[NC2019] Final Nation's Cup Announcement & Signups

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This should probably be nipped in the bud before the same misinformed arguments appear from previous years. The UK is a country and as such is entitled to play in the NC, no alliance is present or required.

Mythicc said:
Bene isn't a country, the UK is. Nice IQ
Kiano said:
This should probably be nipped in the bud before the same misinformed arguments appear from previous years. The UK is a country and as such is entitled to play in the NC, no alliance is present or required.

The United Kingdom is a sovereign country but that's being highly hypocrite from you to hide behind that term. Tell me how many recent sports events involving nations/countries did the UK play together. Yeah, pretty much the same amount as BeNe, you nailed it. This is always the same story, every NC, it's almost like you guys enjoy getting caught up in that unhealthy complaining circle.

The UK team exists on Warband because it's convenient for England to be capable of relying on some other nations/countries player base. (Is that actually concerning anyone but OGL in the current team anyways?). BeNe exists because it's convenient for the Dutch players to be capable of relying on Belgium additions. In both cases, these teams gain something out of it. Wow, big deal. It has been the case for years, do you really except some extra whining to make for the pivotal aspect in a possible change?

Apollo~ said:
Belgians should be allowed to play for france instead imo, not like Netherlands needs them. France really does :smile:

It's pretty much always a matter of convenience and also one of 'case per case'. France has one of the largest player bases in the whole Warband community, it doesn't make the slightest sense to say that Belgium players should play for France and not the Netherlands. But in Caius (and Kellerman's case), it's always a tricky aspect because they are from the french-speaking part of Belgium and despite the fact they played for BeNe in recent years, they are very close to the french community. So you could argue it 'makes' more sense for those two to play for France, but that doesn't mean France needs them more nor that they should be allowed to play for that team.

I think people should stop talking about the UK if they dont know how the UK works. UK is a sovereign country/nation (ONLY 1 NATION) comprised of constituent countries.  In short it basically means that these countries are part of the one Nation and aren't their own nations by their own right. The UK is far more complicated than the 'I'm a country which means I'm a nation' scenario. Of course I argued for Wales to exist in the past as they've played separately in different sports (because they have different culture and are still a constituent country) and because I wanted a Welsh team, but that doesn't mean they're an alliance of any form.

If it were indeed one nation there would be a UK team for international events in all sport. However it’s multiple nations forming a country which explains why there are Scottish, Welsh and North Irish sport teams

Alyss said:
If it were indeed one nation there would be a UK team for international events in all sport. However it’s multiple nations forming a country which explains why there are Scottish, Welsh and North Irish sport teams

Yes, in global sporting events such as the Olympics they're represented by the Nation (UK) and not by the constituent country. I'm telling you facts Alyss. Constituent countries aren't nations by their own right, hence the meaning constituent. Much like federal states of America, they're all different with their own culture and teams but they're all part of the same nation. Best way to look at it is think of the UK like the US and the countries of the UK are US federal states, obviously this isnt entirely accurate due to government etc. Its an easy way for the simple minded.

This proves the hypocrisy of the UK, they change from one nation to multiple nation or the other way around whenever it suits them.
As I said a country isn’t the same as a nation.

Fietta said:
Alyss said:

Yes, in global sporting events such as the Olympics they're represented by the Nation (UK) and not by the constituent country. I'm telling you facts Alyss. Constituent countries aren't nations by their own right, hence the meaning constituent.

That's actually interesting and I must admit I didn't know/forgot that so I am forced to retract my earlier comment, there is indeed one event (and there are actually probably more). Is there any particular reason why the UK play the Olympics as one and other sports events involving nations fighting each other (World Rugby Cup, World Football Cup) separated?

Tardet said:
Fietta said:
Alyss said:

Yes, in global sporting events such as the Olympics they're represented by the Nation (UK) and not by the constituent country. I'm telling you facts Alyss. Constituent countries aren't nations by their own right, hence the meaning constituent.

That's actually interesting and I must admit I didn't know/forgot that so I am forced to retract my earlier comment, there is indeed one event (and there are actually probably more). Is there any particular reason why the UK play the Olympics as one and other sports events involving nations fighting each other (World Rugby Cup, World Football Cup) separated?

There's always been rivalry between home countries of the UK when it comes to sport, such as the British home championship in 1884, so they've probably been separate for traditional reasons, 'I'm the better UK country' scenario - I'm not really a historian or a master of sport so I can't really tell you as to exactly why but, seems it's been around for time, far before sports went truly global I imagine.

A nation is a stable community of people, formed on the basis of a common language, territory, history, ethnicity, or psychological make-up manifested in a common culture.

Belgium is home to two main linguistic groups or communities: the Dutch-speaking, mostly Flemish Community, which constitutes about 59 percent of the population

Historically, Belgium was part of an area known as the Low Countries, a somewhat larger region than the current Benelux

The country emerged in 1830 following the Belgian Revolution when it seceded from the Netherlands.

history
ethnicity
territory
language

Surkan friend, we're in 2019 and not 1830, as of right now both Belgium and Netherlands are separate countries and nations, that is fact. Unless you would like me to create a British Empire team.

Fietta said:
Tardet said:
Fietta said:
Alyss said:

There's always been rivalry between home countries of the UK when it comes to sport, such as the British home championship in 1884, so they've probably been separate for traditional reasons, 'I'm the better UK country' scenario - I'm not really a historian or a master of sport so I can't really tell you as to exactly why but, seems it's been around for time, far before sports went truly global I imagine.

Yeah, while looking up on the web, I have come across an article mentioning a petition for a Scottish Olympic team. I suppose it's not as clear cut for everyone but oh well, I have contributed enough to derail the thread myself so I will just leave it at that. People's mind hardly get changed through forums arguments anyways.

Surkan said:
A nation is a stable community of people, formed on the basis of a common language, territory, history, ethnicity, or psychological make-up manifested in a common culture.

Belgium is home to two main linguistic groups or communities: the Dutch-speaking, mostly Flemish Community, which constitutes about 59 percent of the population

Historically, Belgium was part of an area known as the Low Countries, a somewhat larger region than the current Benelux

The country emerged in 1830 following the Belgian Revolution when it seceded from the Netherlands.

history
ethnicity
territory
language

So? the UK can become the British Empire? Contact Gibby on steam if you are from any of the following countries:

1382846483140.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom