[NC2014] Group B - 1st.UK 2nd.Russia

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we have some clarification on whether tie-breaker rounds count to overall round difference?

I checked the rules but couldn't see anything about it or the ordering of the groups at all.

The issue with having tie breaker rounds counting towards overall round difference is that it could theoretically incentivise a team to lose rounds in order to win later.

Hypothetical situation 1:

-Team A is winning 8-7 against Team B.
-Team A needs to win the match for the points and improve their round difference by 3 to qualify ahead of Team B.
-Team A now needs to lose the last round and force the tiebreaker for a chance to make it out of the group stage.
-Team B would benefit directly from losing the last round.

So having tiebreak rounds count towards overall round difference could infact create a situation whereby both teams would desperately be trying to lose the round. This is surely broken.

Hypothetical situation 2: (assuming the current sorting system is points>round difference>rounds won as per the uncodified status quo in operation on the Group Stage thread)

-Team A and Team B have supercharged rounds won/lost count from playing extra tiebreak rounds on a home away match.
-Team A ends on the same round difference and points as Team C.
-Team B are not in contention.
-Team A go through with higher rounds won because they happened to have a tiebreaker in home/away game.

This is pretty unfair considering that certain teams play home/away more often and have a greater chance to run into these home away tiebreakers.

It's quite unorthodox to have tiebreakers for a group stage anyway but there's nothing inherently wrong with it. However in this case there seem to be some issues with clarification and I think the tiebreak rules have been added without due consideration given to the effects.

Obviously I'm looking at this now because it directly effects the situation of the UK Team. We do feel a little hard done by having gotten to 8 rounds, thinking we were safe in 1st place and then having our round difference reduced by rounds played on a "tiebreaker map".

I'd like this to be looked at by the admins and have some decisions made as well as some clarification for the current situation, as well as for the groups with games left to be played. Obviously it would be ideal for this to have been made clear earlier on. If anyone has anything to contribute then I'd be interested to hear it as well.

I hope the Russian team don't take this the wrong way. They deserved the win and it was a great match. They were fantastic opponents.

Some very valuable points made by Captain Lust, the issue is a cause of great distress to the UK team.
Though not flawless, it is worth looking at it in terms of football - Are penalty shoot outs counted towards the final score of a football match? No.

+1 to Captain Lust

Well played though comrades.

I agree that there needs to be some clarification on this subject, but there most likely won't be any changes in this particular case. There is no rule stating that tiebreaker rounds count towards the total amount of rounds in the end summation. There have been previous situations with tiebreakers and in all of those cases, the tiebreaker has been added into the final score count.

This has to be discussed in a future discussion.

Also, I am apparently biased in this situation, so I am not allowed to make any decision as an admin. The reasoning is that I am in the same group as the guys benefit/were hurt by a decision. My situation won't change a single bit with either decision, so my question is: Is it good to leave an admin out of a decision because of this reason, even though he has no direct/indirect benefit from the decision.

Watly said:
Also, I am apparently biased in this situation, so I am not allowed to make any decision as an admin. The reasoning is that I am in the same group as the guys benefit/were hurt by a decision. My situation won't change a single bit with either decision, so my question is: Is it good to leave an admin out of a decision because of this reason, even though he has no direct/indirect benefit from the decision.

Considering you feel entitled to make this little ***** addition to your post, I think it's perfectly okay to leave you out of this decision :smile:

I'll post here whether or not anything changes as soon as relaX and I are done talking about it. Expect a post within a day or two.
Either way, both teams have made it through to the Knockout Stage and should begin to prepare.

I've had enough with your stupid **** X, personally assaulting me based on wild speculation of my thoughts are inacceptable for me.

I hereby resign from the tournament as an administrator.

Watly said:
I've had enough with your stupid **** X, personally assaulting me based on wild speculation of my thoughts are inacceptable for me.

I hereby resign from the tournament as an administrator.

Deleted all comments that are in no way relevant to the subject and aimed at causing a reaction ony my part.
You don't have the right to delete these comments if you're saying you're resigning.
****ing make a choice and go with it or don't do anything and be calm.

Decision here:

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=293373.new#new

GG nice decision....

Generaly you are right, nevertheless it's quite stupid to use this new rule into tournament, which started over 1 month ago, just because some players complained about it after their match was over and they have to face strong team from Poland, instead of weaker team from the Czech republic (or USA ofc).

We did ok in our practice games vs Poland and well you have to fight strong teams. We were just looking at the rules after the match to figure out what position and it lacked any so we asked as it makes no sense to us to have them included ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom