Need help on sieges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello , I want to siege a castle but I don't know what to do. I need someone to explain me what to do because there are a lot of options but i don't know if im doing something wrong etc. So if someone can simply explain me the steps to siege a castle. Thanks.

Step 1: Be hostile to the faction owning the place.
Done?  Did you kill some villagers or something?  Good.  Whatever, just make sure they are hostile.

Step 2: Go to the place, with enough men.
How many is enough?  I don't know, but if you want to win, lets say more than fifty men probably.  A lot more if you actually want to win.

Step 3: Click on the place.
You should get the option to siege.

Step 4: Make ladders or whatever it takes to get inside.
It should be in one of the (Siege management) options, or whatever they are called, I can't remember the exact term.

Step 5: Wait for the stuff to be built.
Try to remember to have a little food so you don't get a morale penalty if it takes too long.

Step 6: Attack.  It should be an option in the same place as building the stuff to attack.
Try to win.

Or you could just do a coastal assault if it is a port.  Make them mad, put your men in boats, go to the port to dock, attack.

Yusuf_Persian said:
Hello , I want to siege a castle but I don't know what to do. I need someone to explain me what to do because there are a lot of options but i don't know if im doing something wrong etc. So if someone can simply explain me the steps to siege a castle. Thanks.

To give you specific advice relating to your question:

If you want to storm the castle Warband-style you do it this way:

Under 'Siege Assault' - You can construct ladders, then go back and 'wait till tomorrow' or however long it takes to build the ladders.

- Then you have the option under 'Siege Assault' to send your vanguard to lay the ladders, you will lose some men by default this way. After this you can lead an assault up the ladders they placed. Basically just click the long wordy option that replaces the 'Construct ladders' option every time.

- At any time during this you can also select to 'Construct Mantlets' under 'Siege Assault', this in theory can reduce your casualties from when your vanguard lays the ladders for your assault, you can do this at the same time as constructing ladders so i'd recommend you do this at the same time if you're planning to use them.

- If you're waiting then you might want to go to 'Siege Management' and improve the sanitation, you lose 10 morale but it reduces the chance of men dying through illness as you wait. Though i dont usually need it for a fast assault.

- The last time i did a siege there was a glitch whereby you could select 'construct ladders', then immediately select 'send vanguard to lay them', then immediately attack. This way no time passed on the world map, seemed kinda broken and gave 0 chance for any bad random siege events to happen.

The alternative is to try and starve them out, i havent done this successfully yet but you can play around with the other options available to you.

Heskeytime said:
Yusuf_Persian said:

To give you specific advice relating to your question:

If you want to storm the castle Warband-style you do it this way:

Under 'Siege Assault' - You can construct ladders, then go back and 'wait till tomorrow' or however long it takes to build the ladders.

- Then you have the option under 'Siege Assault' to send your vanguard to lay the ladders, you will lose some men by default this way. After this you can lead an assault up the ladders they placed. Basically just click the long wordy option that replaces the 'Construct ladders' option every time.

- At any time during this you can also select to 'Construct Mantlets' under 'Siege Assault', this in theory can reduce your casualties from when your vanguard lays the ladders for your assault, you can do this at the same time as constructing ladders so i'd recommend you do this at the same time if you're planning to use them.

- If you're waiting then you might want to go to 'Siege Management' and improve the sanitation, you lose 10 morale but it reduces the chance of men dying through illness as you wait. Though i dont usually need it for a fast assault.

- The last time i did a siege there was a glitch whereby you could select 'construct ladders', then immediately select 'send vanguard to lay them', then immediately attack. This way no time passed on the world map, seemed kinda broken and gave 0 chance for any bad random siege events to happen.

The alternative is to try and starve them out, i havent done this successfully yet but you can play around with the other options available to you.

Yeah but when i try to attack -clicking 'send your vanguard to lay the ladders' or sth like that- only my men attacks but we have 2 army laying to siege and my ally's army doesn't come into an assault. Why just i fight with defenders?

seriousgigi said:
Yeah but when i try to attack -clicking 'send your vanguard to lay the ladders' or sth like that- only my men attacks but we have 2 army laying to siege and my ally's army doesn't come into an assault. Why just i fight with defenders?

Wish i knew.

Tbh that always happened to me even on native when i waited the full time, if i initiated the siege i'd always go in alone. So i'm in the habit of either attacking completely alone, or making sure i can get an AI lord to do the attack then join him, in native it worked even better because AI build siege towers far quicker than a human player.

In this DLC it's good to have a lord initiate the siege because if an AI lord takes it they can get a large free garrison there, once i had a lord with 100 men lead the attack plus me with 100 men, after we won and took the fort the garrison was over 200! And we still had all our men, whereas if i took it i'd need to put my own garrison inside at the cost of my own troops.

Yeah but i have only one castle so i want to take this city for myself. My army consist of 100 soldiers. (20 frankish knights) I can't take city alone. When i asked AI to siege and after i joined him, AI demands this city for himself and i can't use 'taking city bonus' for elections. (i don't know do you understand what i mean) So i can't take city again.

ps: sorry for my bad english. in turkey, english education is not good :sad:

seriousgigi said:
Yeah but i have only one castle so i want to take this city for myself. My army consist of 100 soldiers. (20 frankish knights) I can't take city alone. When i asked AI to siege and after i joined him, AI demands this city for himself. So i can't take city again.

If you truly want a castle/city for yourself you have to capture it for yourself. That in itself isn't a guarantee but otherwise someone else will usually wind up with it. It's a problem with M&B in general, you should quickly recruit as many vikingr as possible and storm the castle alone.

Also your English is fine  :razz:

seriousgigi said:
Where can i recruit vikingr? I just see them in battle against me as raider like thieves.

Generic vikingr are found in Ireland but ignore that. Go to Northumbria, the Kingdom below Scotland and above Mercia. Then at the far north east of their kingdom you should find the area where Northumbrian Vikinr spawn, they're basically top tier units with chain. Then walk up to one of their parties.
It must:
A. Be smaller than you
B. You need at least 3000 gold
C. You need to have 30+ soldiers I believe
D. You need to have space for their prisoners

Then you can walk up to one that runs from you and offer them money to join your party. If they attack just click leave and rechat them until they accept. Instant army  :twisted:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/48700/discussions/0/619573787485246919/

Type / Speed / Max Crew / Approximate New Price for Oak
Byrding / 9 / 7 / 7500
Knorr / 7 / 11 / 8500
Snekkja / 17 / 27 / 21000
Karvi / 12 / 39 / 23000
Skeid / 20 / 55 / 34000
Busse / 16 / 90 / 49000

You can buy 2x Busse or 1 Busse and 1 Skeid. (These ships only made in Norway) And i recruited 88 vikingr upon your advice, so took Ynys Mon alone thanks to you.

seriousgigi said:
Yeah but i have only one castle so i want to take this city for myself. My army consist of 100 soldiers. (20 frankish knights) I can't take city alone. When i asked AI to siege and after i joined him, AI demands this city for himself and i can't use 'taking city bonus' for elections. (i don't know do you understand what i mean) So i can't take city again.

I understand, and your english is excellent i would have assumed you were a native speaker.

If you want the city for yourself the above advice is good, get as many elite troops as possible, you'll tear through the enemy garrison even on hardest settings. What i do is beat as many armies in the field as possible, get rich off prisoners and loot, then buy as many 'Veterans', 'Svear Warriors' and 'Frankish Cavalry' as i can find. It can be expensive but it works for me, i manage to balance costs and i've never had to recruit any prisoners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom