OSP Medieval 3D Art Narf's Transitional Armour Pack (Updated 07/19/10)

Users who are viewing this thread

Beautiful work Narf. You're really doing professional work. Thank you for making these armours OSP. It's the great thing for modders who don't have any idea about creating models and textures.
I'm looking forward to see more updates :grin: It would be lovely if you will make more gothic/heavy plate, full armors(Which OSP packs lacked, and you are filling the gap)

In a free time I'm working on my dark/low-fantasy mod(and new setting as well) with "more advanced" armory. That's why I need such equipment badly :razz:

*Cheetah pawstep.*

Oh, hey, wait, do it like bows work; you can copy and then rotate the mesh and tell the module system to load the rotated one for when you're not using it.

Narf of Picklestink said:

That's all I've got for now.

Obviously your standers are much too high... and the rest of us benefit from it.
(I may be slightly biased due to the fact that these are the only historically accurate models I can find)

edit: Oh God, wait.. Now when the next update comes I'll have to update the hired blades and start a whole new game!  :shock:

FrisianDude said:
Oh, hey, wait, do it like bows work; you can copy and then rotate the mesh and tell the module system to load the rotated one for when you're not using it.

I tried something similar using Morgh's text tools.......Nothing. I made a seperate carry mesh, but could not get the game to use it. I even tried starting with a strong bow and changing the flags, but that just made my shield invisible in my hand and still shown on the hip. I wonder if it is possible to change how the game orients objects using different flags via the Module System....

Can you make a sheath for the shield? I don't know which items accept sheaths, but I was happily surprised that I could make a throwing dagger quiver. I guess this has already been suggested, without much success.

If there's a way to work around this, I'd be glad to hear of it.

I believe I have it. Actually, I do have it.

You know how shields use vertex animation to make the strap cross the chest? For your buckler, simply reposition the 'strapped' version so that it rests by the hip. It will take a bit of trial and error to find the correct position, but the theory is sound. It will just track to the chest bone instead of the pelvis.

Oh, and did I mention? Frickingfantabulous work. You're an inspiration to us all.  :grin:

Mandible said:
Can you make a sheath for the shield? I don't know which items accept sheaths, but I was happily surprised that I could make a throwing dagger quiver. I guess this has already been suggested, without much success.
Vertex animation could be used to make a 'sheath', yes.

p.s. That tutorial "The Making of Varga" is fascinating. When we get to the point in the Redwall mod when we are making squirrel tails, some of those hair techniques will come in real handy. That info on normal mapping really did go quite far over my head however. For now, the invidia filter will just have to suffice.

Keep up the great work!

Haha, it works! Thanks Llew. I posted my findings in the Forge, with credit to you.

mb83.jpg

mb84.jpg

mb85.jpg

Not sure if it was intended to become and idea/request thread, but you may find this interesting? I rather like this type of helmet. The armour is nice as well, I'd be interested in seeing how you pull off blackened armour with your textures.
armadura_negra_jpg.jpg

That helmet looks more like a tilting helm than a combat one. :razz: Could still be interesting, of course.
CounterPoint391 said:
Haha, it works! Thanks Llew. I posted my findings in the Forge, with credit to you.

mb83.jpg

mb84.jpg

mb85.jpg
Ah, very good. That shield is pretty nice, but it always annoyed me to see it carried on the back. :grin:

Well then, that's solved.  I'll get the bucklers lined up right when I release them.

@CounterPoint391:  I was planning on making that exact buckler- I'm glad you posted that, so I won't bother.  Where's it from?

Also, suggestions are fine, but like I said before, they should be appropriate to the transitional period (i.e. mainly 14th century).

Mandible said:
p.s. That tutorial "The Making of Varga" is fascinating. When we get to the point in the Redwall mod when we are making squirrel tails, some of those hair techniques will come in real handy. That info on normal mapping really did go quite far over my head however. For now, the invidia filter will just have to suffice.

Keep up the great work!

Part of what he's explaining is basically doing what the nvidia filter does manually (btw, you should try the xnormal tools as well- I find the results to be better).  With this approach, the trick is to make a proper height map to work from.  Using xnormal, you can create ambient occlusion maps from height maps, as well as normal maps etc.  This means you can follow the same work flow (to some extent) as the high-poly-> low-poly baking approach, without having to spend the time on a sculpt and setting up bakes and such (which can take a long time, and can be a nightmare, if you don't get it all set up right).

Back
Top Bottom