[NC2019] Grand Final & Bronze Match

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lagstro said:
I wouldn't blame Tardet. In the end, he had to voice his team's opinion even if he personally thought that France shouldn't have had a problem with playing on the UK server.

The decision was solely in Watly's hands, and he didn't even entertain the idea of having us check our pings to see what would provide a fairer match, even when both Tardet and I knew very well that UK would have accomplished that, even while still being in France's advantage. Tardet has already admitted to that many times now. Obviously France was going to want to play France, they were looking to win, but it was on Watly to be an actual admin and try to find the fairest solution and enforce that, but he didn't even make an attempt at it.

UK would have been the fairer server, Watly knew it, Tardet knew it, we knew it, the casters knew it, twitch chat knew it, everyone but Fietta and Error knew it, but alas, this wouldn't be a real NC without some sort of drama at the end.

There's very little point in talking about what "could" have happened if the match was played on a different server, if anything, what should be talked about is why we couldn't be provided with the fairest available solution in the first place. You'd think the final match would have been handled with the most care.

I didnt mention that it wouldn't be fairer, what I'm saying is, is that it doesnt matter as home would have been stomps anyways. Regardless of if you had 10 less ping, its very clear that the outcome of that match wouldn't change. You can be as angry as you like, but the match is not based on skill.

@Lagstro, I'll outline the decision very briefly for everyone to see.

In case someone is questioning the communication on server location, I communicated with Lagstro on the 25th of November that the default servers would be France - USEast. He agreed to this under the condition that they could play on Germany if that would make it fairer. He also explicitly wrote to me 'Feel free to enforce US East - France, even if anyone on our team tries to argue against it (you can screen cap that).'

The NA team has at no point in the past two weeks informed me that they would prefer to play on a UK server, are setting up a UK server or that there might be potential issues with France not being willing to play on such a server. The earliest I caught wind of this UK server was on Saturday evening this weekend when I played in a practice scrim against the NA team. This server was not set up properly, so I had no administrative rights nor access to the logs.

As I had no guarantees on this server's performance, I opted to play it safe and default to the official tournament servers that have shown amazing quality throughout the tournament. Balancing pings for an NA side is hard given the vast size of the continent. Looking at the pings both teams played under, we managed to succeed in the end to provide a level playing field for both teams.

@Roberta, John, The NA team had no qualms playing under sizable ping advantages in a variety of other match-ups, no need to pull the victim card here.

Watly said:

In case someone is questioning the communication on server location, I communicated with Lagstro on the 25th of November that the default servers would be France - USEast. He agreed to this under the condition that they could play on Germany if that would make it fairer. He also explicitly wrote to me 'Feel free to enforce US East - France, even if anyone on our team tries to argue against it (you can screen cap that).'

@Roberta, John, The NA team had no qualms playing under sizable ping advantages in a variety of other match-ups, no need to pull the victim card here.

I think you are unfairly representing what I actually meant. Don't worry, I can post my side of the conversation
a01600e6d1305b8205b84c094685236e.png

It's very clear I had initially voiced concerns about playing on the French server, and that I would talk to Tardet about what server to play on, and all the way back in November, France and Germany were the only 2 options.

I told you I would only be okay with you enforcing US East and France IF I didn't talk to Tardet or Paulo at least 2 or 3 days in advance about playing on a different server, precisely to try to avoid a mess like this the day of the match, which would have been unfair to France.

I did my part. I talked to Tardet about playing on a German server that exact same day I told you that, and he agreed that playing on Germany would be fine.

Then I had a UK server set up A WEEK ago, and let Tardet know about it as soon as it was up, and he was already collecting data on his team's pings on the UK servers and the US EAST servers for several days now. I asked him several times throughout the week, especially the past three days, and after looking at the pings, he assured me that he believed that France playing on UK should have been completely fine, that it would obviously have been a fairer option, and that it would be very unlikely that France would cry about playing on the UK server the day of. Tardet has admitted to this several times already, in our group chat, in the stream, on discord, etc. I'm sure he could confirm it once again now if needed. I believe Tardet is also a little disappointed that France made a fuss about playing on UK that still would have favored them anyway, and just ended up creating a less than ideal situation for us by not allowing me to play the EU sets due to completely unplayable ping on France.

Considering I held my side of the deal and let Tardet know about the server a week in advance, and he even said UK should have been fine a week in advance, I don't believe you had the right to outright enforce France anymore, and should have done your best to arbitrate the situation, and enforce the fairest decision, which you made no attempt to do, even when my only request was that we quickly check our pings for you to see what would make more sense, and you just flat out said no because France didn't want to play on UK.

You specifically told me to handle the situation with Tardet this whole time, and never told me to tell you anything about how we were setting up this match. I don't know what you need to consider the server official, but I did give Bullez full access to the server, that's how he put the nc mod on the server. If there was really any other issue with that, I could have very quickly given you access too, but you didn't even ask for it.

You had no problem whatsoever wasting a lot of time entertaining France's desire to switch up the order the sets were played in (which would have affected the preparation we had for the match, that's why you are supposed to bring these things up IN ADVANCE, not as the match is about to start) That's the only thing you actually flipped a coin on, even though I didn't agree to it, and there was no precedent for switching up the order the sets were going to be played in.

Let me just make it clear, I am not trying to diminish France's victory. I'm just voicing my displeasure with the way Watly handled the server situation. When everyone else present at the match and watching the stream knew very well that UK was obviously the way to go. There's no point in arguing how the match could have gone differently had a different server been chosen. It's the fact that we were outright denied a fairer match option by the administration in the first place that ends this tournament in bad taste.

Watly said:

You know very well that's a bad argument. We were always set up with the fairest server match-up possible given the options available. Of course that meant that sometimes we were the ones that ended up with an advantage, like in the NA vs Poland match, but you cannot argue that having us play in Poland would have made that match any fairer, it only would have made it more favorable for them than it ended up being for us. The problem here is that you DIDN'T allow the fairest available option to be played.

Again, France made their way to the finals and took a round from us in the tiebreaker on our home server. France played well and won the match. To me, that's the end of the discussion about the actual outcome of the match.

Lagstro said:
Watly said:

I think you are unfairly representing what I actually meant. Don't worry, I can post my side of the conversation
a01600e6d1305b8205b84c094685236e.png

It's very clear I had initially voiced concerns about playing on the French server, and that I would talk to Tardet about what server to play on, and all the way back in November, France and Germany were the only 2 options.

I told you I would only be okay with you enforcing US East and France IF I didn't talk to Tardet or Paulo at least 2 or 3 days in advance about playing on a different server, precisely to try to avoid a mess like this the day of the match, which would have been unfair to France.

I did my part. I talked to Tardet about playing on a German server that exact same day I told you that, and he agreed that playing on Germany would be fine.

Then I had a UK server set up A WEEK ago, and let Tardet know about it as soon as it was up, and he was already collecting data on his team's pings on the UK servers and the US EAST servers for several days now. I asked him several times throughout the week, especially the past three days, and after looking at the pings, he assured me that he believed that France playing on UK should have been completely fine, that it would obviously have been a fairer option, and that it would be very unlikely that France would cry about playing on the UK server the day of. Tardet has admitted to this several times already, in our group chat, in the stream, on discord, etc. I'm sure he could confirm it once again now if needed. I believe Tardet is also a little disappointed that France made a fuss about playing on UK that still would have favored them anyway, and just ended up creating a less than ideal situation for us by not allowing me to play the EU sets due to completely unplayable ping on France.

Considering I held my side of the deal and let Tardet know about the server a week in advance, and he even said UK should have been fine a week in advance, I don't believe you had the right to outright enforce France anymore, and should have done your best to arbitrate the situation, and enforce the fairest decision, which you made no attempt to do, even when my only request was that we quickly check our pings for you to see what would make more sense, and you just flat out said no because France didn't want to play on UK.

You specifically told me to handle the situation with Tardet this whole time, and never told me to tell you anything about how we were setting up this match. I don't know what you need to consider the server official, but I did give Bullez full access to the server, that's how he put the nc mod on the server. If there was really any other issue with that, I could have very quickly given you access too, but you didn't even ask for it.

You had no problem whatsoever wasting a lot of time entertaining France's desire to switch up the order the sets were played in (which would have affected the preparation we had for the match, that's why you are supposed to bring these things up IN ADVANCE, not as the match is about to start) That's the only thing you actually flipped a coin on, even though I didn't agree to it, and there was no precedent for switching up the order the sets were going to be played in.

Let me just make it clear, I am not trying to diminish France's victory. I'm just voicing my displeasure with the way Watly handled the server situation. When everyone else present at the match and watching the stream knew very well that UK was obviously the way to go. There's no point in arguing how the match could have gone differently had a different server been chosen. It's the fact that we were outright denied a fairer match option by the administration in the first place that ends this tournament in bad taste.

Watly said:

You know very well that's a bad argument. We were always set up with the fairest server match-up possible given the options available. Of course that meant that sometimes we were the ones that ended up with an advantage, like in the NA vs Poland match, but you cannot argue that having us play in Poland would have made that match any fairer, it only would have made it more favorable for them than it ended up being for us. The problem here is that you DIDN'T allow the fairest available option to be played.

Again, France made their way to the finals and took a round from us in the tiebreaker on our home server. France played well and won the match. To me, that's the end of the discussion about the actual outcome of the match.

Fair on the misrepresentation, didn't infer the previous part due to the separation by point instead of comma. Apologies for that.

Your concerns, from my perspective, were entirely directed at whether to play on France or Germany. Both options were fine as far as I was concerned.

I stated explicitly that problem-solving should be done with Tardet in the loop. However, I have at no point stated or implied that I wish to be left out of the loop. I have included the relevant sentence in the spoiler below.

[25/11/2019, 22:59]
Watly:
Just communicate with Tardet at all stages of the process, I just say "yes/no"

As such, the only direct communication from the NA side that you wish to play on your own UK server was at match time yesterday. I thus had every right to enforce the servers as they were yesterday. If your argument is that I should have more explicitly told you to keep me in the loop, I would fire back that it didn't make sense to leave me out of the loop to begin with. Tardet was clear his team might disagree with him, so I have no clue why you left it up to chance like this.

There are other concerns than fairness when refereeing such a match, which include server stability and a timely start (the latter of which we failed regardless). I had absolutely no intent to waste even more time doing the travelling circus to check for marginal differences in ping.

On the matter of servers, there is no good reason that NA should always be the one to play two sets in succession on home servers. We have done this so far because we believed it did not matter who did successive sets on home, but the French contacts clearly communicated that they found that this approach disadvantages them. As you already stated, it took a while mainly because you disagreed and did not comply, and not so much because of the process of flipping a coin.

We both know that equal ping on the away server is far more important than equal ping on the home server, especially when discussing the range 110-130 ping. I would have argued that Polish server was the fairer option in that regard, as it would have given your team a 20 ping home disadvantage instead of Poland a 15 ping away disadvantage. Their comments were also hardly constructive, so yeah they deserved that.

We aren't talking about a marginal ping difference though, are we? it was a difference of anywhere from 10ish to as much as 25-30 for some. That might not sound like a lot, but once you cross 100 every additional 10-20 ping makes a very noticeable difference. It was also enough to prevent the team captain and star archer from being able to play on the EU sets, putting NA at an absurd disadvantage.

I don't wish to start a debate on what could or would have been, but it should be obvious how a decision like this would have a massive impact on the result of a match.

I've been watching and playing warband for almost 10 years. In a match so close there is absolutely no doubt at all in my mind that NA would have won if Lag was shooting and calling for the other half of the match. France didn't beat the best the NA team could've put forth this year. UK server should've happened, every single person watching the stream knew it was practically morally wrong to force a France server. This is why most of the NA players stopped playing in NC.

Having 1 sole admin making the decisions will always lead to an unfair match.

GG NA,      (GG Roberta great forum warrior)
But please don't try to steal our victory
Russians or Turkish never complained about their ping, they always play with more than 50 ping.
I feel bad for our team because we fought hard to be there.
And I feel bad for the admins, even if there was maybe few mistakes you better thanks them for the effort they made on their free time, so we can still play and enjoy our favorite game.

See you next year,

SwaP_TheTrue said:
GG NA,      (GG Roberta great forum warrior)
But please don't try to steal our victory
Russians or Turkish never complained about their ping, they always play with more than 50 ping.
I feel bad for our team because we fought hard to be there.
And I feel bad for the admins, even if there was maybe few mistakes you better thanks them for the effort they made on their free time, so we can still play and enjoy our favorite game.

See you next year,
GG!

you guys ruined my plans to seduce seolhyun tho :xf-mad:

Seems like you guys had literally the same issue Argentina and Germany had. But welp, GGs to both teams, you all played extremely well, it was an awesome match to watch.

Tho I was hoping for NA to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom