[NC2013] Questions and Answers

Users who are viewing this thread

~Scar said:
BlackTide said:
They're as German as Varadin is British.

Says someone who's part of a team consisting of four different countries. Anyways...

That's quite an abstract point and not really relevent. I'm a citizen of a state made up of 3 devolved governments and one state parliament. I'm not trying to work the system, the UK team is perfectly legitimate.

~Scar said:
BlackTide said:
They're as German as Varadin is British.

Says someone who's part of a team consisting of four different countries. Anyways...

@Pandemona: What about Kellermann and Caius then? Or the russians who are playing for the UA.

If your blaming us ypu should blame the others as well. Just in terms of fairness...

Well, i don't know about them.

I was just showing example, lol.

Bah this isn't questions or answers. This is arguing, take it to PMs if you want to debate the realities of nationhood.

We'll make an announcement regarding these two cases later today or tomorrow. That's enough.

On behalf of the Russian national team I have a question for the admins.
In our team has a player Dennor he now lives in Ukraine.
But its roots in Russia. Parents are from Russia. All relatives live in Russia. He studied by correspondence at a Russian University.
He never played for the national team of Ukraine. They никогла not interested in the combined teams of Ukraine.
And all of his friends play for the national team of Russia and are in a clan Heroes.

I ask to allow him to speak for Russia, I think no one will objec

Olonzo said:
On behalf of the Russian national team I have a question for the admins.
In our team has a player Dennor he now lives in Ukraine.
But its roots in Russia. Parents are from Russia. All relatives live in Russia. He studied by correspondence at a Russian University.
He never played for the national team of Ukraine. They никогла not interested in the combined teams of Ukraine.
And all of his friends play for the national team of Russia and are in a clan Heroes.

I ask to allow him to speak for Russia, I think no one will objec

Thanks for this information. We will give you an answer by the end of the day.

I am looking for some other perspectives, ideas, and complaints on home/away servers.

Right now, the biggest obstacles to both teams playing on one server are East Russia, USA, Canada, and Braz(s)il.

Brazil - There's been some discussion about using a San Jose server where both teams will get about 240 ms ping. This sounds much less fun than a home/away split. This won't solve problems for their matches against USA and Canada, so another rule would have to exist for them. Brazil has offered to host a server for NC in Brazil.

USA - Traditionally played home matches in NY. However, some US players get worse pings in NY than Europeans, so it isn't fair to call it a home server. A central server would add ~20 ms to pings from Europe, and offer a range of 15-90 ms pings for US players. Currently, most competitions take place in Chicago servers (you can test ping at USA_Central_POM), so while some US players will get 90 ping, it is what they are used to playing competitively.

Canada - Same situation as US, but 25% of their team is on the west coast. Playing in NY severely cripples their team. Again, playing in Chicago would lower their ping to 80-90 ms, which is what they are used to playing at.

Kazakhstan/Eastern Russia: What do you prefer for home servers? Do you have servers with suitable ping in your area?

My opinions from an administrative perspective:
It would be easiest to have home/away servers for every team. These would be on an approved list before the tournament starts, and teams would have the ability to practice where they will be playing. Some teams may have the same home server as another team. If captains wanted to play all matches on one server, they could agree to this ahead of the match (say, a week in advance). All matches must be played on one(or two) of the servers in the NC 2013 server list(if both captains agree, you could play all matches on a server that is neither team's home server).
This way, we could have one blanket rule that we could apply to all teams, but teams could choose to play on only one server if desired.

Also, if you have a complaint regarding USA/Canada using a Chicago server for a home server, check your ping there first. Any of these will do:
USA_Central_POM
USA_Central_Wappaw
Balion_War_Room
USA_Event

Fehnor said:
It would be easiest to have home/away servers for every team. These would be on an approved list before the tournament starts, and teams would have the ability to practice where they will be playing. Some teams may have the same home server as another team. If captains wanted to play all matches on one server, they could agree to this ahead of the match (say, a week in advance). All matches must be played on one(or two) of the servers in the NC 2013 server list(if both captains agree, you could play all matches on a server that is neither team's home server).

lol i'll gladly welcome you guys to finnish servers XD

In my opinion (and you may disregard this, since it's unlikely that I will be part of the Finnish team), USA_Central_POM is quite playable even with my high ping (130+), and I'd say that for playing it's better than some east coast servers. I say that the quality of the server and connection is more important than few dozen ms difference in ping.

The general situation of east coast is that servers are most of the time really horrible, if you find someone that doesn't feel laggy it would be great. Home and away system is horrible though.

Fehnor said:
Shemaforash said:
Home and away system is horrible though.

What is a better alternative?

Kick NA ass on NA servers.  :!:

But there aren't that many of those who can even react fast enough to play with 160 pings when you are using this fastest speed to use your low pings as advantage.

wat  :lol:

i prefer both teams having somewhat similar ping. So finding a server in-between even where its difficult. The issue with home and away is that its often a completely bad representation of skill, because one team wins all there home games and loses the away ones. I know that everyone having bad ping suffers from a similar problem, but it is in my eyes preferable.

Fehnor said:
I am looking for some other perspectives, ideas, and complaints on home/away servers.

Right now, the biggest obstacles to both teams playing on one server are East Russia, USA, Canada, and Braz(s)il.

Brazil - There's been some discussion about using a San Jose server where both teams will get about 240 ms ping. This sounds much less fun than a home/away split. This won't solve problems for their matches against USA and Canada, so another rule would have to exist for them. Brazil has offered to host a server for NC in Brazil.

USA - Traditionally played home matches in NY. However, some US players get worse pings in NY than Europeans, so it isn't fair to call it a home server. A central server would add ~20 ms to pings from Europe, and offer a range of 15-90 ms pings for US players. Currently, most competitions take place in Chicago servers (you can test ping at USA_Central_POM), so while some US players will get 90 ping, it is what they are used to playing competitively.

Canada - Same situation as US, but 25% of their team is on the west coast. Playing in NY severely cripples their team. Again, playing in Chicago would lower their ping to 80-90 ms, which is what they are used to playing at.

Kazakhstan/Eastern Russia: What do you prefer for home servers? Do you have servers with suitable ping in your area?

My opinions from an administrative perspective:
This way, we could have one blanket rule that we could apply to all teams, but teams could choose to play on only one server if desired.

Also, if you have a complaint regarding USA/Canada using a Chicago server for a home server, check your ping there first. Any of these will do:
USA_Central_POM
USA_Central_Wappaw
Balion_War_Room
USA_Event
My advice is to use a neutral server whenever both teams have the majority of their players under 80 ping on that server. If that can't be achieved (providing no funny business) then probably try and do some two-server matches. Don't assume the best solution is to just use one server in one country and one in another. The best thing to do is just try and roughly match the average away pings of both teams, whilst keeping them as low as possible. Use old data (there's lots of it) to get an idea of what to expect as well. Also consider how rulings were made before.

Be careful of special situations like the Turkish team where Ottoman lives in France and will therefore have a much more playable ping on a US server than the rest of the Turkish team. I would set out guidelines about that nice and early. I had problems in 2011 when I had to tell Ukraine they couldn't use a player studying abroad in the USA (so ridiculous that they even tried to pull that in hindsight) but still caused me a load of aggro so make sure you factor it in. It's less of an issue when you have a situation where the outlier has a higher away ping (like me, if UK were to play an NA team) because you can just ignore it and say tough ****. Obviously I'd be a problem if you were planning on having Turkey play home/away matches with European teams (something I'd strongly advise against).

For your specific examples my guesses would be:

Fehnor said:

Neutral US server was the best option most of the time last year. I think NY was fairish for Brazil-Turkey. Other games were played on central/texas servers and stuff most of the time. For their matches against USA Canada... not sure. Home away might even be the best choice there.

Fehnor said:
Really wouldn't worry about the home pings too much. It's not the important factor when it comes to getting as many competitive playable rounds as possible.

Fehnor said:
It's annoying that NA countries are so stupidly big. I guess you have to factor in that it just won't be as easy to give them fair matches as countries with smaller landmasses.

Part of me still thinks that NA teams just need to decide themselves to use the players with best pings when playing with teams across the pond and just decide on the tradeoff between using a good player with a worse ping or a worse player with a better ping. European countries have to do that anyway, based on varying quality of connection, some players just won't play away matches with NA teams. I don't think it would be particularly unfair to make decisions about servers with Canada based mainly on their eastern players.

However, I sympathise with Canada more than the USA since they all have pretty cruddy pings to European servers anyway for the most part. I'd probably lean towards using a Chicago server for Canada - Euro matches in more situations than I would with the USA (where I doubt it would be necessary at all).

Fehnor said:
The Kazakh team ought to do some testing before the start of the tournament. Most important would be their connections to Moscow, Germany, France, Hungary and maybe the UK.

If Kazakhstan have to fight Brazil... good luck with that.

Back
Top Bottom