need advice : army of 38/54 upkeep is killing me and I'm not sure what to do

Users who are viewing this thread

Karmah

Recruit
Hello ,
This is my first run on this game serie. Realistic settings everywhere and death enabled. I kinda like it but currently I 'lm kinda stuck. I have random companions recruted without knowing what to do. I manage to get a relatively ok army with a third upgraded to the tier before last and the rest not so far behind. Quest do not give me enough gold to justify the cost . My upkeep is at 208 gold/day. I hesitate to grow the army further before I have some idea of what I'm actuallyt trying to do. Currently I'm surviving on tournaments.

Do you have any pointers ?

thx in advance.

Hello ,
This is my first run on this game serie. Realistic settings everywhere and death enabled. I kinda like it but currently I 'lm kinda stuck. I have random companions recruted without knowing what to do. I manage to get a relatively ok army with a third upgraded to the tier before last and the rest not so far behind. Quest do not give me enough gold to justify the cost . My upkeep is at 208 gold/day. I hesitate to grow the army further before I have some idea of what I'm actuallyt trying to do. Currently I'm surviving on tournaments.

thx in advance.
Get a workshop up. Make money by doing quests and sending your troops with your companions on quests. Companions with tactics skill early game are great for the clear the bandit hideout quest. If you’re really wanting to make money easy and fast marry someone with good armor and sell it

Well 200 gold per day can be rised even on bandit hunting. Just get horses in you inventory to have this nice map speed bonus. Generally, next step for you will be mercenary contract with one of major factions. Battle loot is last decent source of income left in this game.

Get a workshop up. Make money by doing quests and sending your troops with your companions on quests. Companions with tactics skill early game are great for the clear the bandit hideout quest. If you’re really wanting to make money easy and fast marry someone with good armor and sell it
all new territory for me, thx I'll have a look at the workshop first.

Well 200 gold per day can be rised even on bandit hunting. Just get horses in you inventory to have this nice map speed bonus. Generally, next step for you will be mercenary contract with one of major factions. Battle loot is last decent source of income left in this game.
hum mercenary contracts , sounds fair game , thx I'll look at it too.

If your group size is around 30, you can actually make some profit by doing quests and hunting bandits, then selling their loot and ransoming prisoners. One of the last patches have nerfed money from the loot however, so it's harder then it was before.

Once you have raised enough money, you can buy workshops and set up caravans. You can trade yourself, buy goods where they are cheap and sell them where they are in request. For example you can buy horses in Asseray villages and sell them basically everywhere else. Although I hate that game forces you to do so. You should be able to make money without becoming a lowly trader. I newer buy any workshops or caravans, those are jobs for lowborns and people without ambitions :wink:

If you want your group to expand, you need to either join kingdom or become mercenary for one and fight large battles, selling loot and ransoming prisoners. As a mercenary you will also get money for "influence" (more influence = more money from contract) that you get by winning battles and donating prisoners to allied cities and castles. Although you probably get more money by ransoming prisoners directly, especially since they nerfed amount of influence you get for donating them. Ransoming enemy lords can give you really nice reward for example.

You're at the point where I merc or vassal in pretty much every campaign i start. Battling enemy lords is the key to happiness. I usually wait on workshops until I've picked Sturgia to vassal for(I always say I'll fight for someone else, but it never happens, love that culture), then build in the core cities of your chosen faction. Less chance of losing them. Never really touch caravans, or quests, after that point. At least not for money, still need quests for relations.

Well Smithing is good. all the weapons i got from looters i just melted them down after some time as i was going around the map i sold all the led and still made alot of money and have kept it going..if i need money i sell some of.The good thing is i can also make great weapons now.. also dont biuld your army up 2 fast or to big at the start ..

Another money source is Smithing; kinda surprised it hasn't been mentioned (lol, Dean Beecham ninja'd me while I was typing). Some people consider it rather exploitive, because the sale prices for some of the crafted weapons get rather outlandish. TW will (and should) probably rework Smithing to counter the excesses, but for now, it's a pretty darn good moneymaker (and I think still will be even after it gets balanced better).

In a nutshell: Don't sell off looted weapons. Buy some hardwood to get going (need it to make charcoal), and smelt down looted weapons for materials (various grades of iron and steel). Then use those mats to craft weapons (2H swords, 2H swing-damage polearms, and javelins are most lucrative: damage is a big factor in sale price) to sell. Don't worry about difficulty level; the stat penalties for crafting at higher difficulty than your skill are rather minor. The first few weapons you make won't sell for much, but you'll unlock weapon components and soon be able to craft stuff that sells quite well.

Oh, and if you start your vassalage the king or simp queen will give you 100 gold a day in assistance until you are landed. Actually, can someone confirm that's the stopping point? I know I've seen it but havent paid attention to when it stops. Also be aware of the week or two of possible delay before workshops/caravans become profitable

Oh, and if you start your vassalage the king or simp queen will give you 100 gold a day in assistance until you are landed. Actually, can someone confirm that's the stopping point? I know I've seen it but havent paid attention to when it stops. Also be aware of the week or two of possible delay before workshops/caravans become profitable
I think it’s based on influence gained (changed in 1.4.0 or 1.4.1 idk which)

Just want to reiterate easiest way to get started is save 6k and pay dowry on a noblewoman/man with good armor and sell one piece.Can get you 250k sometimes. Just look up best to marry and find an armor type you like. After that you can get at least 2 workshops. Then save for a caravan and you’re setfor the rest of the game. Make sure to look up whereto put workshops and which ones are good.

Those are very very helpfull advices that helps me make sense of a lot of things I heard of but never touched yet. So really a big thank you all !
Especially for vassalage or merc contracts (didn't even know the latter existed).
I was also unaware that I could ransom prisoners for influence , I guess in castles (so that's what they are for , not just as a target later in the game) .

Right now I have trouble finding hardwood to try out the smiting part but I guess I have to start paying attention to those ressources on the map .

I have also started launching companions in quests alone Not sure how it works from there. Will the guy come and join me afterwards ? what happens if I already bought a new fourth companion ? where can I find a report of which quest they are doing (after sending three of them and since I can only play in a very sparse one hour a day , I kind of forget) . I guess it's gonna take me a couple of days to sort it all out.

Those are very very helpfull advices that helps me make sense of a lot of things I heard of but never touched yet. So really a big thank you all !
Especially for vassalage or merc contracts (didn't even know the latter existed).
I was also unaware that I could ransom prisoners for influence , I guess in castles (so that's what they are for , not just as a target later in the game) .

Right now I have trouble finding hardwood to try out the smiting part but I guess I have to start paying attention to those ressources on the map .

I have also started launching companions in quests alone Not sure how it works from there. Will the guy come and join me afterwards ? what happens if I already bought a new fourth companion ? where can I find a report of which quest they are doing (after sending three of them and since I can only play in a very sparse one hour a day , I kind of forget) . I guess it's gonna take me a couple of days to sort it all out.

Companion count towards your companion limit whether or not they're in your party, and will come find you after their quest is done. I haven't done a lot of the available missions this way though, so hopefully someone can confirm if it's the same for every quest. The first page of your clan tab will show you a list of your family and companions, and a short description of what they're doing or where they are, and the parties page under your clan tab will tell you where your companion parties are as well.

Some things you can do without gaming the system (smithing /selling your beloved's possessions) are ransoming bandits, buying low prices iron ore in battania and hauling it to towns with smithies, and visiting silver mines and taking silver to towns with silversmiths.

A good tip if you decide to become a mercenary is hang out in an army whenever you can. You have a chance to capture enemy lords just like your friends do, and can make a lot of money selling them to ransom brokers.

Some things you can do without gaming the system (smithing /selling your beloved's possessions) are ransoming bandits, buying low prices iron ore in battania and hauling it to towns with smithies, and visiting silver mines and taking silver to towns with silversmiths.

A good tip if you decide to become a mercenary is hang out in an army whenever you can. You have a chance to capture enemy lords just like your friends do, and can make a lot of money selling them to ransom brokers.
Be overly stocked on food while in that army, and when they inevitably run out of food, rake in the influence.

If you still fairly new you should start out grinding on looters. When you defeat them take all of their stuff and then go sell it. Once your more proficient go after sea raiders and mountain bandits as they offer better loot to sell. Goto Pravend and around there there are alot of bandit parties. Grind on them. Next step get a shop. My personal experience so far brewery's do ok on income just as long at the city has alot of grain and no other brewerys in town. Unsure now but some of the easy quests were getting the daugher and the poachers. They give you a good bit of money.
As mentioned once build up your army become a Merc. Defeating enemy lords will give you some money but better loot to sell. That's how I finally started building up my money.

Hello ,

thx in advance.
Merc contracts. Be mindful of the next 2 options as doing this might lose you them.
Invest in workshops to offset costs.
Invest in caravans to offset costs. Only use the more expensive option for caravan troops. Find the companion with Spice trader in her name to lead it. This one takes time to get good, so it won't produce a profit quick and it needs to survive.

Back
Top Bottom