Necromancer Morale

Users who are viewing this thread

English_Knight

Sergeant
I have heard there is a new morale penalty for having undead troops in the party. Can someone explain this to me, as I have just made a Necromancer character!

English_Knight said:
I have heard there is a new morale penalty for having undead troops in the party. Can someone explain this to me, as I have just made a Necromancer character!

The morale penalty comes in the form of "living troops" and it becomes even worse with things like blazing hand troops. The idea is that only "evil" factions will be okay with undead (Drow, Orc, Delthersam), but I've heard there are some problems happening right now. With the constant stream of updates and bug reports I'm not what has been fixed and what is being fixed.

Darth_Trog said:
This only effects the player, since the AI parties have no moral penalties, so overall, I think it should be trashed.

I agree. It is not even clear within the game what units are causing the penalties and some units have penalties that probably should not. Orc slaves for example have a penalty but other orc and drow units do not.

The number of units is also irrelevant - one living troop with a penalty will cause the same drop in morale as dozens.

The troop morale description is also disconnected from this new morale mechanic so your units that are dragging down morale can still have excellent morale themselves which makes no sense at all.

Just trash it.

Sohei said:
Darth_Trog said:
This only effects the player, since the AI parties have no moral penalties, so overall, I think it should be trashed.

I agree. It is not even clear within the game what units are causing the penalties and some units have penalties that probably should not. Orc slaves for example have a penalty but other orc and drow units do not.

The number of units is also irrelevant - one living troop with a penalty will cause the same drop in morale as dozens.

The troop morale description is also disconnected from this new morale mechanic so your units that are dragging down morale can still have excellent morale themselves which makes no sense at all.

Just trash it.

I do not think it should be trashed. It wouldn't make sense for blazing hand troops to work with undead without severe penalties and vice versa. If the mod is given time to fix some of the penalty glitches E.G. Not all race specific units working correctly, then it will be a fine addition and great for immerse gameplay.

That being said, I could understand the argument of "The number of units is also irrelevant - one living troop with a penalty will cause the same drop in morale as dozens." and this could be dealt with a number of ways.

To your second part of the morale how some troops would be dragged down and others would not, that actually makes sense to some degree. If you had a horde of undead and one living guy, that one living guy is probably terrible morale. While the undead horde may not care as much because they are a gigantic majority and care little for the one living. Then again, a full suite of living who are dedicated to killing evil would all have terrible morale when only a couple undead are with them, or any at all.

There's a lot of ways this could be looked at and addressed, but I completely disagree about taking the mechanic fully out of the mod.

I don't like the way the mechanic works right now at all although the concept of having a morale penalty for some living troops is fine in theory. I just don't think this was the right way to implement it.

A bigger problem is that there is no obvious way for the player to know which troops are causing it or why without a lot of trial and error. Given that a lot of time, money and effort could be spent on getting troops this could be very annoying for the player.

In general I believe that if there is a need to read forums or manuals just to understand the basics of game play for any game then there is a problem with the game. This could actually apply to designing and using other software as well.

Its not as bad as you make it sound to be honest. Does it need some fine tuning yes, is it horrible not in my opinion i really dont think troops from all allegiance should get along with each other in a land filled with conflicts. It does take some getting used to though but it would make sense for the troop thats intimidated to leave not effect the whole party (especially undeads)

Would it be possible to get rid of the morale penalty for fighting against "your own faction"?

It could add an interesting extra level. The D&D troops care about alignment somewhat, but don't really care about fighting their own countrymen (because hey, adventurers don't care about politics, just about gold and exp.), and the Calradian troops don't care about alignment (unless it's about undeath), but they do care about fighting their own countrymen.

Sohei said:
I don't like the way the mechanic works right now at all although the concept of having a morale penalty for some living troops is fine in theory. I just don't think this was the right way to implement it.

A bigger problem is that there is no obvious way for the player to know which troops are causing it or why without a lot of trial and error. Given that a lot of time, money and effort could be spent on getting troops this could be very annoying for the player.

In general I believe that if there is a need to read forums or manuals just to understand the basics of game play for any game then there is a problem with the game. This could actually apply to designing and using other software as well.

The problem about there being no obvious way to know: The series is based heavily on D&D Fantasy, and as such many of the people who download are assumed to have some previous knowledge in said universe. While I could understand completely that this is a completely silly sentiment to expect your audience to have said knowledge... It is setup this way. I will make a new section in the guide to compensate for what factions/races would be "OK" with evil-like actions to help combat this problem.

The main reason I see the guide helping in this instance is that their is no form of alignment system to demonstrate this, and there has yet to be another system implemented to better convey this message.

You are kind of right with
"In general I believe that if there is a need to read forums or manuals just to understand the basics of game play for any game then there is a problem with the game."
BUT at the same if you bought an expensive program and instead of looking at manuals or forums how long would it take to learn a lot of software? You read forums and manuals BECAUSE these programs or softwares have extensive amounts of things going on which require these pieces of reference to answer questions and to learn about the software/program.

In this instance the mechanic is heavily ingrained into the gameplay and can affect the enjoyability IF it is not well known, working properly, or conveyed well. As it stands of June 19th 2014, the mechanic is well-known only be a certain community demographic, it is very buggy, and it is not conveyed well in the game itself (E.G. an Alignment system)

For a quick recap: The system is a great system to have and should be in the game, but I can absolutely agree that there needs to be better communication through the game itself to demonstrate at a glance how X unit will affect the mechanics.

UNTIL this problem has found a resolution (E.G. Alignment mechanic or some other tooltip), and the bugs are fixed; then the guide, which acts as a manual, will have to be the area for which this information resides.

EDIT: I'll be posting about this in the mechanics forums so that Guspav and some others can begin working on a way to better integrate this mechanic, fix the bugs, and convey the ins and outs of said mechanic in-game.

I hope it doesn't get trashed, it's a nice/realistic/immsersive feature, however I wished it didn't affect companions' morale

Back
Top Bottom