you may try changing the shaders to ones found in core_shaders.brf or its counterpart of your target mod; you may also port the right shaders if the initial mod has its shaders published.
Thank you for your gentle suggestion.

The problem with shaders is gone for good now.

However, the problem of loading textures is still persisting.

Originally, I thought shaders are the causes of missing textures. However, now that shaders are completely gone, the missing texture problem is still an issue.

I've tried to do the following to circumvent the problems.

I delete all meshes and create new one, linking them to the correct textures.

These meshes don't have:
DiffuseA
DiffuseB
Bump
Enviro
Specular

If they are set to "none" or "0". Everything is fine.

But if I try to reset them so that they resemble the original deleted meshes, the game couldn't load the textures and blank out.

Here are some images of the Stahlhelm:

With the greatcoat, if I just port meshes and textures to my personal mod, it only load textures of the greatcoat, but not cartridge pouches and belts.

Funnier, the models of backpacks, straps, belts and cartridge pouches are all detached from the coat.

Now, if I delete all meshes of belts, pouches and straps, re-create them without specular maps or Diffuse, then it works.

But the result is very flat and unpolished

These are textures that are flat and unpolished, but are loadable in-game:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Use OpenBRF to scan the target module for errors; the most common one is that load order of resources is not correct; also, inspect module.ini to see if textures are loaded first, then materials second, then meshes third. Out of the above, let's break them down:
  1. DiffuseA - primary texture, must be used to render a mesh without that whiteness effect,
  2. DiffuseB - secondary texture, mostly unused,
  3. Bump - bump texture, makes for depth effect,
  4. Enviro - additional texture, determines what parts of a mesh reflect the environment,
  5. Specular - additional texture, determines what parts of a mesh reflect the environment light; paired with metallic surfaces.
If setting DiffuseA (which is mandatory) does not help, you may reuse some textures from your target mod, but you will have to inspect UV maps of the items you want to enhance.

Upvote 0
Use OpenBRF to scan the target module for errors; the most common one is that load order of resources is not correct; also, inspect module.ini to see if textures are loaded first, then materials second, then meshes third. Out of the above, let's break them down:
This is something I don't quite understand. When I try to enable the games to load new items that I have added, all I have to do is to add a line of "load_mod_resource = xxx.brf". This will let the game load the items.

But what I am not familiar with is how to order the game to load textures first, materials second and meshes third.

How do you do this?

If setting DiffuseA (which is mandatory) does not help, you may reuse some textures from your target mod, but you will have to inspect UV maps of the items you want to enhance.

Somehow, I suspect that it is the specs that give rise to problems that I am facing at the moment.

Generally, I don't understand where these problems come from.

Thank you for your patience.

Upvote 0
I included an explanation in the same sentence. Just use OpenBRF to scan for errors and if there are none, you are good to go. I have no idea after this point since I do not know these two modules and their contents.
I have used "Scan module for errors" (Crtl+E).

It lists a lot of errors (555+). I have checked almost all of them and none refers to the texture of Stahlhelm.

Most of these errors are "could not find meshes", referred in "item_kinds 1"

How do you instruct module.ini to:

inspect module.ini to see if textures are loaded first, then materials second, then meshes third.
Is there a special way to do this? Because my brf is packed into one. I thought I could just put it "load_mod_resource" before the name of the relevant brf and everything will magically work out.

Upvote 0
I have used "Scan module for errors" (Crtl+E).

It lists a lot of errors (555+). I have checked almost all of them and none refers to the texture of Stahlhelm.

Most of these errors are "could not find meshes", referred in "item_kinds 1"

How do you instruct module.ini to:

Is there a special way to do this? Because my brf is packed into one. I thought I could just put it "load_mod_resource" before the name of the relevant brf and everything will magically work out.
The above does not apply then. The pool of possible solutions has been exhausted; you have to try what I proposed on your own. Normally it should be working, I do not know anything new past this point.

Upvote 0
The above does not apply then. The pool of possible solutions has been exhausted; you have to try what I proposed on your own. Normally it should be working, I do not know anything new past this point.
Whatever the outcome, I really appreciate your help and patience.

Thank you for spending time helping me.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I can't move it by myself, it's outside of my section. But I reported it to be moved into thw Modding Q&A section (done by now).

Regarding your problem with the meshes and textures, you will need to read through all the error messages at OpenBRF, it Is highly likely that there is one also for the Stahlhelm etc. It would anyway be a good start to work down that list to fix your module :wink:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Haven't read everything here but these are NW or WFAS shaders. As long as you added the shader brf to your mod + the mb.fx it will work fine. If you don't use their shader file you could change the shaders above to native ones. Sadly there is no shader in native that reads the color from specmaps.

I honestly don't get it, i changed the shaders to support colored specmaps instead the "more precision black and white ones" and i don't see any difference on the quality.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Haven't read everything here but these are NW or WFAS shaders. As long as you added the shader brf to your mod + the mb.fx it will work fine. If you don't use their shader file you could change the shaders above to native ones. Sadly there is no shader in native that reads the color from specmaps.

I honestly don't get it, i changed the shaders to support colored specmaps instead the "more precision black and white ones" and i don't see any difference on the quality.
What do you mean by this response?

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom