[NC2016] Draw Night - 18:30 GMT 20/01

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
kgbnn.png

DRAW NIGHT

Hello Warbanders! Here we are for the 2016 Nations Cup draw. It will be taking place 20/01/2016 at 18:30 GMT.

We gathered a panel of experts to seed every team into pots. The seeds were created from information independently given by Silver, Deacon, Calamity, Trebron and Menethil. One team from each pot will be randomly picked and placed into a group during the draw night. Each group with consist of 1 team from each of the 4 pots

SEEDING

POT 1
Belgium & Netherlands
Poland
Germany
Turkey
5621140148_36b6ed98d2_o.png

POT 2
France
North America
Russia
United Kingdom

POT 3
Finland
Norway & Denmark
Spain
Sweden

POT 4
Austria & Switzerland
Czechoslovakia
Ireland
Yugoslavia

DRAWN GROUPS

GROUP A
Belgium & Netherlands
France
Sweden
Czechoslovakia

GROUP B
Turkey
North America
Finland
Austria & Switzerland

GROUP C
Poland
United Kingdom
Spain
Ireland

GROUP D
Germany
Russia
Norway and Denmark
Yugoslavia

I think all pot1 teams were on top longer than UK has been.

Good luck to all, it is going to be an interesting year with all the newcoming NC players.

No, BeNe only made it out of the group stages last year for the first time, and Germany finished worse 2 years in a row. I think Russia has as much claim to strength as Germany if we're going on winning the NC years ago.

OurGloriousLeader said:
No, BeNe only made it out of the group stages last year for the first time, and Germany finished worse 2 years in a row. I think Russia has as much claim to strength as Germany if we're going on winning the NC years ago.
The idea behind using experts is to make it subjective. This is the result of those people looking at the teams involved and using their own judgement. It was chosen over an objective method (something like average the ratings of teams over previous years) to account for potential anomalies and just rely on a panel that can provide a reasonable solution.

Had an objective system been used, there would need to be a decision about how that system would work exactly and the problem there is that we'd immediately be able to calculate the result (of whatever system was proposed), which is arguably more prone to bias than allowing informed individuals to vote independently.

With respect to your example, Germany didn't get very far last year but they were knocked out by the champions early on in the knockout, whereas other teams arguably had a more difficult run.

I'll grant that the UK is probably at the upper end of pot 2, but any of the teams in pot 1 would be as well. A decision had to be made and this was considered to be the best way of balancing fairness and practicality.

Captain Lust said:

Yeah I figured this was the idea, to me it seems a bit flawed to go on 'maybes' like Germany getting beaten by champions, so maybe they'd have gone further (as did UK in fact, and Scar has said UK was only team scary to Germany prior to getting knocked out) and instead hard results which are harder to argue aka top 4 from previous tournament.

There are a ton of other variables too which make the subjective line more odd to me I guess, Turkey for example have a really different and untested roster this year whereas UK and Germany but they are in the top pot because of previous results (which is fair). Just seems like some teams have judged based on previous form and some teams are based on possible form and poor old UK gets ditched unfairly :sad:(((((

I think #experts compared #e-nis sizes between all #teams and they decided to put #UK in 2nd pot #illuminati

Why Norway is in 3rd pot if they made rq after 2 matches one year ago? Austria & Switzerland have deserved to be there for their matches in previous tournaments.

I just wanted to know the reasoning and the reasons presented aren't compelling so it seems like BS. We'll still make it through group stage but it does affect the overall tournament so it's worth being clear. Also strange that they've changed the pot system, which has hurt the UK team. DON'T KNOW WHY YOU'RE ALL SO DEFENSIVE MAYBE IT'S BECAUSE YOU'RE ALL BAD

OurGloriousLeader said:
I just wanted to know the reasoning and the reasons presented aren't compelling so it seems like BS. We'll still make it through group stage but it does affect the overall tournament so it's worth being clear. Also strange that they've changed the pot system, which has hurt the UK team. DON'T KNOW WHY YOU'RE ALL SO DEFENSIVE MAYBE IT'S BECAUSE YOU'RE ALL BAD

You have such an amusing way with words, looking forward to your interviews this NC.  What do you mean changed the pot system?

Aeronwen said:
OurGloriousLeader said:

You have such an amusing way with words, looking forward to your appearance on tonight's Horse&Sword. What do you mean changed the pot system?
There will be a H&S for the draw, right ?

Aeronwen said:
You have such an amusing way with words, looking forward to your interviews this NC.  What do you mean changed the pot system?

Last year the pots were simply split according to the final position in the previous tournament. Top 4 in pot 1, last 4 of top 8 in pot 2 etc.

GlorvalhirSRB said:
Aeronwen said:
OurGloriousLeader said:

You have such an amusing way with words, looking forward to your appearance on tonight's Horse&Sword. What do you mean changed the pot system?
There will be a H&S for the draw, right ?

Sorry, Captain Lust is not available. 

Bauglir said:
Aeronwen said:

Last year the pots were simply split according to the final position in the previous tournament. Top 4 in pot 1, last 4 of top 8 in pot 2 etc.

hmmm not quite.  Last year the teams were split on previous performance.  The problem with that is that sometimes teh lineups (or alliances) have changed substantially.

This year we asked several experts to rank the teams as shown in the rosters.  They each did it individually (blind - as in they did not see each others rankings) and the results were collated.  It turned out very similar to how the pots would have looked if a simple list of last years ranking was used.  The pots were then listed alphabetically (not in ranked order).

There are pros and cons with any system.  Last year losing Germany so early was a huge surprise as was Bene storming through the matches to reach teh finals (and almost win).  I look forward to seeing how well the experts have called it for this year.  How about letting us see how you would rank the teams?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom