[Need help] 3DS max 2012 rigging (SMD)

Users who are viewing this thread

Hi !

I'm a young french modder and i have some trouble since two months:

Rigging don't work for me =D NEVER !

(Generally when i import my "rigged mesh" into OpenBrf the soft crash)

Note: i'm motivated to make my own models (for training) and i try to know how make proper models.
In this case i'm trying to make multiple models. If you have suggestion about this, i'm interested.

I'm working on 3DS max 2012 - with the SMD exporter/importer (for 2012)

My low poly mesh with the "skin" modifier and the Skeleton (from other model) (my model is an Obj.)

i have add bones

And after the rigging when i wan't to export my SMD (option "reference" with the smd exporter/importer) and import it to open-brf "with rigged mesh option" the soft crash.

If someone have some experience in rigging to help-me please !  :dead:

(PS: sorry for my practice of English, i'm a beginner)

hey ordionarry max dont get the idea that you using multiple rigged meshes when you exporting it.
so it exports everything including what is hidden (if i remeber correctly your scene shouldnt have any additional not rigged parts only bones and rigged meshes)

easyest way to start rigging is import obj in OpenBRF, copy rigging from an existing armor and paste it on your model.
then export it to SMD
and then import it in 3ds max (after that i would recomend export it from max and check if you can still import it back in OpenBRF)
if everything works you can start rigging job
(sometimes in transaction of importing exporting you can get some vertex with have doubled bone value with different values - that most of the time is the problem for bugged rigging and sometimes for crashes)
to avoid it - it is not bad to to go in addvanced parrameters (at the bottom of skin menu) limit bones affect limit (to 3 or 4 (cant remeber if it allows more)) and remove zero weights (by enetering value around 0.005 (or a bit higher))

rgcotl said:
hey ordionarry max dont get the idea that you using multiple rigged meshes when you exporting it.
so it exports everything including what is hidden (if i remeber correctly your scene shouldnt have any additional not rigged parts only bones and rigged meshes)

easyest way to start rigging is import obj in OpenBRF, copy rigging from an existing armor and paste it on your model.
then export it to SMD
and then import it in 3ds max (after that i would recomend export it from max and check if you can still import it back in OpenBRF)
if everything works you can start rigging job
(sometimes in transaction of importing exporting you can get some vertex with have doubled bone value with different values - that most of the time is the problem for bugged rigging and sometimes for crashes)
to avoid it - it is not bad to to go in addvanced parrameters (at the bottom of skin menu) limit bones affect limit (to 3 or 4 (cant remeber if it allows more)) and remove zero weights (by enetering value around 0.005 (or a bit higher))

Hi rgcotl !

Your advices are really usefull ! It works !

Thank you very much :smile:

Back
Top Bottom