Napoleonic Wars Studios: NW2

Users who are viewing this thread

s2xvHcN.png

Greetings to all !

Whether you are a veteran player, or a casual one, whether you have stopped playing for a while, or you are still active in the game, there are many people who want to see a sequel to the Napoleonic Wars DLC, on Mount&Blade II : Bannerlord.​
Dedicated players have decided to form a project, to help this wish finally come true. Drama, the owner of the steam group and the leader of the project, and all the staff members are determined to achieve the goal we all have in common with the community.​

Our objectives:
  1. In order to gain credibility, but also to truly represent the community, our first and immidiate objective is to make grow our group. We need as many members as possible. For that, you simply have to join our steam group. We strongly encourage every single one of you to participate to the discussions proposed by the staff, to give your opinion about whatever subject : It is important to us ! You can be sure the staff will always be present to keep the group active, and allow a serious debate.​
  2. Obviously, we cannot start requesting a DLC from nothing. Our second objective, when we will get a decent amount of members, is to gather a developer team, directly in relation with the group. With that team, and of course with the community, we will be able to help at the development of a Napoleonic Wars mod already existing on Bannerlord, or even initiate the creation of the mod in question if it is still not appearing. This is why we appeal to the future modders to take contact with us in order work together. In addition to participating to the development of that mod, we will be hosting servers and events allowing existing regiments to facilitate their transition. What is the purpose of that mod, when our final objective is to get a DLC made by the Bannerlord developers ? The Napoleonic Wars community is getting more and more divided, with the release of Bannerlord, Battle Cry of Freedom. The age of the DLC doesn't help. A new, fresh and worthy mod on the new game that is Bannerlord would stimulate the Napoleonic Wars community, and strengthen our community. It will also help the regiments/teams to survive, allowing them to carry on their activity on the mod. With our efforts, we can make this mod popular. The mod will be a proof to the developers, by its success, that a Napoleonic Wars DLC would be a major success.​
Community staff:

• Drama: Community manager, owner of the steam group, leader of the community staff.
  • WaterPolio: Director of North American activities.
  • DeLaBedoyère: Director of European activities.
  • Norwegian: Assistant Directors of European Activities.

This is also a place of debate, do not hesitate to express your opinion, in the rules of respect and politeness. If you have any specific questions, or if you are willing to help in any way, do not hesitate to add us on steam, we are here for that !​

Last edited:
I do not want to put ill faith into your ideas as I appreciate the very thought of your cause.

However, don´t you think the original devs or some devs from any musket related mod would be a winning horse to bet on? I am sure if you get in touch with some successful content creators your group will have more relevance and popularity. I think you need some celebrities and you need to post this thread in the bannerlord section for it to get more attention.

Anyways, Good luck with it! I´ll join the steam group, I get behind the idea.

Staff presentation:
  • Drama: Community manager, owner of the steam group, leader of the project.

This is also a place of debate, do not hesitate to express your opinion, in the rules of respect and politeness. If you have any specific questions, or if you are willing to help in any way, do not hesitate to add us on steam, we are here for that !​

Regarding the discussion idea I'd say you better get coding or get some coders. Just with Directors and community managers you're not going to create a mod. The last mod was made by the community and then shifted to a DLC.
All dicussion will be worthless if it remains talking.

I played NW not consistently, but for a period of time.

What I want to stress is: this game is not finished. It's still in EA. While I was one of the people pushing for Discord and Multiplayer stuff, it's still within the frames of EA. Putting a full blown mod out while the code might be substantially altered... I'm not sure if that would be a good idea.

I do not want to put ill faith into your ideas as I appreciate the very thought of your cause.

However, don´t you think the original devs or some devs from any musket related mod would be a winning horse to bet on? I am sure if you get in touch with some successful content creators your group will have more relevance and popularity. I think you need some celebrities and you need to post this thread in the bannerlord section for it to get more attention.

I think the original creators of the mod are atm busy with bankrupting themselves with Battle Cry of Freedom. After that's done you could hire them again for this lol.

First off, thanks to both of you for giving your appreciations/advises, as it gives the opportunity to give further details to specific questions.

As TheBard said, the official developers are currently working on another game, which is making them busy. We do have contact with some possible well known content creators. But the creation/development of that mod, is not going to happen for an unknown period of time, as Bannerlord is still in EA. It means we can actually take the time to gather a modder team. For now, our only "active" objective is to make grow our community group. Besides, thank you for your support, it's very important for us.
For the location of the thread, I agree this section is not the most active one, I will think about moving it to a better place, thanks for your advise.

Regarding the discussion idea I'd say you better get coding or get some coders. Just with Directors and community managers you're not going to create a mod. The last mod was made by the community and then shifted to a DLC.
All dicussion will be worthless if it remains talking.

I played NW not consistently, but for a period of time.

What I want to stress is: this game is not finished. It's still in EA. While I was one of the people pushing for Discord and Multiplayer stuff, it's still within the frames of EA. Putting a full blown mod out while the code might be substantially altered... I'm not sure if that would be a good idea.
You are perfectly right, we need to get coders in order to get the mod done, and that is what we are going to do. We do have relations with some modders. However, I would like to precise that the whole project will last for years. In fact, in the immidiate, we just focus on gathering the community. We are fully aware that the game is in EA, and we are not already looking into the mod, it's something we will have to wait, in order to get the correct tools from Bannerlord, but also getting enough support behind the development. Yet, that doesn't mean we can already organize ourselves. What you can see, such as Directors and community manager, is simply the beginning of a very long process. Do not worry, we will not rush the mod. We will take the time it takes, to get a worthy mod.

With the current graphics and incredible lack of depth and content, I don't see it becoming anything more if even an equal to Holdfast.
You forget it is an EA. This is clearly not the final state of the game. Wait for the developers to improve the game. We won't be activily working until the developers release a better version of the game, and give us the correct tools in order to create the mod.

I fully agree with your project and would like to participate. I am an expert in the Spanish army during the Peninsular War (1808-1814). I hope they add the Spanish army in its modification, since it was one of the most important armies of the Napoleonic wars. Could advise on the uniformity of the Spanish army

You are perfectly right, we need to get coders in order to get the mod done, and that is what we are going to do. We do have relations with some modders. However, I would like to precise that the whole project will last for years.

Unless you're planning on paying people, expecting a mod team of volunteer coders and modellers to stay together for that long is nothing short of lunacy. People have real life commitments, they get bored, find other things to do with their time and so on. In about a decade of being in this community, I've never seen a volunteer mod get finished, especially not a multiplayer one. If you want your mod to succeed, you as the leader(s) will have to do the majority of the work, and only use volunteers to speed up the process. If someone you bring into your team gets tired of getting bossed around for no pay and decides to ghost you, then your mod is dead if you yourselves aren't able to do any of the work.

Coding and modelling aren't hard either. I hadn't even attempted to code or 3d model before modding warband, and within a couple of years my work was better than some of the stuff in the base game. And since the game is still in a terrible state, you have the perfect excuse to learn C# and make a few swords in blender as practice. Good luck.

I fully agree with your project and would like to participate. I am an expert in the Spanish army during the Peninsular War (1808-1814). I hope they add the Spanish army in its modification, since it was one of the most important armies of the Napoleonic wars. Could advise on the uniformity of the Spanish army
Thanks for your comment, I appreciate your support ! Add me on steam if you wish to participate to the project.

Unless you're planning on paying people, expecting a mod team of volunteer coders and modellers to stay together for that long is nothing short of lunacy. People have real life commitments, they get bored, find other things to do with their time and so on. In about a decade of being in this community, I've never seen a volunteer mod get finished, especially not a multiplayer one. If you want your mod to succeed, you as the leader(s) will have to do the majority of the work, and only use volunteers to speed up the process. If someone you bring into your team gets tired of getting bossed around for no pay and decides to ghost you, then your mod is dead if you yourselves aren't able to do any of the work.

Coding and modelling aren't hard either. I hadn't even attempted to code or 3d model before modding warband, and within a couple of years my work was better than some of the stuff in the base game. And since the game is still in a terrible state, you have the perfect excuse to learn C# and make a few swords in blender as practice. Good luck.
I understand your concerns, they are legitimate. We are not planning on paying people, it is based on volunteering. We can assure you the whole staff, including the developer team are NW players. We are therefore dedicated and motivated for the project. We all, like many in the community, want to play NW on Bannerlord. Therefore, there shouldn't be problems with cohesion.

Last edited:
What's stopping someone who actually knows how to model and code from doing this themselves? What do you four have personally that makes you the best team leaders for a mod like this?

I'm not trying to discourage you or anything, I'm just forewarning you because modding is an enormous waste of time, and if you bring other people into your project without knowing the risks you'll end up wasting a lot of their time too.

What's stopping someone who actually knows how to model and code from doing this themselves? What do you four have personally that makes you the best team leaders for a mod like this?

I'm not trying to discourage you or anything, I'm just forewarning you because modding is an enormous waste of time, and if you bring other people into your project without knowing the risks you'll end up wasting a lot of their time too.
Nothing is holding back someone willing to model and code alone, as we do not have the pretention to be the most qualified for the mod, not at all. The project is coming from an individual initiative. We are trying to act for the community, but we obviously don't think we absolutely have to be the ones carrying the project that many share. As I said in my first post, we are willing to help the emergence of the NW mod, wether by creating it, or helping other people who took the initiative. We believe that the work would gain in efficiency if we gather around.
We can assure you we are dedicated to the project, and we are fully aware of the "risks" we can encounter.

So do you four bruhs actually plan on learning to make the mod yourselves, if you're so dedicated? Because 4 idea guys aren't going to make a mod.

Nothing is holding back someone willing to model and code alone, as we do not have the pretention to be the most qualified for the mod, not at all. The project is coming from an individual initiative. We are trying to act for the community, but we obviously don't think we absolutely have to be the ones carrying the project that many share. As I said in my first post, we are willing to help the emergence of the NW mod, wether by creating it, or helping other people who took the initiative. We believe that the work would gain in efficiency if we gather around.
We can assure you we are dedicated to the project, and we are fully aware of the "risks" we can encounter.

Yeah sorry but as someone who writes code for his real life job and is very much interested in Bannerlord modding, I have to tell you that I see red flags all over from this thread. You sound like you want to get credit without actually putting any work into it.

I understand your remarks, and I will try to answer them being as clear as possible.
Neither of the community staff (which I am part of) and of the developers team are complete yet. The reason why developers are not the only ones carrying is project, is because the entire project does not regard only the creation of the mod. In fact, there is a whole stage of managing the future servers we would be hosting on it, which is also important. Also, it is essential for us to try to communicate with a maximum of people/regiments from NW, something the community staff (and not the developer team) will be responsible of.
I might not have competences for modding, it is true, but me and the rest of the community staff will have work to do (in reality, we already have). The developer team will be the one making the mod, it is undeniable. But the project is not only about making that mod.
I will repeat it once again, we have time. We will show you the developer team once it is complete. We are only at the stage of gathering people ready and wanting to spend time for the project in the future, for whatever tasks. For the developer team, we are recruiting skilled, experienced people, they know the risk of modding, don't worry.

Yeah sorry but as someone who writes code for his real life job and is very much interested in Bannerlord modding, I have to tell you that I see red flags all over from this thread. You sound like you want to get credit without actually putting any work into it.
I am very sorry to see that, as it is absolutely not my intention. I apologise if I made you think I am wanting to get credit for that. I may not work directly for the creation of the mod, but as I explained before, the project is not just about that. I simply was the one in charge of creating and managing the thread, I have no intention of making personal use of it. Could you please indicate the parts of the thread you are alarmed of ?

Last edited:
I am very sorry to see that, as it is absolutely not my intention. I apologise if I made you think I am wanting to get credit for that. I may not work directly for the creation of the mod, but as I explained before, the project is not just about that. I simply was the one in charge of creating and managing the thread, I have no intention of making personal use of it. Could you please indicate the parts of the thread you are alarmed of ?

Staff presentation:

1) There are four "leaders" and "directors" who know nothing about coding, nor art. How are you supposed to lead a technical team when you don't know a thing about the very thing you are supposed to lead? The "leader of the project" for a mod is the one who does most of the work, clueless leaders are already a bad practice in a project where you get paid for. No one in their right mind would join in on a volunteer project of that nature (and if they did, they would run away pretty quickly).

Our second objective, when we will get a decent amount of members, is to gather a developer team, directly in relation with the group.
We recruited some people recently, so we indeed have a developer team, even though it's far from being complete.

2) You say that you need to gather developers, then you say that you already have some developers, yet you don't share their names here. That sounds like one famous politician I can think of promising "tremendous" achievements with "terrific" people. By the way, your second post was one hour after the first one, so... Which is true?

The reason why developers are not the only ones carrying is project, is because the entire project does not regard only the creation of the mod. In fact, there is a whole stage of managing the future servers we would be hosting on it, which is also important. Also, it is essential for us to try to communicate with a maximum of people/regiments from NW, something the community staff (and not the developer team) will be responsible of.
I might not have competences for modding, it is true, but me and the rest of the community staff will have work to do (in reality, we already have).

3) What exactly is there for you to communicate about a non existent mod for a game that does not have a mod system yet? In the modding community the kind of figure you speak of will join a mod once the mod is finished, and certainly won't lead the project. What kind of work are you doing right now? Please tell me you don't consider posting here as working for the mod :smile:

@Kentucky James VII hit the nail, use this time to learn how to code and/or do art, according to your personal inclinations/preference. Then maybe start developing some minor mods before thinking about doing a full conversion mod. Then after that come back and show a minimal working prototype and ask for people to join you. You might have better luck then (but honestly, I would say that wanting to lead a project of this scope before you make a smaller total conversion mod is probably also going to be hard).

Edit: to put this in perspective, this is like if Callum was the boss instead of Armagan. I don't know of a single game or mod that was developed with the lead of a "communication specialist".

First of all, thanks for your indications ! It is a good opportunity for me to clarify some points that some people didn't understand.

1) There are four "leaders" and "directors" who know nothing about coding, nor art. How are you supposed to lead a technical team when you don't know a thing about the very thing you are supposed to lead? The "leader of the project" for a mod is the one who does most of the work, clueless leaders are already a bad practice in a project where you get paid for. No one in their right mind would join in on a volunteer project of that nature (and if they did, they would run away pretty quickly).
I checked the thread, to make sure I did not make any mistakes regarding the presentation of the developer team. In fact, I never stated the developer team was going to be subordinate to the community staff. The two teams will in fact work in relation they will be equal, but the developer team will be led by an actual developer. Once the team will be complete, a head developer will be appointed, to lead the team. That head developer will be a developer.
You have to separate the developer team from the community staff. Drama will be very cautious giving them enough breathing room. We haven't the intention to lead the developer team, as we do not have the competences required.

2) You say that you need to gather developers, then you say that you already have some developers, yet you don't share their names here. That sounds like one famous politician I can think of promising "tremendous" achievements with "terrific" people. By the way, your second post was one hour after the first one, so... Which is true?
The fact we already recruited some developers doesn't excludes the fact we need some others ! We simply want to wait the developer team is complete before announcing it. Be patient, and you will see the names !

3) What exactly is there for you to communicate about a non existent mod for a game that does not have a mod system yet? In the modding community the kind of figure you speak of will join a mod once the mod is finished, and certainly won't lead the project. What kind of work are you doing right now? Please tell me you don't consider posting here as working for the mod :smile:

@Kentucky James VII hit the nail, use this time to learn how to code and/or do art, according to your personal inclinations/preference. Then maybe start developing some minor mods before thinking about doing a full conversion mod. Then after that come back and show a minimal working prototype and ask for people to join you. You might have better luck then (but honestly, I would say that wanting to lead a project of this scope before you make a smaller total conversion mod is probably also going to be hard).

Edit: to put this in perspective, this is like if Callum was the boss instead of Armagan. I don't know of a single game or mod that was developed with the lead of a "communication specialist".
Me, and the rest of the staff presented on the thread, are in charge of establishing a relation between a maximum of people from the NW community, and the project. We have to contact regimental leaders, important people, and mantain the contact with them. We try to make them join the project, and keep it active. In that sense, the people here in the staff are qualified enough to perform these tasks. Although I will admit it, since the project hasn't really started, there is not much to do apart from that.
I will repeat it, since you seem to have highly misunderstood that point, the community staff is not leading the developer team. They are two separate teams, working together. For instance, I won't have any power-decision regarding the organization of the developer team, regarding the way they work, ect... The only point where I would be able to work alongside them, is proposing a list of (new) features for the mod.

I checked the thread, to make sure I did not make any mistakes regarding the presentation of the developer team. In fact, I never stated the developer team was going to be subordinate to the community staff. The two teams will in fact work in relation they will be equal, but the developer team will be led by an actual developer. Once the team will be complete, a head developer will be appointed, to lead the team. That head developer will be a developer.

Staff presentation:

You might want to edit your first post in that case.

Either way, best of luck with your endeavors!

Back
Top Bottom