Need a good Book Reccomendation

Users who are viewing this thread

Deserath

Sergeant Knight
Hey there Taleworlds I'm looking to start reading again, I used to love to do it and I'm excited to read again actually.
I think I'd like to start off with History, Leaders/Generals or Empires something along those lines.
Another option is something that could be considered insightful or really makes you think.

I take it you mean non-fiction? If so, you should definitely read "The Human Past" by Chris Scarre. It's basically the book (paleo)archaeologists swear by, since it's about 700 pages covering the dawn of men and the very first civilizations (Olmec Empire and such). It might be a bit of a ponderous read, though.

Yeah not really into Fantasy Right now, I do like it but I feel like at this time I'd enjoy reading more about like Alexander the Great or the Romans.

Those are just examples the Books don't have to be specifically about the Romans and Alexander.

I've never even slightly looked into Egyptian History before, it's not written more so for Women though is it?

Deserath said:
I've never even slightly looked into Egyptian History before, it's not written more so for Women though is it?

Nope. It's even got prostitutes in it. Not at all chick-lit. I hate chick-lit.

HATE IT.

Cleopatra is good stuff. Longer than LOTR though (more pages AND smaller writing) so set a few days aside.

Wheels of Terror is based on Danish guys fighting for Germany by Sven Hassel, they're pretty good. I guess that's a little history  :razz:

Fairly short books with nice characters and stuff. But I guess it's semi fictional.

I looked for Memoirs of Cleopatra but they didn't have it so I went and grabbed How Rome Fell by Adrian Goldsworthy.

American Colonies: The Settlement of North America to 1800. A great summary of the colonisation of North America that for once doesn't start with the founding of Jamestown or the Plymouth colonies. Alan Taylor, who won a Pullitzer for "William Cooper's Town", throws a lot of facts at you but softens it up with fascinating narratives of colonisers and colonised alike.

Reformation: Europe's House Divided. Diarmaid MacCulloch is one of my scholars, not only because of his expertise on the Reformation in 16th century England but surely because of his magisterial prose as well. "Reformation" may be a tad highbrow for a popular history book. It's crammed with names, dates, etymological explanations, theological polemics and jargon. However, if you feel like you're up for a challenge and want to learn something about one of the most defining intellectual currents in history and the wars, debate and intrigue it fuelled, this is definitely your cup of tea.

Vanished Kingdoms, by Norman Davies. Haven't read it myself but I've heard plenty good things about it. The book has gotten quite some media attention and almost unanimously positive reviews.

Pharaoh Llandy said:
The Memoires of Cleopatra by Margaret George.
Didn't realize it was fiction, I was looking in the biographies section for a while at Books a Million.

Orchid said:
Vanished Kingdoms, by Norman Davies. Haven't read it myself but I've heard plenty good things about it. The book has gotten quite some media attention and almost unanimously positive reviews.

I ended up going with Orchid's selection here, sounded pretty interesting.

Ahh. The Cleopatra book is historical fiction. It's based on as much truth as is known about the time. If you care about reviews, it has 250 five-star reviews on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Memoirs-Cleopatra-A-Novel/dp/0312187459/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377447409&sr=8-1&keywords=the+memoirs+of+cleopatra

I was never too into the Renaissance or the Industrial Revolution for that matter, I'm more into getting insight on Great Leaders and Generals.

Back
Top Bottom